Rant and Rave Without Repercussion 2 (Book Spoilers)

BTW, Euron is... likeable. The guy has fans. Yes, he's shit but he's the one charismatic villain some people like despite everything. Sometimes, it happens with villains.

That doesn't mean they should turn him into some sort of saviour cool guy as I'm sure D&D will do.

I agree. I like Euron as a character, I think he's fascinating and I'm so very interested in his role to play in the future. But I really think D&D will not be faithful to his character. He will be over the top, toned down, or simply a completely different character (which is what they've done to literally 90% of the characters so far in the show).

ETA: speaking of, can we think of who we think is an actual faithful character this season? Like, overall, which character was the most faithfully portrayed? I think Arya, even though she was still not perfect. So my conclusion is even though they do have some bursts of faithfulness sometimes, they are merely bursts and in the larger picture things are still wildly different. Has any character been basically completely like their book counterpart?

And while I was rewatching that scene, I noticed another thing. When Jon and Sam are talking about Gilly and Sam having sex, Jon immediately asks Sam, 'But you were beaten half to death, how did you manage?'

And Sam says, 'Very carefully'.

Really, a poignant and important piece of dialogue. I do wonder how Jon knew the particulars of the event. Not only that, but he clearly knows about the attempted rape of Gilly, and shockingly, nothing comes of it other than provide Sam with an excuse to move to Oldtown with his gf.

I agree. I like Euron as a character, I think he's fascinating and I'm so very interested in his role to play in the future. But I really think D&D will not be faithful to his character. He will be over the top, toned down, or simply a completely different character.

I like that we are getting preemptively disappointed now.

I genuinely don't know how to react to Jon's apparent death. We seem to be split between those who think we're being bullshitted and those who think he has really gone. The problem is, the former has been so built up now - like, four interviews with cast and crew who have used no ambiguity whatsoever to tell us that Jon is dead, I genuinely can't see them going back on it now. We're not children who can be tricked with such an obvious bait and switch. Even show only viewers would be pissed off by that because it's such a middle finger to the intelligence of the audience.

If they're telling the truth and Jon is really gone, I don't really see what was accomplished with his story. They left out most of the stuff about his parentage (which in the books is why it's so difficult to believe that Jon is truly dead - not even GRRM could troll us that badly) so I guess it works in that we've been let down gently, but it's not as if Jon played a vital part in the progression of the story, other than holding off the wildlings long enough for Stannis to smash them. Considering that he's the main character of the entire location, it will just feel like a waste of time, though admittedly not one I feel particularly angry about compared to Sansa in Winterfell or the Stannis Baratheon pain hour.

BTw, I'm not saying Dany didn't need to be rescued in Dance. Obviously, she could have used some help. Just like Tyrion could have been rescued when Jorah took him, or how Jon could have never made it without Stannis' men.

It's not that the characters doesn't need help. EVERYBODY NEEDS HELP.

It's like they were setting it up as the rescue being more important than Dany's own development. In the books, is casually mentioned: "some Dothrakis have been sent for Dany". Here, Jorah and Daario are the big heroes that will rescue the helpless maid while Tyrion cleans up her mess. It's disgusting.

It would be if that is what happens but I think Dany is going to unite the khalasars as she is destined to do and if the Super Daario brothers meet up with her she is going to be at the head of a very large Dothraki horde.

And while I was rewatching that scene, I noticed another thing. When Jon and Sam are talking about Gilly and Sam having sex, Jon immediately asks Sam, 'But you were beaten half to death, how did you manage?'

And Sam says, 'Very carefully'.

Really, a poignant and important piece of dialogue. I do wonder how Jon knew the particulars of the event. Not only that, but he clearly knows about the attempted rape of Gilly, and shockingly, nothing comes of it other than provide Sam with an excuse to move to Oldtown with his gf.

Ooh, I didn't even notice that implication that it means Jon knows about the details of the situation.

At any rate, I'm really glad we got that talk between them rather than them talking about both of their families or more about Oldtown and Hardhome.

I like that we are getting preemptively disappointed now.

:lol: it's honestly the only way to handle it, in order not to get our hearts set too high :P

But I'm not watching next season anyway, so...

Jon is dead. But he's going to be reborn as AA. Thus, most of what they said won't be a lie, Jon is dead, but Kit Harrington will be on the show as somebody else.

What people should be worried about though is that George kills him and resurrects him too.

Yeah, but there's more. They talk more about it, same scene:

S - But the dragonglass...

J - No one's ever getting that back now. It wouldn't have mattered anyway. Not unless we had a mountain of it.

Gee, sure would be nice if there was a mountain of it somewhere and if someone knew about it...

Jon is dead. But he's going to be reborn as AA. Thus, most of what they said won't be a lie, Jon is dead, but Kit Harrington will be on the show as somebody else.

What people should be worried about though is that George kills him and resurrects him too.

The problem I have with that is that they've been so blatant about it. GRRM hasn't always dealt with his fans in the best way, but in regard to Jon he's played it very well. We've been teased with the possibility that he's coming back, but with just enough ambiguity to cover himself if he doesn't return.

BTW, some people here were complaining about Varys being in Meereen, bit IMHo, this was case of show following it´s internal consistency. After all, he was running from KL and wanted to join Dany with Tyrion, so...

Also, does this situation means that Sansa will go to the Wall, convince Davos her brothers are out there and Melisandre will be their magical GPS?

With regerds to Jon... There is a distant possibility it might be the case of Rhaego - like unfulfilled prophecy.

I know what you're saying, but I still don't think that's how it's going to go down in the book. :dunno:

The problem I have with that is that they've been so blatant about it. GRRM hasn't always dealt with his fans in the best way, but in regard to Jon he's played it very well. We've been teased with the possibility that he's coming back, but with just enough ambiguity to cover himself if he doesn't return.

Same. And Kit said specifically he is not coming back himself and is not signed on for next season. If Kit comes back, that's a lie, even if they do the whole "oh well he's not Jon Snow anymore he's Jon Targaryen or AA hur dur" bullshit.

The choices are: they are all blatantly lying, and there's no way around that or they are telling the truth.

:agree: That's why I was yelling at the telly. lol

Just one more instance of Jon being ridiculously stupid. I'm sure it would have been mentioned by Stannis to him at least once he had a talk with Sam about the dragonglass.

I wonder how many Unsullied know who/what AA is :dunno:

Why in the world would that matter in a show where all the horses are gone, but Mel rides away on one? Where there are 7, 6, 9 kings guard and Balon is alive? He will be resurrected and they'll explain it however they want to.

This idea people have had about Beric was in the show/book to prep for Jon or Varimyr is there to prep for warging is mistaken. The world is full of magic,that is all the prep that is needed.

The show lacks any sense of logic, so they can resurrect him as Prince Valient or King Arthur if they want to.

BTW, some people here were complaining about Varys being in Meereen, bit IMHo, this was case of show following it´s internal consistency. After all, he was running from KL and wanted to join Dany with Tyrion, so...

Also, does this situation means that Sansa will go to the Wall, convince Davos her brothers are out there and Melisandre will be their magical GPS?

True, but Varys supports Aegon in the books yet shows no desire to join him. He lies in wait beneath the red keeps, ready to strike just as the Lannisters and Tyrells are getting their shit together. Because ultimately he can do more to help the cause at the heart of power, rather than just help Tyrion run Mereen at the far end of the world.

Archived