Acrophobia #18 - The Grave Epitaph, Won by Emmit!

Fragile Bird

ROUND 1 Submissions

It seems appropriate to start this game with the first death in the book. Ser Waymar Royce, an arrogant young lordling of only 18 or 19, foolishly ignored wiser words from a more experienced ranger and had the misfortune to have a run-in with a group of Others, who made short shrift of him.

Of course, Waymar didn't stay 'dead' for very long, being turned into a wight shortly after his death, but he did die.

Here lies SER WAYMAR ROYCE ...

1. Adamant Bold Leader
… and very cold undead grunt
2. A brave lad ably ventured, commanding unfaithful Gared.
3. Ambitiously Brave, Lordly Ascetic Vanished Chasing Unidentified Grumkins
4. A Brave Lad - Alas, Vile Creatures' Unfortunate Game.
5. 'Another Brother's life already vanquished. C U,' - Gared
6. A bonafide lordling, albeit vain. Cocksure until gutting.
7. Attacked by lactescent ambulators. Viscerated coldly, unflinchingly, ghoulishly.
8. Abundantly bold, lusted after victory, cunning, undeniably graceful.
9. A Brother's Lamentation: Arrogant Valiance Creates Unwise Gallantry
10. AnOther, be(k)nighted lord
Alas
Very cold. Unpleasantly gored.
11. Another brother laid a-rest
Viciously cut, unholy guest
12. A Brother's Life: Alien, Volatile, Cold, Unforgiving, Gone
13. Arrogant Badass, Lamented and Vainglorious. Corpse Unaccounted Gravely.
14. Aspiring brave lordling's antecedent venture "caught" unexpected guests.
15. Alas brave lad! A vacant, corpseless, unoccupied grave.

Please vote till Tuesday, June 23rd, 10 pm EST.

1. <Submission #> Best grave epitaph suggestion

2. <Submission #> Second best grave epitaph suggestion

3. <Submission #> Third best grave epitaph suggestion

4. <Submission #> Fourth best grave epitaph suggestion

Late entries will be accepted, but you will lose your 1 point for submitting an entry.

Good luck to everyone! The game is afoot....

ROUND 2

We started with Ser Waymar, next should be Ned Stark.

Poor Ned. Loyal, honest, naïve, cut a deal that wasn't honoured. Lost his head. We know he should end up in the crypts under Winterfell, but his bare bones are in transit, somewhere, and may never be found. A beautiful stone statue of Ned has been carved and is waiting for him.

Here lies Eddard Stark...

Your acronym is ONCP

Your deadline is Tuesday, June 23rd, 10 pm EST.

Good luck! :)

There are too many I like. It never happens! Must be a Christmas miracle :ninja:

first 3. Ambitiously Brave, Lordly Ascetic Vanished Chasing Unidentified Grumkins (Because it was the only official version of the NW)

second 10. AnOther, be(k)nighted lord

Alas
Very cold. Unpleasantly gored. (I very much like 'benighted')

third 1. Adamant Bold Leader

… and very cold undead grunt (It looks like someone tried to be nice at the beginning of it and then gave up. Maybe Edd. :ninja: )

fourth 15. Alas brave lad! A vacant, corpseless, unoccupied grave. (The only one I think might stand in the Vale)

Really hard to choose - they are all sooo good! Congrats to everyone. Imagining that I'm reading this on a gravestone, I finally managed to pick four out of the rest.

First... 11. Another brother laid a-rest

Viciously cut, unholy guest

Second... 15. Alas brave lad! A vacant, corpseless, unoccupied grave.

Third... 6. A bonafide lordling, albeit vain. Cocksure until gutting.

Fourth... 9. A Brother's Lamentation: Arrogant Valiance Creates Unwise Gallantry

I've got a handful for the left over thread. Had trouble picking between accurate and sounds like an epitaph and includes only information the Watch would know. Still don't know what I think these should represent so I'm going to hold off on voting for a bit and mull these over.

Very hard to choose. The first round sets an extremely high standard! My reasoning is basically awesome in general balanced against what would actually maybe be put on a headstone.

1. 7. Attacked by lactescent ambulators. Viscerated coldly, unflinchingly, ghoulishly. You had me at lactescent ambulators. Also viscerated.

2. 13. Arrogant Badass, Lamented and Vainglorious. Corpse Unaccounted Gravely. Nice play on words at the end, and of course points for eloquent use of the word badass.

3. 1. Adamant Bold Leader

… and very cold undead grunt Simple, to the point, utterly truthful. And it's awesome that you worked in the tragedy of his demotion from living leader to non-living expendable foot-soldier.

4. 8. Abundantly bold, lusted after victory, cunning, undeniably graceful. I tried to use graceful in mine.

Special Honorable mention to entry 9, which almost made it in to my votes. Standards HMs to 3, 6, 10 and 11. And of course kudos to all. This was a tough round.

I am so excited, my first vote.

1st - 11. Another brother laid a-rest

Viciously cut, unholy guest. This is exactly what I had hoped to do. But did not have it in me.

2nd - 10. AnOther, be(k)nighted lord

Alas
Very cold. Unpleasantly gored.
Alas another wonderful rhyme, that might have been mine - if I were a poet

3rd - 1. Adamant Bold Leader
… and very cold undead grunt.
I really liked this one for its before and after imagery

4th - 15. Alas brave lad! A vacant, corpseless, unoccupied grave. This was just too blunt and true not to get my vote.

many others were oh so worthy.

Archived