[BOOK SPOILERS] Discussing Sansa XIX - The season with no reason

Mladen

What I want for Sansa in season 6: She and Theon find Asha in the woods. Sansa joins Davos to go retrieve Rickon in Skagos. They make it back to Westeros by episode 4 instead of dragging something like that out for a whole season

What I'll get: Sansa reunites with Petyr who has a "new and better plan" for her this time >_<

It wasn't a pointless season for Sansa and Theon...

Sansa learned that all 3 of her brothers are alive.. and both Sansa and Theon escaped. Might be injured, but they escaped.

This is the first time in a long time, Sansa is actually free on her own and has to be on her own.

In the past, she got off easy, she did not have to marry Joffrey or have sex with him nor Tyrion. Ramsay took her by force (which she accepted because she had to.. this is the culture, and the time period) and she is not little sansa anymore. She knows what it's like now to be at rock bottom and she has to survive and depend on herself.

Theon found his humanity again and may remember who he is.. slowly.

Not a wasted season. You just see the glass as half empty.

Think outside the box...

i am dissapointed and saddened that they had her character take on the role that she did. Suffering the rapes did not have to happen though. There were plenty of ways around it. That angle was well over the top. Completely unnecessary.

It wasn't a pointless season for Sansa and Theon...

Sansa learned that all 3 of her brothers are alive.. and both Sansa and Theon escaped. Might be injured, but they escaped.

This is the first time in a long time, Sansa is actually free on her own and has to be on her own.

In the past, she got off easy, she did not have to marry Joffrey or have sex with him nor Tyrion. Ramsay took her by force (which she accepted because she had to.. this is the culture, and the time period) and she is not little sansa anymore. She knows what it's like now to be at rock bottom and she has to survive and depend on herself.

Theon found his humanity again and may remember who he is.. slowly.

Not a wasted season. You just see the glass as half empty.

Think outside the box...

She got easy? I suppose constant rape threats and marrying her against her will is not easy, but that is just me. And I abhor the fact that we know use rape as some sort of "reforging" and "making (her) strong" Sansa. That is one of the most problematic things this year and honestly it didn't serve any point.

If you look for a wasted season, the picture of Sansa this season is what you will find there...

I generally agree with the sentiment expressed on the thread:

1. So this is really better than Vale? This storyline? This is the storyline you were so keen on telling us. Just why?

2. So, rape apparently served no purpose... Her finding the truth about her brothers also served little to no purpose.

3. The cliffhanger of Theon and Sansa jumping is borderline hysterical.

What I most dislike about this season is that she retrograded not just in comparison to her final S4 scene, but her entire arc.

What I want for Sansa in season 6: She and Theon find Asha in the woods. Sansa joins Davos to go retrieve Rickon in Skagos. They make it back to Westeros by episode 4 instead of dragging something like that out for a whole season

What I'll get: Sansa reunites with Petyr who has a "new and better plan" for her this time >_<

These two are destined to meet again but how will Sansa "play the situation this time" after hearing what the actress said before this season when she told reporters," well, I am a prisoner again but I play it differently than before" How, "I use my sexuality". That was her explaination to her marriage to Ramsay. She used it, no, no, no, he used it and abused it. These actors sling a lot of bullshit but once in a while, they give an accurate heads up.

These two are destined to meet again but how will Sansa "play the situation this time" after hearing what the actress said before this season when she told reporters," well, I am a prisoner again but I play it differently than before" How, "I use my sexuality". That was her explaination to her marriage to Ramsay. She used it, no, no, no, he used it and abused it. These actors sling a lot of bullshit but once in a while, they give an accurate heads up.

Yeah I'm never sure what comments of theirs are worth noting. For example, I think Pod's actor said this finale would break the internet or something like that. People are talking about it tonight, and they will in the coming days, but nothing that major happened. The most major thing that happened was Stannis losing and dying, freeing Bolton from any major threats outside of The Others. Jon isn't likely completely dead, so his 'death' isn't that big of a deal.

She got easy? I suppose constant rape threats and marrying her against her will is not easy, but that is just me. And I abhor the fact that we know use rape as some sort of "reforging" and "making (her) strong" Sansa. That is one of the most problematic things this year and honestly it didn't serve any point.

If you look for a wasted season, the picture of Sansa this season is what you will find there...

I generally agree with the sentiment expressed on the thread:

1. So this is really better than Vale? This storyline? This is the storyline you were so keen on telling us. Just why?

2. So, rape apparently served no purpose... Her finding the truth about her brothers also served little to no purpose.

3. The cliffhanger of Theon and Sansa jumping is borderline hysterical.

What I most dislike about this season is that she retrograded not just in comparison to her final S4 scene, but her entire arc.

Yep :agree: I love her line to Myranda " I know what Ramsay is". Sansa, the warning signs were hanging flayed in the Winterfell courtyard for you to see, Lord and Lady Cerwyn, along with their former heir. Theon in a cage, knowing Roose killed your brother and was part ot the murder of you own mother and sister in law yet, you still went through with it and willingly gave your virginity but it was taken violently and the act repeated every day/night. I know the show writters are responsible but the show - flow - continuity is so damn awful it is a laughing stock.

