Wow, I Never Noticed That v. 13

Rhaenys_Targaryen

22 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The Ned could have. It I

Weird--can't back space...

Isn't odd she was not subjected to the pressure Donella was?

Ned could have, to be sure. Yet it appears that he didn't. Perhaps his guilt about not bringing back the body of her husband might have played a part in why he didn't, if he indeed felt guilty about it.

Barbrey ruled the lands connected to her father's lands. Possibly that played a part. 

As for the Hornwoods, this is how it is explained:

“With no direct heir, there are sure to be many claimants contending for the Hornwood lands. The Tallharts, Flints, and Karstarks all have ties to House Hornwood through the female line, and the Glovers are fostering Lord Harys’s bastard at Deepwood Motte. The Dreadfort has no claim that I know, but the lands adjoin, and Roose Bolton is not one to overlook such a chance.”

According to Ser Rodrik, a match must by her liege in such a case, and Donella herself states that, if Robb commands it, she will marry.

So possibly, either there is still a clear Dustin heir walking around (though it would be weird that we haven't seen any walk around, in that case), or, since Barbrey inherited the seat, it is considered that she has a clear heir in one of her brothers, and those lords around her simply don't want to make a claim for the lands.

Other than that, I can't think of anything atm.

16 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

So am I the only one who has this problem: When I try to paste something It ends up going to the top of the post...

Just copy-pasted text into a post on another thread, had no problem.

Pasting a link doesn't give a problem at all either (as proven by the link immediately above). I'm using my laptop. Are you perhaps using a smartphone or a tablet? 

2 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Ned could have, to be sure. Yet it appears that he didn't. Perhaps his guilt about not bringing back the body of her husband might have played a part in why he didn't, if he indeed felt guilty about it.

Barbrey ruled the lands connected to her father's lands. Possibly that played a part. 

As for the Hornwoods, this is how it is explained:

“With no direct heir, there are sure to be many claimants contending for the Hornwood lands. The Tallharts, Flints, and Karstarks all have ties to House Hornwood through the female line, and the Glovers are fostering Lord Harys’s bastard at Deepwood Motte. The Dreadfort has no claim that I know, but the lands adjoin, and Roose Bolton is not one to overlook such a chance.”

According to Ser Rodrik, a match must by her liege in such a case, and Donella herself states that, if Robb commands it, she will marry.

So possibly, either there is still a clear Dustin heir walking around (though it would be weird that we haven't seen any walk around, in that case), or, since Barbrey inherited the seat, it is considered that she has a clear heir in one of her brothers, and those lords around her simply don't want to make a claim for the lands.

Other than that, I can't think of anything atm.

Just copy-pasted text into a post on another thread, had no problem.

Pasting a link doesn't give a problem at all either (as proven by the link immediately above). I'm using my laptop. Are you perhaps using a smartphone or a tablet? 

A not so smart phone yes.

3 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Testing for you. On my phone (Android) pasting a link does not make it jump to the top of the post.

Here's what happens for me...

Paste here

Hmm... actually nothing happened that time. 

Once, when she was just a little girl, a wandering singer had stayed with them at Winterfell for half a year. An old man he was, with white hair and windburnt cheeks, but he sang of knights and quests and ladies fair, and Sansa had cried bitter tears when he left them, and begged her father not to let him go. "The man has played us every song he knows thrice over," Lord Eddard told her gently. "I cannot keep him here against his will. You need not weep, though. I promise you, other singers will come."

They hadn't, though, not for a year or more. Sansa had prayed to the Seven in their sept and old gods of the heart tree, asking them to bring the old man back, or better still to send another singer, young and handsome. But the gods never answered, and the halls of Winterfell stayed silent.  AFFC, Sansa I

And then, Mance Abel appears in Winterfell in Dance.

