Wow, I Never Noticed That v. 13

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Given someone named Wylla was believed to be the mother of Jon Snow, Ned's reluctance to discuss the matter and the obvious slight on Cat, it seems an untactful name for Wylis Manderly to give to his daughter a few years following Jon's birth.

On the other hand, Wylis Manderly might have known Wylla as a faithful wetnurse serving Ned Lord Stark's son. In that case, he had shown his fealty once more.

How common was that knowledge of Wylla? We know Robert was familiar with the name, we know Edric Dayne (and therefore probably more at Starfall, as Edric needed to have heard the name from somewhere) was familiar with the name... But was the name known in the North? Catelyn never mentions it, and neither did Arya hear any rumours about a Wylla in Winterfell. So does anyone in the North know the name?

For a family with the names WymanWylis, and Wynafryd, the name Wylla seems to be more of a family name, than an attempt to display fealthy (as in that case, you'd be more likely to chose another name, a name closer to the Lord you wich to display your fealthy to, like naming your child after the Lord in question, said Lord's wife, child, or other beloved family members). Not after a wetnurse.

Arya actually saved all the cats in the Red Keep from Joffrey!

AGoT:

The Red Keep was full of cats: lazy old cats dozing in the sun, coldeyed mousers twitching their tails, quick little kittens with claws like needles, ladies’ cats all combed and trusting, ragged shadows prowling the midden heaps. One by one Arya had chased them down and snatched them up and brought them proudly to Syrio Forel... all but this one, this one-eared black devil of a tomcat.

Look what happened to the unlucky cat who managed to get into the Red Keep after Arya left:

ACoK:

A yellow cat was dying on the ground, mewling piteously, a crossbow quarrel through its ribs. Sansa stepped around it, feeling ill. 

"Daenerys, " Davos said. "She was named for the Daenerys who wed the Prince of Dorne during the reign of Daeron the Second. I don't know what became of her."

"I do," said the man who'd started all the talk of dragons, a Braavosi oarsman in a somber woolen jack. "When we were down to Pentos we moored beside a trader called the Sloe-Eyed Maid, and I got to drinking with her captain's steward. He told me a pretty tale about some slip of a girl who come aboard in Qarth, to try and book passage back to Westeros for her and three dragons. Silver hair she had, and purple eyes. ‘I took her to the captain my own self,' this steward swore to me, ‘but he wasn't having none of that. There's more profit in cloves and saffron, he tells me, and spices won't set fire to your sails.' "

Davos II, Dance 15

So, the George saw more profit in black (cloves) and red (saffron) than in having Daenerys head directly to Westeros from Qarth.

I never forgot the conversation Catelyn had with Marillion at the Inn at the Crossroads:

"No doubt you’ve been to Riverrun.”
“A hundred times,” the singer said airily. “They keep a chamber for me, and the young lord is like a brother.”
Catelyn smiled, wondering what Edmure would think of that. Another singer had once bedded a girl her brother fancied; he had hated the breed ever since.

(AGoT,Ch.28 Catelyn V)

Nor Edmure Tully's reaction to Tom Sevenstrings after Jamie takes custody of him:

"Singer, play for our guest whilst he eats. You know the song, I trust.”
“The one about the rain? Aye, my lord. I know it.”
Edmure seemed to see the man for the first time. “No. Not him. Get him away from me.”
“Why, it’s just a song,” said Jaime. “He cannot have that bad a voice.”

(AFfC,Ch.38 Jaime VI)

But I did miss the middle bit:

"Lord Hoster was hanging outlaws before you were shaving. And that son of his … a man who hates music can’t be trusted, I always say.”
“It’s not music he hates,” said Lem. “It’s you, fool.”
“Well, he has no cause. The wench was willing to make a man of him, is it my fault he drank too much to do the deed?”
Lem snorted through his broken nose. “Was it you who made a song of it, or some other bloody arse in love with his own voice?”
“I only sang it the once,” Tom complained. “And who’s to say the song was about him? ’Twas a song about a fish.”
“A floppy fish,” said Anguy, laughing."

