Rant & Rave Without Repercussion s 5 continued [book spoilers]

kissdbyfire

House was never as bad as GoT. I liked him the way he was, he adjusted himself a bit, and that was good enough. People don't have to be perfect. It makes them more appealing to me when they are not.

Yeah, I agree. I liked House too, at the end.

I mean, he's one of those character that, despite whatever happened to the show, was good scripted, and although many would want him to get away with many things he did, no one in his right mind would want to be like him. He was not a bad man, he was an asshole. That's the balance D&D haven't been able to find in certain characters. Thorne, for instance.

Charismatic villains are ok. They appeal our dark side, that part within us that would want to go out and punch people because we've had a bad day. Media nowadays make apologies for villains, turning them into victims or misunderstood underdogs people end up rooting for instead of the good guys, who are terribly criticised for being "not good enough". It's sad that people would choose an effective villain like Tywin instead of a flawed good person like Dany or Stannis.

I suppose D&D are the kind of person who believe good people can't be interesting unless they have a tremendous mind conflict about themselves. That's simply bad story telling. Sansa has always accept herself. Maybe that's not enough for them.

Call me an optimistic cynical conspiracy nut, but I think those Emmy's were "bought."  Probably not with wads of cash, but HBO is powerful and GOT is their flagship program, I think they pulled some strings, called in some favors, made some promises, to cover for the shitshow that was season 5.  I could certainly be wrong, I don't know how Hollywood or the Emmy's work.

Mostly Emmys are "bought", as people kinda know what to vote for because a show with a lot of noms or winnings calls for more investors and money, even if we're talking about a cable show.

Call me an optimistic cynical conspiracy nut, but I think those Emmy's were "bought."  Probably not with wads of cash, but HBO is powerful and GOT is their flagship program, I think they pulled some strings, called in some favors, made some promises, to cover for the shitshow that was season 5.  I could certainly be wrong, I don't know how Hollywood or the Emmy's work.

Apparently you get emmy's by:
1) The show needs to appeal to members of the academy (most of whom live in California). It's well known that members of the academy don't even watch all submissions because there's just too much TV. So if a show you like isn't nominated; ask yourself, does this show appeal to the members of the acadamy (most of whom are based in California)?
2) The show's producers have to have contacts within the academy to pull in voters.

I think season 6 will be even worse than the 5th. Two more after that will just be completely terrible. I have a feeling what they do in season 6 will determine if there is a season 8. The emperor wears clothes phenomenon will start to fade, it's only a matter of time. I remember when House was a juggernaut and with one car driven through a house, it really went down hill from there.

I share the same pessimism. Season Five showed that the show-runners are very dependents of the books to deliver a good quality material, when they tried to deviate to much they did a very bad screenwriting, mainly Dorne, the mess they did combining the North, Sansa and Brienne arcs and how they tried to get rid of Stannis ; the previous seasons gave some samples (like Qart and Talysa), but the fifth season made it very clear.

In the season 6 they will pass the books and count only with a synopses of will happens, so almost the entire season will be D&D material, that is why my expectations are so low. 

He did get nominated, and according to one website, which tries to predict who will win what award, he's the favourite to win.

He will be applauded if he wins because he's a minority (npi), despite the sexism of his character has been played and showed in a favourable light outside the show.

Well if they are going back to Robert's Rebillion, how about going back a bit further and show us the young Petyr Baelish!   Just think of the pathos they could wring out of the story of how bravely he fought for Cat and She. Broke. His. Heart!    :ack:

If they do a preqel series about Robert Rebellion (it is possible) it can be good, just put in the hands of good screenwriters that can deliver good material. 

]It's sad that people would choose an effective villain like Tywin instead of a flawed good person like Dany or Stannis.

I don't know, I wouldn't say Tywin is an effective villain since his life's ambition seems to be upholding the [high] nobility's supremacy/privilege yet he thoroughly undermined a core principle [the red wedding, the guest right], which more or less amounted to you could trust the nobility to honour their sacred word. 

Stannis is much more of a sympathetic villain in my opinion because he is technically [ignoring the True King Aegon VI] right whilst having essentially negligible support. As for Khaleesi ( :ack: ) she's really nothing, basically a case study in what not to do when you are for all intents and purposes the anointed monarch of a country... and here's hoping your name sake and Aegon learn her the damn lesson. 

I don't know, I wouldn't say Tywin is an effective villain since his life's ambition seems to be upholding the [high] nobility's supremacy/privilege yet he thoroughly undermined a core principle [the red wedding, the guest right], which more or less amounted to you could trust the nobility to honour their sacred word. 

Stannis is much more of a sympathetic villain in my opinion because he is technically [ignoring the True King Aegon VI] right whilst having essentially negligible support. As for Khaleesi ( :ack: ) she's really nothing, basically a case study in what not to do when you are for all intents and purposes the anointed monarch of a country... and here's hoping your name sake and Aegon learn her the damn lesson. 

You're kinda proving my point about "effective villain" tropes. Tywin actually manages to do what he plans. Like, he defeated Robb Stark, and he effectively put down the Tarbecks and Reynes. Readers and Unsullied believe "the Rains of Castamere" being the epitome of Tywin's badassery while ignoring the fact he murdered innocent women and children. And with that in mind, Dany is often trashed by how she hasn't been successful in her ruling of Meereen.

I'll tell you a real life example: my former mayor was a leftist woman. She didn't have one month in charge and people talked about removing her from her office and called her lazy because she spent that month organising the City Hall. Later, she did something her predecessors never did: studies and research before actually building anything. Again, her "lazy" accusations kicked in louder than ever. By the end of her time (last year), the press and the radical right wing had shamed her so much that it was elected a guy who was a mayor before her despite he was a mess and he was a proven thief. Our mayor has now cancelled all art programs, ordered to cover all murals in the city and painted yellow (the colour of his party), shut down a main project left by the former mayor because no reason given, cut threes, boycotted the public transportation reform left by past ruling and corrupt the city zoo so bad that they have no money now and had to kill some of the animals to feed the others. He has 61% of approval because people "see" the things he has done. The former mayor promoted culture and you couldn't eat that. 

