U.S. Politics: mid summer edition

TerraPrime

Ok. Serious Question: How will The Donald fare at tomorrow's debates?

I really can't say for sure. On one hand, he is pretty quick on his feet, and could probably hold his own against debate partners

On the other, I haven't really seen him display much detailed knowledge of the issues at hand. HIs speeches have been awful generally, mostly filled with general anger/dissatisfaction and self promotion, rather than any vision or policy initiatives. I think it may be that he is exposed as an empty suit tomorrow and his large lead evaporates.

I wonder what would happen if he were the nominee?

Ok. Serious Question: How will The Donald fare at tomorrow's debates?

I really can't say for sure. On one hand, he is pretty quick on his feet, and could probably hold his own against debate partners

On the other, I haven't really seen him display much detailed knowledge of the issues at hand. HIs speeches have been awful generally, mostly filled with general anger/dissatisfaction and self promotion, rather than any vision or policy initiatives. I think it may be that he is exposed as an empty suit tomorrow and his large lead evaporates.

I wonder what would happen if he were the nominee?

To answer your last question, Hillary Clinton would win 400+ electoral votes.

Although I think it's likely Trump will embarrass himself tomorrow, I always keep in mind that he's got appeal to Republicans because, well, Republican voters have been trained to respond to just the kind of dog whistles Trump sounds. So maybe the pundits will pan him, but it's possible Republican viewers might not.

Political debates in the US are a sham. Debates with more than 3 candidates even more so.

And don't even mention a 10 candidate debate. It is going to be an absolute sideshow. best to just make a drinking game out of it. 

https://reverbpress.com/politics/reverb-press-2016-gop-presidential-debate-drinking-game/

That being said, I have a feeling Donald will be the highlight. You know he's going to light up at least one of these clowns. My hope is that someone manages to light him up as well. That could be fun. 

My suspicion is that he will get flustered, angry, and look pretty hideously bad when talking with someone else. He'll be fine talking nonsense with his random bullshit, but someone debating him will likely get him to indicate that he knows literally nothing about something. 

My suspicion is that he will get flustered, angry, and look pretty hideously bad when talking with someone else. He'll be fine talking nonsense with his random bullshit, but someone debating him will likely get him to indicate that he knows literally nothing about something. 

But do candidates in the debate actually engage each other? Seems like a recipe for a clusterfuck with 10 candidates.

I've gotten to the point where I don't think it matters how bad or stupid he looks in the debate -- the swath of the Republican base who are poor, uneducated, and resentful, and just waking up to the fact that the Republican Party has been abusing their misplaced trust for generations, will eat up his shtick no matter what. The more he pisses in the other candidates' corn flakes, the better they'll like him.

But do candidates in the debate actually engage each other? Seems like a recipe for a clusterfuck with 10 candidates.

Not really, but you know that since Trump is the front runner they will ask other candidates about him and then ask him for a rebuttal.

I've gotten to the point where I don't think it matters how bad or stupid he looks in the debate -- the swath of the Republican base who are poor, uneducated, and resentful, and just waking up to the fact that the Republican Party has been abusing their misplaced trust for generations, will eat up his shtick no matter what. The more he pisses in the other candidates' corn flakes, the better they'll like him.

I can honestly see him blowing the process up. Not waiting his turn. Getting defensive and talking over whomever had the floor and is attacking him directly. Exhibiting little to no self control.

There are definitely ways that Trump could trip up at the debate that even his supporters would notice and care about.  If he has a gaffe like Perry's at the last debate, that would look really bad.  If he just comes across as flustered and angry, that isn't a good look for anybody, and would hurt him in the polls. 

However, I expect he will completely ignore both the moderator and his opponents, and just talk to the camera, giving shortened versions of his stump speech.  Thus, I think he will do just fine at the debates, and people who like him will say he was "above the fray" and "presidential". 

I can honestly see him blowing the process up. Not waiting his turn. Getting defensive and talking over whomever had the floor and is attacking him directly. Exhibiting little to no self control.

The subplot I'm interested in for this debate: will Ted Cruz, who used to be the lead anti-establishment gadfly within the GOP, try to pile on Trump, or align with him in the hopes of dining on the scraps that fall from his table?

I dont know if anyone remembers the comedy central roast of Donal Trump, but it was pretty much 10 or so people taking pot shots at Trump, and him giving it back at the end. I do think he showed some good humor at the potshots taken at him and acquited himself fairly well. But my memory isnt what it used to be....

Now I also think a lot of what Trump does is performance art, and his real opinions are a little more nuanced (hopefully). I actually think he may have a little more empathy than his public pronouncements lead us to believe.

Or maybe he just jumped on the crazy train post 9-11 like a lot of people did.

To answer your last question, Hillary Clinton would win 400+ electoral votes.

Although I think it's likely Trump will embarrass himself tomorrow, I always keep in mind that he's got appeal to Republicans because, well, Republican voters have been trained to respond to just the kind of dog whistles Trump sounds. So maybe the pundits will pan him, but it's possible Republican viewers might not.

Nope republicans have a much higher floor than that, meaning it is impossible for any Democrat to win 400 EVS no matter the circumstances, as 96 or 08 illustrate. Democrats have a very very low floor though, as illustrated by 72 or 84, meaning a Republican can accrue more than 400 EVs.

Now I also think a lot of what Trump does is performance art, and his real opinions are a little more nuanced (hopefully). I actually think he may have a little more empathy than his public pronouncements lead us to believe.

Even if he doesn't actually believe the stupid and awful things he says, I take a dim view of someone who would say those things and espouse those positions just for personal gain.

Nope republicans have a much higher floor than that, meaning it is impossible for any Democrat to win 400 EVS no matter the circumstances, as 96 or 08 illustrate. Democrats have a very very low floor though, as illustrated by 72 or 84, meaning a Republican can accrue more than 400 EVs.

Do you really think the 1984 election is relevant in describing Democrats floor in the electoral college of 2016?  The 2010 election was about as bad as it could get for democrats, and they still won the governor's race in 13 states, worth 178 electoral votes, and that's with lots of states not voting for governor (for example, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Washington).

EDIT:  Both parties have a pretty high floor at this point. 

Are you kidding? HE MAKES YOU LOVE

Good point, perhaps trump is kellhus, but that would also raises an important cnaiur question. Jeb Bush is obviously conphas to trump, and Rubio is clearly proyas, but who is cnaiur? Cruz or paul, I say cruz, which perhaps makes Paul is saubon?

Huckabee and Carson would lead the vulgar holy war, and Christie is probably gothyelk, kasich is probably gotian, or martemus, and naturally walker is chepheramunni (the scarlet spires puppet ruler).

The subplot I'm interested in for this debate: will Ted Cruz, who used to be the lead anti-establishment gadfly within the GOP, try to pile on Trump, or align with him in the hopes of dining on the scraps that fall from his table?

If you've paid attention to Cruz, it's obvious he won't. 

Ask Rick Perry what piling on Trump gets you. 

Do you really think the 1984 election is relevant in describing Democrats floor in the electoral college of 2016?  The 2010 election was about as bad as it could get for democrats, and they still won the governor's race in 13 states, worth 178 electoral votes, and that's with lots of states not voting for governor (for example, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Washington).

EDIT:  Both parties have a pretty high floor at this point. 

When it comes to this next election, lokisnow thinks he's Nate Silver and Hari Seldon's love child in a precog tank full of melange.  There really is no discussion to be had here.  Just jot down his predictions so you can bring them back up if he does this next time around. 

He's pretty open to discussion about other stuff tho.

Archived