54 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

Once, when she was just a little girl, a wandering singer had stayed with them at Winterfell for half a year. An old man he was, with white hair and windburnt cheeks, but he sang of knights and quests and ladies fair, and Sansa had cried bitter tears when he left them, and begged her father not to let him go. "The man has played us every song he knows thrice over," Lord Eddard told her gently. "I cannot keep him here against his will. You need not weep, though. I promise you, other singers will come."

They hadn't, though, not for a year or more. Sansa had prayed to the Seven in their sept and old gods of the heart tree, asking them to bring the old man back, or better still to send another singer, young and handsome. But the gods never answered, and the halls of Winterfell stayed silent.  AFFC, Sansa I

And then, Mance Abel appears in Winterfell in Dance.

Does Abel count as young and handsome? I'd sooner connect it to Marillion..

I recently re-read Jon I in Clash as part of my research into parallels between Jon and Egg, and noticed this exchange with Donal Noye on new recruits that had recently arrived:

Outside the armory, Ser Endrew Tarth was working with some raw recruits. They'd come in last night with Conwy, one of the wandering crows who roamed the Seven Kingdoms collecting men for the Wall. This new crop consisted of a greybeard leaning on a staff, two blond boys with the look of brothers, a foppish youth in soiled satin, a raggy man with a clubfoot, and some grinning loon who must have fancied himself a warrior. Ser Endrew was showing him the error of that presumption. He was a gentler master-at-arms than Ser Alliser Thorne had been, but his lessons would still raise bruises. Sam winced at every blow, but Jon Snow watched the swordplay closely.

"What do you make of them, Snow?" Donal Noye stood in the door of his armory, bare-chested under a leather apron, the stump of his left arm uncovered for once. With his big gut and barrel chest, his flat nose and bristly black jaw, Noye did not make a pretty sight, but he was a welcome one nonetheless. The armorer had proved himself a good friend.

"They smell of summer," Jon said as Ser Endrew bullrushed his foe and knocked him sprawling. "Where did Conwy find them?"

"A lord's dungeon near Gulltown," the smith replied. "A brigand, a barber, a beggar, two orphans, and a boy whore. With such do we defend the realms of men."

The foppish youth and the boy whore are one and the same person - Satin, whom we later encounter in more depth when Jon returns to Castle Black. One of the things I always recall from the series about Satin is that he comes from Oldtown. In Jon VII in Storm alone, Satin is mentioned as coming from Oldtown no less than six times. I get it, we are meant to associate Satin with Oldtown. And he mentions living there too:

Jon made himself smile. "The Frostfangs are cold. This is a brisk autumn day."

"I hope I never see the Frostfangs then. I knew a girl in Oldtown who liked to ice her wine. That's the best place for ice, I think. In wine." Satin glanced south, frowned. "You think the scarecrow sentinels scared them off, my lord?"

So how did he wind up in a lordling's dungeon near Gulltown? Did he move to a Gulltown brothel, or did he go to Gulltown for a new start, away from that life? Or, was he the paramour of some lordling? And which lordling's dungeon was it? Or am I reading something into nothing?

2 hours ago, dornishdame said:

I recently re-risad Jon I in Clash as part of my research into parallels between Jon and Egg, and noticed this exchange with Donal Noye on new recruits that had recently arrived:

Outside the armory, Ser Endrew Tarth was working with some raw recruits. They'd come in last night with Conwy, one of the wandering crows who roamed the Seven Kingdoms collecting men for the Wall. This new crop consisted of a greybeard leaning on a staff, two blond boys with the look of brothers, a foppish youth in soiled satin, a raggy man with a clubfoot, and some grinning loon who must have fancied himself a warrior. Ser Endrew was showing him the error of that presumption. He was a gentler master-at-arms than Ser Alliser Thorne had been, but his lessons would still raise bruises. Sam winced at every blow, but Jon Snow watched the swordplay closely.

"What do you make of them, Snow?" Donal Noye stood in the door of his armory, bare-chested under a leather apron, the stump of his left arm uncovered for once. With his big gut and barrel chest, his flat nose and bristly black jaw, Noye did not make a pretty sight, but he was a welcome one nonetheless. The armorer had proved himself a good friend.