LOL.

If anyone was shunned by the Emmys was NCW before his Larryfication. He definitely deserved more noms than those of Peter Dinklage's.

Just wanted to come in and say this. NCW was easily comparable to heavyweights like Dillane and Bean when D&D weren't screwing with his book material. Which was basically only season 3. And it makes me mad just to think about what could have been on screen.

Just read they're also making a prequel?

So, is Dunk going to rape Egg or is Egg going to rape Dunk? :dunno:

Don't let those people near my babieees!!!! I mean, the prequel possibly would be made by other writers, right? right? And D&D won't be interested in stupid children story like Dunk and Egg, right? 

So there's rumours that Michelle Fairley has been spotted near Belfast where GOT shoots? I have to be honest, given the trajectory of season five, the recent confirmation of their being eight seasons, and casting call for Euron, I could see this season being something of a hot mess...again. I don't know, but it feels to me that we're going to get a strange amalgamation of Dance, Crow, and some Winds material, with a few of B&W's own ideas thrown in the mix. 

So there's rumours that Michelle Fairley has been spotted near Belfast where GOT shoots? I have to be honest, given the trajectory of season five, the recent confirmation of their being eight seasons, and casting call for Euron, I could see this season being something of a hot mess...again. I don't know, but it feels to me that we're going to get a strange amalgamation of Dance, Crow, and some Winds material, with a few of B&W's own ideas thrown in the mix. 

I think you got the mixture wrong. It will become a strange amalgamation of D&Ds own fanfic sprinkled with bits from Feast, Dance and Winds so that they are still able to claim that it's 'basically exactly like in the books'. Sigh.

LSH now? I... can't even... Well, okay, that would be better than forcing Sansa into this role (or Beric as I expect), but by now she must already be one of that spooky skeletons instead of a badly reanimated corpse. Ah, but who cares for timelines anyway...

You're kinda proving my point about "effective villain" tropes. Tywin actually manages to do what he plans. Like, he defeated Robb Stark, and he effectively put down the Tarbecks and Reynes. Readers and Unsullied believe "the Rains of Castamere" being the epitome of Tywin's badassery while ignoring the fact he murdered innocent women and children. And with that in mind, Dany is often trashed by how she hasn't been successful in her ruling of Meereen.

I'll tell you a real life example: my former mayor was a leftist woman. She didn't have one month in charge and people talked about removing her from her office and called her lazy because she spent that month organising the City Hall. Later, she did something her predecessors never did: studies and research before actually building anything. Again, her "lazy" accusations kicked in louder than ever. By the end of her time (last year), the press and the radical right wing had shamed her so much that it was elected a guy who was a mayor before her despite he was a mess and he was a proven thief. Our mayor has now cancelled all art programs, ordered to cover all murals in the city and painted yellow (the colour of his party), shut down a main project left by the former mayor because no reason given, cut threes, boycotted the public transportation reform left by past ruling and corrupt the city zoo so bad that they have no money now and had to kill some of the animals to feed the others. He has 61% of approval because people "see" the things he has done. The former mayor promoted culture and you couldn't eat that. 

Instances like this make me believe majority deserves to be ruled by dicks like these. Woe to the minority though.

That is the problem with this world. People who genuinely care what is right, lack the practice in pragmatism and deception most of the time. I think this is what also Martin makes a point of. Good people do not always make good rulers. At least, it's one of the lessons we may learn. It is kind of ironic the fandom also proves him right in such a way.

On the topic of Robert's Rebellion: Am I the only one who thinks this is a story which would lose it's meaning if it is told strictly like a story and/or adapted to screen as a movie? I think much of it's meaning lies in the poetic, fairytale-ish nature of it. I think the reason we see it as a past event, mentioned from time to time, is it is another trope subversion by Martin. It being a past event, almost legend-esque is the point. It's main event is where the handsome prince who kidnaps a princess for love; faces the brute in the midst of battle one by one. And he loses! We also hear the story from the said brute, not from the handsome herothe champion of love. Sadly, love does not triumph over strength. This whole story is like Illiad.

Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably and Rhaegar died. As I said, it being a backstory is probably the point.

Show us all of this story in close and the magic is probably gone. It also does not end in a way a story should finish. It is too much like bad guys win and world is crapsacksauce of a place. Even good writers might not preserve the magic of this story. D&D on the other hand? .... *Jumps off the tower together with Ashara Dayne.

It could be so bad that it could be actually good though, but D&D can't even manage that.

I think you got the mixture wrong. It will become a strange amalgamation of D&Ds own fanfic sprinkled with bits from Feast, Dance and Winds so that they are still able to claim that it's 'basically exactly like in the books'. Sigh.

LSH now? I... can't even... Well, okay, that would be better than forcing Sansa into this role (or Beric as I expect), but by now she must already be one of that spooky skeletons instead of a badly reanimated corpse. Ah, but who cares for timelines anyway...

I was more thinking along the lines that now, after the off-shoots in season five, they're going to try to double back and follow the books a bit more closely. Especially if the rumours are true and they're introducing Stoneheart, Euron, and Septon Merribald. Which, in my mind, will just be confusing and messy.

I also have to admit to being genuinely curious if they'll recast baby Sam with a three year old this season...

well, she could've been reanimated three days after her death but was doing...something...all this time? On the other hand Cat may appear in Bran's visions.

Archived