The 10 most moral important characters in the serie (full results)

Lord Freypie

1) Shireen Baratheon

2) Ellaria Sand

3) Doran Martell

4) Jon Snow

5) Davos Seaworth

6) Arianne Martell

7) Samwell Tarly

8) Osha

9) Jon Connington

10) Brienne of Tarth

Exclusions:

1) Cersei Lannister
2) Qyburn

3) Daario Naharis

0. HODOR!

1. Ned Stark

2. Davos Seaworth

3. Barristan Selmy

4. Maester Luwin

5. Brienne of Tarth

6. Samwell Tarly

7. Septon Meribald

8. The Elder Brother

9. Jon Snow

10. Robb Stark

Other candidates who did not make it in the end: Maester Aemon, Bran Stark, Balon Swann, Shireen Baratheon, Septa Lemore, Daenarys Targaryen, Aerys Oakheart, Jeor Mormont, Podrick Payne, Rodrick Cassel.

The 3 to exclude:

1. Petyr Baelish

2. Gregor Clegane

3. Ramsay Bolton

1. Tyrion Lannister

2. Sansa Stark

3. Catelyn Stark

Confused by the thread's title. Morale important, or morally important characters?

Morale: noun; the confidence, enthusiasm, and discipline of a person or group at a particular time.

1.Stannis Baratheon

2. Ramsay Bolton

3. Danaerys Targaryen

4. Arya Stark

5. Robb Stark

6. Joffery Baratheon

7. Renly Baratheon

8. Aegon VI Targaryen

9. Mance Raydar

10. Oberyn Martell

Moral: adjective; concerned with the principles of right and wrong behavior and the goodness or badness of human character.

1. Davos Seaworth

2. Jon Snow

3. Robb Stark

4. Eddard Stark

5. Barristan Selmy

6. Danaerys Targaryen

7. Brienne of Tarth

8. Tyrion Lannister

9. Doran Martell

10. Samwell Tarly

**Stannis Baratheon: moral, but uses immoral means to exact justice

**Shireen Baratheon: moral and completely innocent, but not terribly important.

** Aemon Targaryen: Very moral, but not terribly important.

Confused by the thread's title. Morale important, or morally important characters?

Morale: noun; the confidence, enthusiasm, and discipline of a person or group at a particular time.

Wait, was it characters with the highest morale? Then it would be:

Littlefinger

Ramsay

High Sparrow

Oberyn

Varys

Renly

Khal Drogo

1) Aemon Targaryen

2) Davos Seaworth

3) Jon Snow

4) Sam Tarly

5) Mance Rayder

6) Sansa Stark

7) Jeor Mormont

8) Qhorin Halfhand

9) Wyman Manderly

10) Edmure Tully

Of course, many are worse, but picking among the referenced morale characters:

1) Daenerys: betraying her words in negotiation, rash judgments

2) Ned Stark: blinded by his honor

3) Barristan: same a Ned, but more the fool

1-Brienne of Tarth

2-Davos Seaworth

3-Ned Stark

4-Sam Tarly

5-Bran Stark

6-Irri&Jiqui

7-Pyp&Grenn

8- Maester Luwin

9-Edric Storm

10- Edmure Tully

1-Sansa Stark, really turning into a darker grey every chapter

2-High Sparrow, a fanatic is never light

3-Everyone in Dorne

I've picked my ten most moral characters. The ranking is more or less arbitrary though - I don't necessarily think that any of these characters have better morals than the ones listed right after them.

1. Jon Snow (Selfless and caring. Listed first because perhaps he is the one whose morals have been tested the most.)

2. Eddard Stark (He has taken some hard moral decisions. Died for the principle that the innocent must be spared.)

3. Davos Seaworth (He used to be a smuggler. Yet, his voice is the voice of morality in the series.)

4. Duncan the Tall (His career started with a lie - yet, he became the truest knight in the best sense of the word. Uncompromising honesty where it matters.)

5. Aemon Targaryen (Honest and true for a century.)

6. Brienne of Tarth (Another "true knight", just like Duncan. Desperately wanting to do what is right.)

7. Meera Reed (Trustworthy, loyal and pure-hearted.)

8. Jojen Reed (Vulnerable, yet brave and selfless.)

9. Jeor Mormont (A generous father, his morality was tested by his son's dishonour. His attitude is commendable. Also a true man of the Night's Watch.)

10. Samwell Tarly (Compassionate, sincere, loyal, true to the Watch.)

I agree with several others nominated above, like Septon Meribald (I left him out to include more central characters). Surprise, surprise: There are quite a few truly moral characters in ASOIAF.

Exclude:

Stannis (Shadowbabies, "Lightbringer")

Sandor Clegane (I wish him well, but his moral compass does not work perfectly at all.)

Barristan Selmy (He has some admirable qualities, but I don't think he is among the top ten.)

Ten Most Moral Character

1. Brienne of Tarth
  2. Samwell Tarly
  3. Maester Aemon
  4. Barristan Selmy
  5. Daenerys Targaryen
  6. Willem Darry
  7. Eddard Stark
  8. Arthur Dayne
  9. Prince Aegon Targaryen
  10. Missandei

Three Who Should Not Be On Anyone's List

1. Jaime Lannister - Killed the king he swore to protect, pushed Brandon out the window, cuckolded the king he swore loyalty to.
  2. Jon Snow - Forced Gilly to switch babies, betrayed the night watch and his sworn brothers.
  3. Arya - Sociopathic murderer, no conscience at all, killed a harmless old banker.

