Wow, I Never Noticed That v. 13

Rhaenys_Targaryen

In ADWD Jon has a thought about Stannis having every letter delivered to him personally so he can open and read them himself. This isn't something he did on Dragonstone, so what changed?

Davos suddenly realized just what he was reading. He turned the letter over, and saw that the wax that had sealed it had been black. “This is from the Night’s Watch. Maester, has King Stannis seen this letter?”

“I brought it to Lord Alester when it first arrived. He was the Hand then. I believed he discussed it with the queen. When I asked him if he wished to send a reply, he told me not to be a fool. ‘His Grace lacks the men to fight his own battles, he has none to waste on wildlings,’ he said to me.”

Nice one Alester.

In ADWD Jon has a thought about Stannis having every letter delivered to him personally so he can open and read them himself. This isn't something he did on Dragonstone, so what changed?

Davos suddenly realized just what he was reading. He turned the letter over, and saw that the wax that had sealed it had been black. “This is from the Night’s Watch. Maester, has King Stannis seen this letter?”

“I brought it to Lord Alester when it first arrived. He was the Hand then. I believed he discussed it with the queen. When I asked him if he wished to send a reply, he told me not to be a fool. ‘His Grace lacks the men to fight his own battles, he has none to waste on wildlings,’ he said to me.”

Nice one Alester.

You know I used to kind of feel bad for Alester, but after being reminded of that...

Oh, that's a good one; seems kinda obvious now. Cannibalism does seem to becomes a theme in the fifth book: the "pork" Coldhands brings to Bran, Hodor, and the Reed; the four cannibals that Stannis burns; Varamyr eating the woman and her baby through his wolf pack.

In wonder if that is meant to reflect the desperation of the Westerosi now that there has been a state of civil war for years, and winter has come and people will literally do anything for food. 

I was just about to go to bed when this popped into my brain: Tormund is called the Father of Hosts and he's constantly talking about his member; one of the names of the Unsullied's goddess is the Mother of Hosts and they've all been castrated. I'm 95% sure it doesn't mean anything, but it's such a strange and random connection that I just had to point it out.

"Grey Worm looked troubled. “The goddess is called by many names. She is the Lady of Spears, the Bride of Battle, the Mother of Hosts, but her true name belongs only to these poor ones who have burned their manhoods upon her altar. We may not speak of her to others. This one begs your forgiveness.”

Varys also claimed he had his manhood burned in sacrifice to some god. And just for fun - he also wears Unsullied-like spiked steel cap on multiple occasions:

“Wine,” a voice answered. It was not the rat-faced man; this gaoler was stouter, shorter, though he wore the same leather half cape and spiked steel cap. “Drink, Lord Eddard.” He thrust a wineskin into Ned’s hands."

Varys did not look at all like himself. A scarred face and a stubble of dark beard showed under his spiked steel cap, and he wore mail over boiled leather, dirk and shortsword at his belt. “Was Chataya’s to your satisfaction, my lord?”

And when he met Illyrio in KL, if I remember it right.

"Grey Worm looked troubled. “The goddess is called by many names. She is the Lady of Spears, the Bride of Battle, the Mother of Hosts, but her true name belongs only to these poor ones who have burned their manhoods upon her altar. We may not speak of her to others. This one begs your forgiveness.”

Varys also claimed he had his manhood burned in sacrifice to some god. And just for fun - he also wears Unsullied-like spiked steel cap on multiple occasions:

“Wine,” a voice answered. It was not the rat-faced man; this gaoler was stouter, shorter, though he wore the same leather half cape and spiked steel cap. “Drink, Lord Eddard.” He thrust a wineskin into Ned’s hands."

Varys did not look at all like himself. A scarred face and a stubble of dark beard showed under his spiked steel cap, and he wore mail over boiled leather, dirk and shortsword at his belt. “Was Chataya’s to your satisfaction, my lord?”

And when he met Illyrio in KL, if I remember it right.

So Varys secret Unsullied?

Actually figured out a bit ago, and not necessarily correct but I think...

Rhaegal was trying to claim Quentyn as his rider.  His spitting flame at him is remarkably similar to the way Drogon behaved toward Dany in Daznak's Pit.

It makes me feel bad for poor Rhaegal, flying all over causing all kinds of mayhem cause he can't find his human.  :crying:

Rhaegal was trying to claim Quentyn as his rider.  His spitting flame at him is remarkably similar to the way Drogon behaved toward Dany in Daznak's Pit.

It makes me feel bad for poor Rhaegal, flying all over causing all kinds of mayhem cause he can't find his human.  :crying:

But we don't see a similar event happen when dragons were claimed during the Dance of the Dragons.

I interpret the scene as Quentyn about to claim Viserion. He was almost successful until Rhaegal got protective of Viserion.

I haven't read TPatQ yet.  

Why can't modern dragons act differently than dragons of yore?

Have you ever seen the arms of House Toland of Ghost Hill?

Now you say, "A dragon eating its own tail?"

The dragon is time. It has no beginning and no ending, so all things come round again.

• 1 month later...

Posted this in the last Never Noticed That thread before the loss of posts.

Too rich, thought Tyrion, too beautiful. It is never wise to tempt the dragons. The drowned city was all around them. A half-seen shape flapped by overhead, pale leathery wings beating at the fog. The dwarf craned his head around to get a better look, but the thing was gone as suddenly as it had appeared.

Drogon?  As per the discussion last night, it couldn't have been a bat because their means to "seeing" (echolocation) would not work in fog. 

Or perhaps Tyrion's just got dragons on the mind.

Posted this in the last Never Noticed That thread before the loss of posts.

Too rich, thought Tyrion, too beautiful. It is never wise to tempt the dragons. The drowned city was all around them. A half-seen shape flapped by overhead, pale leathery wings beating at the fog. The dwarf craned his head around to get a better look, but the thing was gone as suddenly as it had appeared.

Drogon?  As per the discussion last night, it couldn't have been a bat because their means to "seeing" (echolocation) would not work in fog. 

Or perhaps Tyrion's just got dragons on the mind.

Perhaps it was some other animal living there.. Wyverns, perhaps. Because Tyrion's location is so very far from Meereen, (and even farther from Drogon's lair), I'd find it hard to believe that Drogon would fly all that way just to immediately turn back.

Archived