[BOOK SPOILERS] Discussing Sansa XIX - The season with no reason

Mladen

She'll most likely run into Brienne and Pod. Then they'll head for the Wall. Maybe even Sansa is the run that resurrects Jon by giving him the kiss of life. But I definitely think they'll be at the Wall.

I guess she could have sat in the Vale for the entire season, doing almost nothing other than act as nursemaid for Robin. And then the showrunners would have been criticised for neglecting Sansa.

Learning political scheming is not as exciting as becoming an assassin, I'll grant you.

The argument that "they had to do something with her!" holds no water at all considering they cut Bran completely.

Of all the ways we predicted for the Sansa story to go a few weeks ago, that was among the worst, wasn't it? That's above her getting pregnant or stabbing Walda, but not by that much.

Maybe I'll think differently after I think about it some more. Right now, that was pretty weak and rushed. Especially weak for Theon who didn't even get the heart tree scene.

Of all the ways we predicted for the Sansa story to go a few weeks ago, that was among the worst, wasn't it? That's above her getting pregnant or stabbing Walda, but not by that much.

Maybe I'll think differently after I think about it some more. Right now, that was pretty weak and rushed. Especially weak for Theon who didn't even get the heart tree scene.

Speaking of stabbing Walda, what happened to that plot exactly? Did it hop in the rowboat with Gendry and Thoros and Beric and all the rest?

By the way, Sansa mentioning that the issue of Ramsay's bastardy might be raised will be pointless even if it does pay off next season. Why? Because Roose acknowledges that marrying Sansa to Ramsay effectively means a break with the Cersei and King Tommen... when it was Tommen who legitimized Ramsay in the first place.

Sansa marrying Ramsay should have made Ramsay's bastardy an issue from the offset. But they needed Sansa to do at least something, so we get this.

I think she was always meant to go north. The Vale plot only exists because the 5 year gap was scrapped so GRRM had to show her learning rather than have it all happen during the gap. If she does go south now it wont be to the Vale, more likely to the riverlands or King's Landing.

I guess she could have sat in the Vale for the entire season, doing almost nothing other than act as nursemaid for Robin. And then the showrunners would have been criticised for neglecting Sansa.

Well, I guess that raping her for no obvious reason creatively made sense for someone. But to be honest, a lot of Hollywood sexism has meaning to many different people, so why would I be surprised that this is any difference.

Speaking of stabbing Walda, what happened to that plot exactly? Did it hop in the rowboat with Gendry and Thoros and Beric and all the rest?

That was a plot at certain moment? Let we not confuse the theories and what actually happened.

Wait, are you thinking they jumped to their deaths?

Much empowered. Wow.

Sadly I don't think Theon is going to be killed off, since the show runners cited him as a favourite (as Miodrag discusses on his blog).

So unless there was a magic trampoline at the bottom of Winterfell's walls, Sansa's going to end up as a paraplegic, that will teach her to reject St Tyrion.

Please focus the criticism on their creative choices such as they are and not their personalities. Calling them names is certainly out of question. :)

I did just that. I am not interested in being angry at them. I did not even write to express my disappointment (which I do feel), it is simply that my reasons for being disappointed are in a big part the answer to the things being questioned in the theme of this thread. And guessing at the reasons of the pointlessness of the story lines, is rather less productive than looking into the explanations of the people who created them.

Rereading D&D early interviews about them liking that subplot, Sansa going to developp and be empowered, having to find how to manipulate Rambsay and all that, I really wonder what they were smoking.

In regard to the "liking the storyline" statement, my reaction is total bafflement. Other than a woman Theon knows being sexually assaulted and a bit where they both jump off the walls, what similarity did this have to Theon's plot in ADWD? It's just bizarre. There's no real development for either character. Why would Myranda threatening Sansa be any more of a "turning point" for Theon than Ramsay doing it in all previous episodes?

I did just that. I am not interested in being angry at them. I did not even write to express my disappointment (which I do feel), it is simply that my reasons for being disappointed are in a big part the answer to the things being questioned in the theme of this thread. And guessing at the reasons of the pointlessness of the story lines, is rather less productive than looking into the explanations of the people who created them.

I suppose Risto wants us to take the higher moral ground.

Personally I gleefully call them Ding and Dong and encourage others to write fanfiction in which characters based on them are brutally murdered.

Did Sansa and Theon really live?!?! Like.. to me it seemed like a suicide... even if there is snow, the jump was at leas 20m... it's kinda ouch..

I really loved the scene thinking that it was a suicide but now that everyone is saying that they're alive, it kinda killed the scene for me.

Did Sansa and Theon really live?!?! Like.. to me it seemed like a suicide... even if there is snow, the jump was at leas 20m... it's kinda ouch..

I really loved the scene thinking that it was a suicide but now that everyone is saying that they're alive, it kinda killed the scene for me.

It probably would work better if they were dead. Better that than alive and fall back into the hands of D and D. I mean Ramsay.

I wasn't criticizing you neither it was directed towards you. I would just like to have a debate about what they messed up without name calling that puts entire discussion as easily discarded...

I suppose Risto wants us to take the higher moral ground.

Personally I gleefully call them Ding and Dong and encourage others to write fanfiction in which characters based on them are brutally murdered.

LOL... Well, I imagine I will die with "Creatively it made sense" on my lips, because that one will be difficult to forget...

LOL... Well, I imagine I will die with "Creatively it made sense" on my lips, because that one will be difficult to forget...

Personnally it's this one :

"(...) introduce another character, or bend things slightly to bring back a loved character in whom they are already invested."

It is suicide but they survive through luck and deep snow.

Basically sacrificing yourself is rewarded in GoT while sacrificing your daughter definitely isn't.

However all this doubt is starting to make me wonder if Theon and Jeyne in the books might have had a bit of help. The wind that rustles the leaves might also send them into a particularly deep snow bank, Theon definitely has Bran's attention at that point and Sansa could in the show because of the wedding in front of the heart tree. Reread in order.

Archived