(ASoS,Ch.22 Arya IV)

Vanity, thy name is Edmure. He was probably relieved to hear only the Rains of Castamere.

Interesting... but dwarves only have regular sized heads, don't they? A dwarf with ser Gregor's head would be impossible. Unless Qyburn could mash it with another one and make it bigger?

I had a quick google and sources seem to be divided about whether those with Achondroplasia have a larger head than normal or just larger proportionate to their body size.

How common was that knowledge of Wylla? We know Robert was familiar with the name, we know Edric Dayne (and therefore probably more at Starfall, as Edric needed to have heard the name from somewhere) was familiar with the name... But was the name known in the North? Catelyn never mentions it, and neither did Arya hear any rumours about a Wylla in Winterfell. So does anyone in the North know the name?

For a family with the names WymanWylis, and Wynafryd, the name Wylla seems to be more of a family name, than an attempt to display fealthy (as in that case, you'd be more likely to chose another name, a name closer to the Lord you wich to display your fealthy to, like naming your child after the Lord in question, said Lord's wife, child, or other beloved family members). Not after a wetnurse.

That sounds like the most likely explanation. I can't believe that anyone would be named after a bastard's wetnurse

Vanity, thy name is Edmure. He was probably relieved to hear only the Rains of Castamere.

vanity? that was a really jerkish move on Tom's part. For us it is hilarious, but I understand Edmure's grudge. It could be smallfolk's way of "rebelling" but I have a suspicion that Tom wouldn't have done such a thing with a "strong" lord (some other lord would just hunt Tom down and hang him or whip him, imagine Tywin's reaction).

Vanity because, humiliating (and jerkish on Tom's part) as it was, it was more than 15 years ago. Since then he has lost his virginity, and got his wife pregnant, and been brought out to the scaffold each day by one of the bastards that used his wedding to slaughter his army.

A song about a floppy fish is really the least of his worries, I would have thought. (Although you are right, Tywin would never forget or forgive, but Tywin has no sense of humour)

Vanity because, humiliating (and jerkish on Tom's part) as it was, it was more than 15 years ago. Since then he has lost his virginity, and got his wife pregnant, and been brought out to the scaffold each day by one of the bastards that used his wedding to slaughter his army.

A song about a floppy fish is really the least of his worries, I would have thought. (Although you are right, Tywin would never forget or forgive, but Tywin has no sense of humour)

Also, Tywin would have had nothing to do with whores or wenches... oh wait...

but it's not like he was thinking about it every minute, he just hates singers. And yes, he was imprisoned, humiliated - seeing Tom was the last stroke. It's not like he demanded his head. And Tom wasn't just there, Jaime ordered him to sing the Rains of Castamere. And it's likely that they worked things out after Jaime left.

Like, I won't call it vanity. pettiness maybe 

As Tze described way back in v.2, Tyrion's dismissal of Ballabar in favor of Frenken was rather paranoid and points at flawed logic by Tyrion after the Battle of the Blackwater. Notice how Tyrion also resents his father for usurping his position as Hand. But Tyrion only served as Hand by the grace of Tywin, and only in Tywin's place as Tywin was in the field. Tyrion had no right to be resentful of being removed from the office. 

Now, a not so small question: Tywin tells usthat Cersei asked Paxter to allow his maester to treat Tyrion and save his life. Why did she do that? 

ETA

Tyrion assumes Mandon had no reason to want him dead. Apparently Tyrion forgot that he threatened to have Mandon killed upon his arrival to King's Landing. 

(I really hate this new layout. Just wait til the unsullied return.)

I know there have been two threads on this, but I was not able to get into them...

Walda's letters were coded messages from Tywin via Walder. 

The Lady Walda wrote from the Twins almost every day, but all the letters were the same. "I pray for you morn, noon, and night, my sweet lord," she wrote, "and count the days until you share my bed again. Return to me soon, and I will give you many trueborn sons to take the place of your dear Domeric and rule the Dreadfort after you."