"They smell of summer," Jon said as Ser Endrew bullrushed his foe and knocked him sprawling. "Where did Conwy find them?"

"A lord's dungeon near Gulltown," the smith replied. "A brigand, a barber, a beggar, two orphans, and a boy whore. With such do we defend the realms of men."

The foppish youth and the boy whore are one and the same person - Satin, whom we later encounter in more depth when Jon returns to Castle Black. One of the things I always recall from the series about Satin is that he comes from Oldtown. In Jon VII in Storm alone, Satin is mentioned as coming from Oldtown no less than six times. I get it, we are meant to associate Satin with Oldtown. And he mentions living there too:

Jon made himself smile. "The Frostfangs are cold. This is a brisk autumn day."

"I hope I never see the Frostfangs then. I knew a girl in Oldtown who liked to ice her wine. That's the best place for ice, I think. In wine." Satin glanced south, frowned. "You think the scarecrow sentinels scared them off, my lord?"

So how did he wind up in a lordling's dungeon near Gulltown? Did he move to a Gulltown brothel, or did he go to Gulltown for a new start, away from that life? Or, was he the paramour of some lordling? And which lordling's dungeon was it? Or am I reading something into nothing?

I think there are some theories suggesting he Is Petyr's spy. 

Tormund’s member is not actually all that huge . . .

"Har." Tormund spat. "Well, I stepped in that!" He grinned at Jon. "See, lad, that's why he's king and I'm not. I can outdrink, outfight, and outsing him, and my member's thrice the size o' his, but Mance has cunning. He was raised a crow, you know, and the crow's a tricksy bird."

Jon I, Storm 7

"Well, here's a tale for you. It were another winter, colder even than the one I spent inside that giant, and snowing day and night, snowflakes as big as your head, not these little things. It snowed so hard the whole village was half buried. I was in me Ruddy Hall, with only a cask o' mead to keep me company and nothing to do but drink it. The more I drank the more I got to thinking about this woman lived close by, a fine strong woman with the biggest pair of teats you ever saw. She had a temper on her, that one, but oh, she could be warm too, and in the deep of winter a man needs his warmth.

"The more I drank the more I thought about her, and the more I thought the harder me member got, till I couldn't suffer it no more. Fool that I was, I bundled meself up in furs from head to heels, wrapped a winding wool around me face, and set off to find her. The snow was coming down so hard I got turned around once or twice, and the wind blew right through me and froze me bones, but finally I come on her, all bundled up like I was.

"The woman had a terrible temper, and she put up quite the fight when I laid hands on her. It was all I could do to carry her home and get her out o' them furs, but when I did, oh, she was hotter even than I remembered, and we had a fine old time, and then I went to sleep. Next morning when I woke the snow had stopped and the sun was shining, but I was in no fit state to enjoy it. All ripped and torn I was, and half me member bit right off, and there on me floor was a she-bear's pelt. And soon enough the free folk were telling tales o' this bald bear seen in the woods, with the queerest pair o' cubs behind her. Har!" He slapped a meaty thigh. "Would that I could find her again. She was fine to lay with, that bear. Never was a woman gave me such a fight, nor such strong sons neither."

"'What could you do if you did find her?" Jon asked, smiling. "You said she bit your member off."

"Only half. And half me member is twice as long as any other man's."

Jon II, Storm 15

The wildling pulled off the band from his left arm and tossed it at Jon, then did the same with its twin upon his right. "Your first payment. Had those from my father and him from his. Now they're yours, you thieving black bastard."

The armbands were old gold, solid and heavy, engraved with the ancient runes of the First Men. Tormund Giantsbane had worn them as long as Jon had known him; they had seemed as much a part of him as his beard.

"The Braavosi will melt these down for the gold. That seems a shame. Perhaps you ought to keep them."

"No. I'll not have it said that Tormund Thunderfist made the free folk give up their treasures whilst he kept his own." He grinned. "But I'll keep the ring I wear about me member. Much bigger than those little things. On you it'd be a torque."