Moral: adjective; concerned with the principles of right and wrong behavior and the goodness or badness of human character.

^^ Edited. Sorry, completely forgot that, english isn't my first language.

Hello Lord Freypie,

Love the name. In my opinion, Morality and Clean Hands do not necessarily mean the same thing. Let me give you an example, so please excuse me for not immediately answering your question.

Sansa - She has clean hands and hasn't killed anybody, yet. But I don't consider her moral. She is a party to slowly killing little Robert Arryn. She knows what Petyr is up to and what his plans are for the little boy. She's an accomplice.

Brienne is a moral person but her hands are not clean. Anybody who kills in bunches can't be 100% sure that everyone they killed is a bad man, or woman.

Moral People

1. Sam Tarly
  2. Brienne
  3. Ned Stark
  4. Daenerys
  5. Aemon T.
  6. Elaria Sand
  7. Barristan
  8. Jon Connington
  9. Missandei
  10. Big Walder Frey

To Exclude

1. Arya
  2. Sandor
  3. Jaime

Hello Lord Freypie,

Love the name. In my opinion, Morality and Clean Hands do not necessarily mean the same thing. Let me give you an example, so please excuse me for not immediately answering your question.

Sansa - She has clean hands and hasn't killed anybody, yet. But I don't consider her moral. She is a party to slowly killing little Robert Arryn. She knows what Petyr is up to and what his plans are for the little boy. She's an accomplice.

Brienne is a moral person but her hands are not clean. Anybody who kills in bunches can't be 100% sure that everyone they killed is a bad man, or woman.

Yes but it's precisely interesting to see which kind of characters the readers consider better, for example to see if "clean" characters who were never in position to get her hands dirty will end better classed than characters who had power and did commit some crimes while having moral goals (I'm especially curious to see at which level characters like Danaerys will be in the list).

Out of that Sansa did do some moral things, even with her limited power, like saving Dontos, and convincing Joffrey to throw money at beggars. So it can't be said her only merit is to have clean hands.

I love Arya dearly but I'm pretty pleased to see that no one has put her on the top 10 moral list so far because my girl so does not belong there, LOL! Her morals are so beyond skewed. Anyhoo, my list...

01. Maester Aemon - He is a Targaryen, gave up being a king and has lived a long life, making many tough choices and by all we saw, made good ones.

02. Maester Luwin - Like Master Aemon, he lived a long life, made difficult choices, and made the right ones.

03. Gendry - I know this is a high spot, but this is a kid from one of the worst parts of the Seven Kingdoms who could have turned out to be criminal, but instead when taken from a decent life with no explanation and sold to the NW, he protected the youngest among them, wavered a few times because he could have gone farther on his own, but stuck with protecting them, and last we saw him, has been knighted and is saving orphans.

04. Bran - One of the young ones who has been faced with some very hard choices and he keeps making the ones he truly believes are the best for mankind, literally.

05. Brienne - Stouthearted and brave with loyalty to spare, she is the most moral one who's been out and about in the world for some time and not a maester. She always tries to do the right thing and be true to her word.

06. Jon - Like his father, Jon too truly believes in trying to do the right thing, but unlike Ned, Jon hasn't gone to war and killed lots and lots of people because his best friend has a God complex.

07. Ned - He truly believes in doing the right thing, even to the detriment of his own life and of those he holds most dear. He believes in honor, he believes in protecting the weak and the helpless.

08. Davos - When first doing my list, he was #1, but he was a smuggler for much of his life so I can't discount that. However, he's the most honorable, decent-hearted, honest ex-smuggler out there.

09. Sam - He has a good heart, he wants to do always do the right thing. He just is afraid to always do it. He's getting much better at doing so though.

10. Tyrion - Yes, he killed his mistress and father. That's pretty bad. But there were extenuating circumstances. Tyrion genuinely wants to make the world around him a better place, he's just been told his entire life that he's worthless and so it's been difficult to fight against that tide. But at heart, and in his head, he's a moral person, I believe this. I do and in King's Landing when acting Hand when given the opportunity he made a difference.

The three who I don't think deserve votes:

01. Barristan Selmy - He stood by loyally to the Mad King while he did all of his torturous, burning Mad King-y things. And he was happily willing to stand by as Kingsguard to Joffrey! Even knowing what kind of repulsive bile of pond scum Joffrey was... Selmy was all, 'Sure, dude, as long as you're my King, no probs!' The ONLY reason he went all noble and bent the knee to Dany was because Cersei/Joffrey fired him. Pfft! He'd be still protecting, loyally standing by King Joffrey had they not relieved him of his duty, well, Tommen now.

02. Stannis - Dude burned bunches of people alive, including his brother-in-law, to get his crown. Used magic to kill his own brother! Intended on burning his nephew alive! Treats his wife like crap. He asks for Davos' opinion when he knows that Davos is going to disagree with him (because Stannis knows he needs to hear it) and then when Davos does disagree, Stannis goes and throws him in the dungeon... even though Davos' is totally, completely loyal to him. Stannis wouldn't know true morality if it came up and slapped him in the face.

03. High Sparrow - He's a religious fanatic who plays people like a fiddle. 'Nuff said.

Archived