Most of the obscure riddle prophecy type shit I missed the first time around, thinking they didn't mean much. But reading through again and reading everything more carefully I find that almost every line in the book has some sort of meaning, even if it isn't obvious at first. My second read through and I am currently on a Feast/Dragon simultaneous read and I got to say I enjoyed the books much more the second time around.

And I got to say, the first book in the series felt the most SOLID. I feel like every word is just perfectly in place, any less or more and the book would not be as great as it is. Quite a fantastic start to the series and the rest keeps up that pace but Thrones feels the most perfect of the bunch.

(I really hate this new layout. Just wait til the unsullied return.)

I know there have been two threads on this, but I was not able to get into them...

Walda's letters were coded messages from Tywin via Walder. 

What do you think the hidden message was?

ETA:  Promise of legitimization of Ramsey?

Argh! God damned m@$!#/ f@$!#/s.

Let's try this again...

The Lady Walda wrote from the Twins almost every day, but all the letters were the same. "I pray for you morn, noon, and night, my sweet lord," she wrote, "and count the days until you share my bed again. Return to me soon, and I will give you many trueborn sons to take the place of your dear Domeric and rule the Dreadfort after you."

Arya X, Clash 64

The letter is a coded message from Walder, informing Roose that Tywin has agreed to legitimize Ramsay in return for his betrayal of Robb Stark.

"I will send a letter of my own," he told the onetime maester.

"To the Lady Walda?"

"To Ser Helman Tallhart."

A rider from Ser Helman had come two days past. Tallhart men had taken the castle of the Darrys, accepting the surrender of its Lannister garrison after a brief siege.

"Tell him to put the captives to the sword and the castle to the torch, by command of the king. Then he is to join forces with Robett Glover and strike east toward Duskendale. Those are rich lands, and hardly touched by the fighting. It is time they had a taste. Glover has lost a castle, and Tallhart a son. Let them take their vengeance on Duskendale."

Arya X, Clash 64

Robb never would have ordered captives put to the sword summarily or Darry Castle to be torched. This is a clue that something is amiss, and these orders are not coming from Robb.

"It is wolves I mean to hunt. I can scarcely sleep at night for the howling." Bolton buckled on his belt, adjusting the hang of sword and dagger. "It's said that direwolves once roamed the north in great packs of a hundred or more, and feared neither man nor mammoth, but that was long ago and in another land. It is queer to see the common wolves of the south so bold."

"Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord."

Bolton showed his teeth in something that might have been a smile. "Are these times so terrible, Maester?"

"Summer is gone and there are four kings in the realm."

"One king may be terrible, but four?" He shrugged. "Nan, my fur cloak." She brought it to him. "My chambers will be clean and orderly upon my return," he told her as she fastened it. "And tend to Lady Walda's letter."

"As you say, my lord."

The lord and maester swept from the room, giving her not so much as a backward glance. When they were gone, Arya took the letter and carried it to the hearth, stirring the logs with a poker to wake the flames anew. She watched the parchment twist, blacken, and flare up.

Arya X, Clash 64

Roose means to hunt wolves, and he suggests that the direwolf ‘s day is done. He has the coded letter burned.

"Some battles are won with swords and spears, others with quills and ravens.”

. . .

As for Stark, the boy is still in the west, but a large force of northmen under Helman Tallhart and Robett Glover are descending toward Duskendale. I've sent Lord Tarly to meet them, while Ser Gregor drives up the kingsroad to cut off their retreat. Tallhart and Glover will be caught between them, with a third of Stark's strength."

"Duskendale?" There was nothing at Duskendale worth such a risk. Had the Young Wolf finally blundered?

"It's nothing you need trouble yourself with.”

Tyrion I, Storm 4

And here we see the other end of the conspiracy. Tywin is telling us that he is winning this battle with quills and ravens, and we know that Roose has sent Tallhart and Glover into a Lannister trap.

stupid font changes...

Archived