Rant and Rave Without Repercussion 3 (Book Spoilers)

Veltigar

Wow. I missed that on Twitter...

Bryan Cogman ‏@b_cogman May 18
Ok, LAST last word. In NO WAY... NO WAY was that comment an attempt to "blame the victim". If it seemed that way I'm deeply sorry.

Only that's exactly what it was. :ack:

My understanding, flawed as it may be, is that he was the one that was charged into "making it fit" into a coherent storyline but yes, D&D wanted Sansa in Ramsay's hands since writting season 2 (actress was 14/15 at time and conincedentally, they knew she would be 18 at time of filming the said season). I think the 3 of them, D&D and Cogman kept this storyline in their close guard between the 3 until witting it officially for the scripts last year.

Yes, you're right.

Why is it Sansa's fanbase seems, from my view at least, to be... rather different from all the other characters? The extreme Sansa fans to me seem very defensive and of course there is the sheer number of threads examining her in meticulous detail. It's intriguing. I haven't seen this with other characters on these forums, as of yet. I wonder what inspires this, as doesn't seem to be such a grand disparity of character depth between her and the dozens of other primary PoV characters.

Why do they keep saying it's her choice and that LF had no idea this would get so horrible? Because it's not like they killed her family or anything. Or that he left her alone with them (and he killed her family, too).

It's bullshit.

Because saying otherwise would make next season less believable, when Sansa memory will be reset and she'll listen to sorry Littlefinger good advices again.

Which is needed so she can assume Alys Karstark role and "decide" to marry a Thenn, of course. They love wedding subplots. :)

https://www.facebook.com/GameOfThrones/photos/a.93667012733.90163.74133697733/10153031997187734/?type=1&theater

The beautiful death of episode 10 is quite nice to be honest... a stag, a fawn and a doe... the pool of blood and the slash confirming Stannis beheading and then his spirit along with Selyse (i know her sigil pre-marriage was a fox) and Shireen walking away in the snow as their animal conterparts

Baratheons man... will i miss you...

Because saying otherwise would make next season less believable, when Sansa memory will be reset and she'll listen to sorry Littlefinger good advices again.

Which is needed so she can assume Alys Karstark role and "decide" to marry a Thenn, of course. They love wledding subplots. :)

I am afraid of this happening. BF will tell her he was wrong, and will tell her he will exact revenge on her behalf with the backing of the Vale army. :eek:

https://www.facebook.com/GameOfThrones/photos/a.93667012733.90163.74133697733/10153031997187734/?type=1&theater

The beautiful death of episode 10 is quite nice to be honest... a stag, a fawn and a doe... the pool of blood and the slash confirming Stannis beheading and then his spirit along with Selyse and Shireen walking away in the snow as their animal conterparts

Baratheons man... will i miss you...

They normally are quite nice. Even the Hardhome one, for however ridiculous and terrible the actual episode was.

I am afraid of this happening. BF will tell her he was wrong, and will tell her he will exact revenge on her behalf with the backing of the Vale army. :eek:

Worse than that, is if they have her kill LF for marrying her to the Boltons, which in the show he doesn't know Ramsay is a nut, despite yes that is stupid, but they've all said this, so she'd be killing him for something that was inadvertent, instead of having her kill him for the multitude of horrific sins he's committed against her with full intent on the show.

Why is it Sansa's fanbase seems, from my view at least, to be... rather different from all the other characters? The extreme Sansa fans to me seem very defensive and of course there is the sheer number of threads examining her in meticulous detail. It's intriguing. I haven't seen this with other characters on these forums, as of yet. I wonder what inspires this, as doesn't seem to be such a grand disparity of character depth between her and the dozens of other primary PoV characters.

I would like to think that we are compassionate and endeared to anyone who has suffered and suffered abuse after abuse for 4 years and yes, I love her on top of that. This season though has prompted me to enter the forums and commenting rather than just read them and she is the main reason. This season was too much and the forums is the only constructive outlet to release my frustrations, admirations and passions regarding the story and yes, her character. I suppose others feel the same way. Sansa is endearing because she just is.

Probably because Sansa gets a lot of hate despite her relative innocence and compassion. I mean she's perhaps one of the most hated characters, and that's kind of messed up when people like Joffrey and Ramsay exist.

Worse than that, is if they have her kill LF for marrying her to the Boltons, which in the show he doesn't know Ramsay is a nut, despite yes that is stupid, but they've all said this, so she'd be killing him for something that was inadvertent, instead of having her kill him for the multitude of horrific sins he's committed against her with full intent on the show.

Yeah, that is much worse. And even worse is if they make her decision of killing him for the wrong reason be a step back or harmful in any way. I.e., it will be her fault if whatever goes wrong.

But much as I'd like to see LF gone, I don't think they'll off him just yet.

Probably because Sansa gets a lot of hate despite her relative innocence and compassion. I mean she's perhaps one of the most hated characters, and that's kind of messed up when people like Joffrey and Ramsay exist.

To be true, Sansa is written for the show to make even more questionable decisions and actions from the books, that goes without saying even before season 5 on the show. Season one was her most unlikeable year, just like book one but after all she has gone through, forgiveness settles in and with it, compassion and empathy. Also, seeing a beautiful, innocent maid (I know, Ep 6 ...) surruouned by perverts like LF, tyrion and Ramsay, you feel protective of her.