Jon XI, Dance 53

With so many bloodthirsty wildlings infesting Castle Black, Selyse kept her sworn shields about her night and day. Tormund Giants-bane had roared to hear it. "Afraid of being carried off, is she? I hope you never said how big me member is, Jon Snow, that'd frighten any woman. I always wanted me one with a mustache." Then he laughed and laughed. He would not be laughing now.

. . .

Yarwyck was no more helpful. "If the wildlings at Hardhome need saving, let the wildlings here go save them. Tormund knows the way to Hard-home. To hear him talk, he can save them all himself with his huge member."

. . .

"It was sent by Ramsay Snow. I'll read you what he wrote."

When he was done, Tormund whistled. "Har. That's buggered, and no mistake. What was that about Mance? Has him in a cage, does he? How, when hundreds saw your red witch burn the man?"

That was Rattleshirt, Jon almost said. That was sorcery. A glamor, she called it. "Melisandre … look to the skies, she said." He set the letter down. "A raven in a storm. She saw this coming." When you have your answers, send to me.

"Might be all a skin o' lies." Tormund scratched under his beard. "If I had me a nice goose quill and a pot o' maester's ink, I could write down that me member was long and thick as me arm, wouldn't make it so."

Jon XIII, Dance 69

3 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I think there are some theories suggesting he Is Petyr's spy. 

I did wonder. Although Runestone is the closest castle to Gulltown, Heart's Home is hardly at the other end of the Vale of Arryn, and I did consider the lordly dungeon Satin was conscripted from being that of the Corbrays. Also, in Storm, when they are preparing for the wildling attack, Satin tells Jon that he worships the Seven. But, when he swears his Night's Watch vows, he does so in front of a heart tree - assuming that he is LF's man, is this an indication that he has been asked to send back information on Jon specifically? Taking on Jon's gods? Not that I think he would have originally be asked to spy on Jon originally, but when Jon becomes LC.......

49 minutes ago, dornishdame said:

I did wonder. Although Runestone is the closest castle to Gulltown, Heart's Home is hardly at the other end of the Vale of Arryn, and I did consider the lordly dungeon Satin was conscripted from being that of the Corbrays. Also, in Storm, when they are preparing for the wildling attack, Satin tells Jon that he worships the Seven. But, when he swears his Night's Watch vows, he does so in front of a heart tree - assuming that he is LF's man, is this an indication that he has been asked to send back information on Jon specifically? Taking on Jon's gods? Not that I think he would have originally be asked to spy on Jon originally, but when Jon becomes LC.......

And a man cannot lie In front of a heart tree. 

Could Tyrion indeed be the valonqar after all?

"My sister has mistaken me for a mushroom. She keeps me in the dark and feeds me shit."

The empty flagon slipped from his hand and rolled across the yard. Tyrion pushed himself off the bench and went to fetch it. As he did, he saw some mushrooms growing up from a cracked paving tile. Pale white they were, with speckles, and red-ribbed undersides dark as blood. The dwarf snapped one off and sniffed it. Delicious, he thought, and deadly.

4 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Could Tyrion indeed be the valonqar after all?

"My sister has mistaken me for a mushroom. She keeps me in the dark and feeds me shit."

The empty flagon slipped from his hand and rolled across the yard. Tyrion pushed himself off the bench and went to fetch it. As he did, he saw some mushrooms growing up from a cracked paving tile. Pale white they were, with speckles, and red-ribbed undersides dark as blood. The dwarf snapped one off and sniffed it. Delicious, he thought, and deadly.

That's brilliant.

But note that she's mistaken Tyrion for a mushroom. . .he's not.  It's evidence against Tyrion as the valonqar.

Re-reading the Arya V chapter in Game and she describes her father:

He was dressed in a rich grey velvet doublet with a white wolf sewn on the front in beads.

The white wolf for some reason stuck me as odd. Made me think about Ghost.

Archived