Rant and Rave Without Repercussion 2 (Book Spoilers)

I keep forgetting to post this, but seriously - what even was Dany's arc this season?

Burn a slaver...or any random guy.

Look hot...and badass...or whatever.

Mess up Meereen (the details aren't really important here) and get saved by Saint Tyrion.

Fly a dragon.

Drop a ring.

On a different matter, I'm a little surprised most people are totally ignoring that Jon Snow is dead in the show, as if this has really nothing at to do with whether he's dead in the books...it might be that he's not dead in the books, but it seems more likely he's dead both places and gets resurrected, which, let me just say totally sucks.

On a different matter, I'm a little surprised most people are totally ignoring that Jon Snow is dead in the show, as if this has really nothing at to do with whether he's dead in the books...it might be that he's not dead in the books, but it seems more likely he's dead both places and gets resurrected, which, let me just say totally sucks.

You mean forum posters? Reviewers? Shownly folk? Jon's fate is a big issue for me at least. And I'm still made at all the interviews potentially being huge spoilers.

Clearly not as important as *wink*wink*nudge*nudge* talk with Sam. Speaking of which, I feel like a huge opportunity was missed regarding Sam and Gilly. Why the fuck didn't Thorne send Sam and Gilly away to Oldtowne after the attempted rape. Even Evil!Thorne would want to use the opportunity to get rid of Jon's allies, and it just makes sense. Unless Evil!Thorne thinks rape is good for morale, which seems unlikely, then its a distraction to them doing their job to have Gilly around and having an excuse to get rid of the two of them seems like the thing to do. Even the few Jon supporters left wouldn't object, because they need a Maester. And I'm fairly sure Jon's return to the Wall would've been alot more ominous with him looking for Sam, not finding him and instead nothing but hate-faces staring back.

That whole Sam thing was disgusting. I really hate that conversation between the two of them the more I think about it.

The Thorne idea is a good one, to try and send Sam away. Basically any other way than how they did it.

Team Night King! Join the undead army.

Yup, this is who I'm rooting for on the show.

"Tyrion to the rescue because I'm an idiot who cannot rule"

:bawl:

I absolutely hate how the handled Sam this season and it was best captured by his bro-like conversation with Jon. Sam really struggled with the decision to have sex with Gilly and his vows are in his mind constantly. But such a nuanced approach doesn't work for the show, apparently.

Completely agree :crying:

Agree, Euron is terrifying, creepy, and ominous. Rambosay is a goofy jokey guy with psychopathic tendencies and poor impulse control who pretty much gets everything he wants and is a badass military leader and guerilla warfare participant. Book!Ramsay is pretty terrifying though in his complete lack of regard for anyone or anything, Show!Ramsay didn't even care when Sansa backtalked him and called him a bastard?

book!Ramsay is very scary, with show!Ramsay they took a very bizarre route. I agree with those who call him the Villain Sue.

Have the writers commented on him in the inside videos?

another different matter but I can'help it.

I can't still believe the absurdity of the dialog between Jon adn Sam. Maybe I misunderstood but it sounded like:

- Hey Jon, I see that staying here at my post is becoming even more dangerous than before. Why do not send me away with my wildling paramour? I know you were almost executed for a similar reason but..we are friends and who knows, maybe after long years of apprenticeship in Oldtown I could come back, find the wall standing and you still alive

- Well, why not, you are my only friend here, apart Olly..it is only the worst time ever to send you away, sooo..oK, bye

There are no arcs in the show. Stuff just happens to the characters but they never change.

QFT. Random things happen, they respond randomly with no regard to the situation or their character or the character's past or the character's goals in the future. Things happen, people respond, we move on to where things happen some more, and people respond some more, etc.

Apparently, Sam's empowering is "I can have consensual sex!!!".

Is everything sex for these people? Sansa's empowering also come from sex. Bad sex but sex, nevertheless.

Oh yes, everything in GoT is truly about sex and fucking and bad pussies. Every arc, every character has experienced some kind of D&D change to have it include sex when it wasn't needed - except for, oddly enough, Cersei.

another different matter but I can'help it.

I can't still believe the absurdity of the dialog between Jon adn Sam. Maybe I misunderstood but it sounded like:

- Hey Jon, I see that staying here at my post is becoming even more dangerous than before. Why do not send me away with my wildling paramour? I know you were almost executed for a similar reason but..we are friends and who knows, maybe after long years of apprenticeship in Oldtown I could come back, find the wall standing and you still alive

- Well, why not, you are my only friend here, apart Olly..it is only the worst time ever to send you away, sooo..oK, bye

Yeah the whole scene was complete and utter bullshit. Not to mention it makes Sam look like a deserter. I don't know why they switched up the characterizations and the timeline the way they did.

It was Nymeria and they looked so ridiculous in Myrcella froufrou dresses after their previous scenes :lol: Even Fauxllaria had a tissue paper gauzey monstrosity on. What is with the off the shoulder part of the dress?

oh, phew, I though it could be Obara

I hate the smothering of subtleties in character development on hand. D and D create so many shortcuts (or "shitcuts" as I'd like to call them) in the show...it just makes everything so bland. Selyse and Shireen still at wall? Nah, let's make a shitcut and lump them with Stannis. let's kill Shireen, and do another shitcut and just have Selyse hanging. No need for any before scene, just have her hang.

Sam and Gilly? It's too complicated--all those feeling, just do a shitcut and have Gilly mount Sam after her attempted rape, because it totally makes sense for a woman who was almost sexually violated to want to have sex right after with her (almost) savior. It'll be hot, awkward and funny. Bro's getting laid!!!!

Shitcuts, all over the damn place.

Pardon my french.

oh, phew, I though it could be Obara

Hehe :) Obara was wearing a dress, but it was noticeably more utilitarian and structured than the frilly poofiness of the other dresses + Myrcella's. So at least they got that "characterization" bit right, I guess? Wow, I'm actually giving kudos for having a character wear something they might have worn in the books. That's...pathetic praise and speaks to how bad things have truly gotten.

I keep forgetting to post this, but seriously - what even was Dany's arc this season?

Clueless damsel in fucking distress, waiting to be saved by St Tyrion and the DaarioBrothers now. :ack:

Apparently, Sam's empowering is "I can have consensual sex!!!".

Is everything sex for these people? Sansa's empowering also come from sex. Bad sex but sex, nevertheless.

It's all about bad pussy. ..

I just vomited in my mouth.

I hate the smothering of subtleties in character development on hand. D and D create so many shortcuts (or "shitcuts" as I'd like to call them) in the show...it just makes everything so bland. Selyse and Shireen still at wall? Nah, let's make a shitcut and lump them with Stannis. let's kill Shireen, and do another shitcut and just have Selyse hanging. No need for any before scene, just have her hang.

Sam and Gilly? It's too complicated--all those feeling, just do a shitcut and have Gilly mount Sam. It'll be hot, awkward and funny. Bro's getting laid!!!!

Shitcuts, all over the damn place.

Pardon my french.

Hehe shitcuts :lol:

I agree, this is one of their many sins. In the David Nutter interview about Stannis' death scene and the weird editing, he said he believed editing was supposed to always bring you in after the scene started and before the scene ended (???). I could see that being a good philosophy in a lot of ways for certain types of scenes, but for Stannis' death scene, and the scenes you described, they don't work. It doesn't work to show us only the "event" or "action", we need to see some lead in and some resolution too. Otherwise it just seems disjointed and episodic and laughable, as Stannis' first scenes where one by one he's given more bad news.

Archived