Acrophobia #18 - The Grave Epitaph, Won by Emmit!

Fragile Bird

This is my first time playing this, and when I submitted my round 1 entry, I thought "That's actually pretty good; I might do well here."

Then I saw the other submissions and thought "oh... shit..." People are bloody good at this!

Anyway, big thanks to Lil' Ghost and Emmit for helping me salvage something.

If only you could go back and see the first 5 games or so. We were all pretty bad at first. And we all go through the period of thinking our entry is good until the others show up.

Do go back and read the available games. You might get a sense of what flies. But to be honest, it (whatever "it" is) changes from round to round, game to game.

I'd have changed my avatar by now if it weren't for the excellent suggestion of my member title.

Gosh I'm slow! That's a potato! I thought it was a........ a........ a........ The Harry Potter things. :dunce:

A........ A mandrake! That was going to get that little twerp!

Gosh I'm slow! That's a potato! I thought it was a........ a........ a........ The Harry Potter things. :dunce:

A........ A mandrake! That was going to get that little twerp!

Hahaha yes it's a very twisted potato. It was the easiest photo I could find of a hand holding a potato to photoshop out the rest of the picture.

Your interpretation is possibly more fun. Anything to get the little twerp!

Will do. Is the very first game accessible? It would be interesting to see that, but the earliest I can find is #7.

For some reason games 1-6 have been deleted. I guess the mods felt the need to clear a load of old game threads, which is fair enough I guess.

There are a lot to peruse though.

Hope you enjoy perusing and enjoy the game :cheers:

I just got a good giggle from an old entry by Howlin' Howland.

By the way, how does everyone here treat made-up words when voting? Assuming it has a logical derivation and a clear enough meaning?

It's entirely up to the voters, so it's always allowed but it can be a risky ploy.

Nonstandard English makes some people... prickly.

Thus the discussion of a-rest from the last round.

In my defense, adding the letter "a" to words to make meter work in poetry is commonplace. OK, WAS commonplace 200 years ago, but some common words still bear the mark today*:

Away

Asleep

Around

Aboard

Aground

Alight

Aflame

*I am totally making the part about the words up, but it sounds good, no?

I don't like cutting corners in a game where not cutting the corner is the challenge... but I like creativity, so I probably contradict myself at times.

I'll make up words by taking a noun and turning it into a verb or adding a tense to a word that doesn't really have it. The less well a made up word flows and feels natural, the less I like it. My biggest gripe is hyphenating words to skirt the acronym. In the last round "a-rest" is a good example. It added a word/letter to the acronym. Words that are naturally hyphenated are fine and "a-rest" worked so well I almost accepted it. I tend not to like cutting off the front of a word and adding an apostrophe but I've both done it and voted for it when it seemed appropriate.

Long story short, it all depends on the audience. There are rules but they tend to be skirted. What is allowed and voted for is a bit mercurial.

*snip*

In the last round "a-rest" is a good example. It added a word/letter to the acronym. Words that are naturally hyphenated are fine and "a-rest" worked so well I almost accepted it.

*snip*

I'll disagree with this one part.

A word was not added because you would not say

"He was laid a rest."

What I believe happens (and perhaps a bigger grammar-phile than me can help) is that the "a" prefix takes place of the word "to" making the infinitive "to rest", thus allowing the verb "rest" to act like an adverb - telling where he was laid (lain?).

The hyphen is for ease of reading, because the hyphenless arest is just too weird.

But all-in-all I love the free-market economy of this game that allows players the choose - or reject - any answers they like for any reason.

And now to search for classic and modern uses of the "a" prefix.

I'll disagree with this one part.

A word was not added because you would not say

"He was laid a rest."

What I believe happens (and perhaps a bigger grammar-phile than me can help) is that the "a" prefix takes place of the word "to" making the infinitive "to rest", thus allowing the verb "rest" to act like an adverb - telling where he was laid (lain?).

The hyphen is for ease of reading, because the hyphenless arest is just too weird.

But all-in-all I love the free-market economy of this game that allows players the choose - or reject - any answers they like for any reason.

And now to search for classic and modern uses of the "a" prefix.

:agree: Never occurred to me anyone would have an issue with that one since it's a really common thing in old Victorian poetry etc. I don't mind creative wording but don't like creative (read: incorrect) grammar.

12. Our Northmen commemorate proactively.

13. Our Northern crypt protects (nice shout-out to a great crackpot!)

7. Outstanding Northman. Cherished promises

9. Overcredulous northman, ceaselessly principled.

6. Of Northern, Cold Vigor

Huh, just realized after I made all my selections that I chose some variation of North for every one.... Must subconsciously be his most defining feature to me. Other than dead.

Well done, Emmit!

First: 13. Our Northern crypt protects

Second: 14. Outstanding nobleness - Ceaseless promise

Third: 1. Oddly, nobility couldn't prevail.

Fourth: 7. Outstanding Northman. Cherished promises

Fifth: 11. On Noble Causes, Played.

1st) 14. Outstanding nobleness - Ceaseless promise

2nd) 4. Onerous nobility, cruelly played

3rd) 12. Our Northmen commemorate proactively.

4th) 17. Obviously no capable politician...

5th) 7. Outstanding Northman. Cherished promises

HM to 9 as it was strongly in the running for a vote.

Archived