They had to force fit her into this situation, she's the one that took the hit, not LF. They wanted us to forget what he did, so she could learn her lesson. Cheby put it nicely in a recap, I came to the same conclusion, there was nothing else to conclude:

What was the “point” of Sansa Bolton? We don’t have a fucking clue. The closest we can come up with is that Darth Sansa was a stuck up little lady who thought she was in control of the situation and was taught differently. And that is so horrible that we would rather just assume incompetence, thank you very much.

http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/121872735796/unabashed-book-snobbery-3-got-s5-s-10-most

I would say the misconceptions about her character traits are more irritating, like the notion, which is constantly parroted, "Sansa = naive", as if that is a defining character trait... or even an actual palpable trait to begin with (i.e. I do not consider Sansa a highly naive person).

When it comes to Sansa I actually believe that D&D will simply continue her story in some way. As seen this season, there is no explanation for any actions needed since the audience mostly proves to be satisfied with “creatively it makes sense” or something similar. Moreover, I personally think some of D&Ds decisions aren’t even worthy to discuss since they are absolutely arbitrary. I accept if some people like the way D&D prefer telling a story, however, what I cannot understand is that there are people who even try to justify the show logic since there is no logic. GOT could properly be enjoyable from a boom-boom-crash-bam-badass perspective, but not from a demanding literary perspective. I mean I sometimes enjoy soap opera style TV (especially when I am having a hang-over), but I am sad that now GOT for me is just as enjoyable as this, a soap opera with swords, dragons and immature dialogues.

They had to force fit her into this situation, she's the one that took the hit, not LF. They wanted us to forget what he did, so she could learn her lesson. Cheby put it nicely in a recap, I came to the same conclusion, there was nothing else to conclude:

http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/121872735796/unabashed-book-snobbery-3-got-s5-s-10-most

What lesson did she learn? I know you think they did this to 'punish' the character, but I don't. They wanted something exciting and are in love with Ramsay and since they don't care about consistency, Sansa season 6 will be whatever they want her to be, empowered, victimized, strong, weak, whatever, everything that happened to her previously is irrelevant.

But, if everyone is correct in their analysis of book sansa that she eventually kills or is the cause of LF downfall, then this will be the case in the show as well...

When it comes to Sansa I actually believe that D&D will simply continue her story in some way. As seen this season, there is no explanation for any actions needed since the audience mostly proves to be satisfied with “creatively it makes sense” or something similar. Moreover, I personally think some of D&Ds decisions aren’t even worthy to discuss since they are absolutely arbitrary. I accept if some people like the way D&D prefer telling a story, however, what I cannot understand is that there are people who even try to justify the show logic since there is no logic. GOT could properly be enjoyable from a boom-boom-crash-bam-badass perspective, but not from a demanding literary perspective. I mean I sometimes enjoy soap opera style TV (especially when I am having a hang-over), but I am sad that now GOT for me is just as enjoyable as this, a soap opera with swords, dragons and immature dialogues.

A far more rational explanation than some of the laughable ones I've read.

However, that EW interview explains a lot as well.

What lesson did she learn? I know you think they did this to 'punish' the character, but I don't. They wanted something exciting and are in love with Ramsay and since they don't care about consistency, Sansa season 6 will be whatever they want her to be, empowered, victimized, strong, weak, whatever, everything that happened to her previously is irrelevant.

But, if everyone is correct in their analysis of book sansa that she eventually kills or is the cause of LF downfall, then this will be the case in the show as well...

Here, from another Inside the Episode thing:

Weiss: “She can see the logic behind what [Littlefinger’s] saying and realize that this is an unpleasant but probably necessary step in getting back what was taken from her... She’s going into this dangerous, difficult situation where she thinks she’s going to guide the situation. The only thing she doesn’t know, that even Littlefinger doesn’t know, is exactly what Ramsay is.”

Here's the exchange:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/17/game-thrones-sansa-ramsay-interview

He didn't clarify anything, and he is blaming the victim.

He's saying she chose to get herself into that mess, a mess that makes no sense whatsoever, that they had to gut her and her story to bring about.

He said she's a hardened woman (really? a 15 year old virgin is a hardened woman?) who chose to sleep with the enemy so he could get an heir and then kill her... because?

Why do they keep saying it's her choice and that LF had no idea this would get so horrible? Because it's not like they killed her family or anything. Or that he left her alone with them (and he killed her family, too).

It's bullshit.

Yeah he came across very badly there. I haven't been defending him as such. As I said he has gone a long way down in my estimation this year. It would be nice if D&D were more willing to engage directly with criticism though.

I only hope Cogman took something away from the exchange.

Yeah he came across very badly there. I haven't been defending him as such. As I said he has gone a long way down in my estimation this year. It would be nice if D&D were more willing to engage directly with criticism though.

I only hope Cogman took something away from the exchange.

What do people expect him to say? He has to parrot the party line? The show created the storyline...which says that it make sense to both LF and Sansa that she marry Ramsay Bolton and neither of them expected it to fall apart or him to be a psycho.

He can't say 'yeah, I know that is stupid'...so he has to go with it, and on that premise, then she made the choice.

Archived