Overall, this was the most pointless storyarc ever written. And I would like to see the mental gymnastics enforced when it comes to justifying this. Or basically better 4/5 of the show this season.

And please don't insult producers. It is tasteless and it has no place in civilized conversation. Criticize the show, storylines, whatever, but not them...

It is not very possible to avoid mentioning the creators, while they themselves give comment on what they create and expose the reasons completely.

To quote directly, “Creatively it made sense to us, because we wanted it to happen". That is the producers on another story arc, but quite reflecting the general pattern of the season.

And then it is echoed specifically in a quote about Sansa, 'There was as subplot we loved from the books, but it used a character that’s not in the show'.

It is quite straightforward that character building or logic of the plot is not the primary concern.

Yeah I'm never sure what comments of theirs are worth noting. For example, I think Pod's actor said this finale would break the internet or something like that. People are talking about it tonight, and they will in the coming days, but nothing that major happened. The most major thing that happened was Stannis losing and dying, freeing Bolton from any major threats outside of The Others. Jon isn't likely completely dead, so his 'death' isn't that big of a deal.

Jon would have to be "dead" in order to be resurrected but people will be waiting in baited breath until it happens but no one know if it will or not. Not really. The biggest factors for talking at this point are really, Jon, Sansa's waisted and abusive divergent and of course, the fall of Stannis and to be more specific, the fall of the once mighty, House Baratheon. Oh and no one is worried about Dany, my neither, her plot armor is the thickest of anyone, including Ramsay.

wtf was sophie talking about when she was like "i dont see how her storyline will continue past this season"

???

sansa has literally accomplished nothing

I do not think Sophie has been told if Sansa is going to be killed off or not. If they killed her off, I was like, well Mel is with Stannis so if she is ther, ok, but she is back at the Wall. Lets face it, Sansa will live, I think she is just slinging bullshit. Theon, I think is dead, he most likely cushioned her fall or it just happened that way do to an accident and saved her life. Sophie/Sansa has more to do and hopefully it will not involve more rapes.

It is not very possible to avoid mentioning the creators, while they themselves give comment on what they create and expose the reasons completely.

To quote directly, “Creatively it made sense to us, because we wanted it to happen". That is the producers on another story arc, but quite reflecting the general pattern of the season.

And then it is echoed specifically in a quote about Sansa, 'There was as subplot we loved from the books, but it used a character that’s not in the show'.

It is quite straightforward that character building or logic of the plot is not the primary concern.

Please focus the criticism on their creative choices such as they are and not their personalities. Calling them names is certainly out of question. :)

Have we learned nothing? Every time someone from GoT announces these things, I expect my reaction to be meh.

I must say, did it occur to no one filming to show how high the snow should have been so they didn't just jump off the wall.

I've already talked to one friend who only watches the show and two randoms online to explain that Sansa and Theon did not in fact jump to their deaths together.

I feel like I'm going crazy here - has everybody else forgotten her move in season 4 ep 8? She lied to the Vale Lords about LF's involvement with Lysa's death. It stands to reason that if her testimony in LF's favour can save him, then her testimony against him would condemn him. That is huge leverage over LF that she simply doesn't use.

She was safe in the Vale, ensconced in the Eyrie (one of the strongest castles in the world) protected by an entire Kingdom as yet unaffected by the war and had leverage over the most devious man in the 7 Kingdoms if he tried anything. As safe as Arya or safer even.

So the historical context of young women in forced marriages doesn't matter; Sansa had ample means and opportunity to avoid the fate she was given. For the sake of giving Theon somebody to care for and therefore prompt his escape, the writers had Sansa abandon this position of strength to become a rape victim, without payoff or impact upon the broader political picture. This is infuriating, and proves that this was the shock factor bullshit we all claimed it was in ep 6.

I read the whole Sansa Rape Controversy thread. Not going to go over it again here much but in modern times it is rape, back then it is what you do regardless if you want to. Yes, Ramsay is a sick MF who took joy in doing it, but she submitted. She submitted because she had to, was her duty, and that was her named husband.

Ok passing that and let's not make the thread about that as there are plenty of those.

The reason I t hink this is better than the Vale story is because it brings her closer to her family (now that she knows they are alive especially). Dramatic irony- we knew about it, she didn't. Now she knows.

I think it will get better from here for her. No she isn't dead..

I read the whole Sansa Rape Controversy thread. Not going to go over it again here much but in modern times it is rape, back then it is what you do regardless if you want to. Yes, Ramsay is a sick MF who took joy in doing it, but she submitted. She submitted because she had to, was her duty, and that was her named husband.

Ok passing that and let's not make the thread about that as there are plenty of those.

The reason I t hink this is better than the Vale story is because it brings her closer to her family (now that she knows they are alive especially). Dramatic irony- we knew about it, she didn't. Now she knows.

I think it will get better from here for her. No she isn't dead..

Yeah, finding out that piece of information is much preferable to her actually ... doing something.

Archived