Small Questions v.10103

Jon Weirgaryen

I remember I heard something about this. In love letters or something like that?

Are there any threads with textual evidence?

We have the body of the last letter received by Roose. He gets it just before he actually turns his cloak, marked by ordering Tallhart to put Darry to the sword, then to link up with Glover and attack Duskendale (all in Robb's name), before going out to hunt wolves. We later learn that Robb gave no such order.

ACoK: Arya X

The Lady Walda wrote from the Twins almost every day, but all the letters were the same. "I pray for you morn, noon, and night, my sweet lord," she wrote, "and count the days until you share my bed again. Return to me soon, and I will give you many trueborn sons to take the place of your dear Domeric and rule the Dreadfort after you." Arya pictured a plump pink baby in a cradle, covered with plump pink leeches.

Arya is young and not big on romance so I doubt she paid close attention to the letters. This one seems to bring Tywin's agreement to legitimize Ramsey if you read between the lines.

Also note that there is no way to actually know where a raven comes from (the point of origin of the message) the same type of issue that occurs with the pink letter.

Did the Hoares or Greyirons count driftwood king era Hoares and Greyirons as predecessors?

For example if there were three Qhoreds from House Hoare in the driftwood era, did the next Qhored Hoare in the hereditary era style himself as Qhored IV or started from the beginning as Qhored I?

Did the Hoares or Greyirons count driftwood king era Hoares and Greyirons as predecessors?

For example if there were three Qhoreds from House Hoare in the driftwood era, did the next Qhored Hoare in the hereditary era style himself as Qhored IV or started from the beginning as Qhored I?

If I recall correctly Balon is offically called Balon the ninth of his name since the Grey King, going back to the mythical age. Therefore it doesn't look like that they are taking into considerations the difference between the Driftwood kings and the "dynastic"period.

Each dynasty might be different. Balon might have needed to establish such a tie to the glorious past as he styled himself as a king after 300 years of no kings in Iron Islands.

But it might be different for Greyirons or Hoares. Especially the hereditary Hoares might have started from the beginning as they intermarried with Andals and tried to eliminate the power of the Drowned Men.

The book is a cool idea but it does not maintain functionality and timing at the same time. As you mentioned, why does it take Roose too long to read it?

Who says he's reading it for the first time ? He's just destroying it, maybe because he knows he will be leaving Harrenhal soon. And Fat Walda's letters are the way Walder Frey, not Tywin, uses to communicate with Roose.

Why didn't Walder Frey insist on Robb marrying before he left the Twins in AGOT? He stayed a night anyway and a hastily arranged marriage during war wouldn't be seen as unusual?

Ned was still alive at this time and Riverrun was under siege so he wanted to leave as soon as possible and since Walder Frey allowed Robb to chose whom ever he wanted it would have taken some time to get to know them.  

Why aren't Daemon Targaryen's daughters by Lanea Velaryon Princesses, I believe they are refered to as Ladies

They are referred to as 'princesses' in TWoIaF:

Baela had escaped the men who tried to seize her and had made her way to her dragon. And as Aegon II sought to land in the courtyard of the castle on Sunfyre, thinking himself triumphant, the dragon and the princess rose to meet him. (Aegon II chapter)

A surpassingly beautiful child, Daenaera was but six when the princesses Rhaena and Baela presented her to the king—the last of a thousand maids who had been presented him at the great ball of 133 AC. (Aegon III chapter)

Not sure why they are referred to as "Lady" as well. Might be an oversight on Martin's part.

Are purple eyes common just Targaryen features? I think Daynes have violet eyes pretty much the same color and are usually blonde could there be a connection between the two? Seems unlikely as the Targs are from Valyria and Daynes are from Borne but I wonder

Sorry, just going back to the dragon-beneath-Winterfell thing:

From TWOIAF (the Winterfell section), it seems fairly evident that the hot springs of Winterfell are caused by volcanic activity, which is a known force on Planetos (think Dragonstone and the Fourteen Flames). Meanwhile the dragon-like smoke rising from the ruins of Winterfell that Bran sees in ACOK is probably just smoke from the smouldering ruins, after Ramsay puts the castle to the torch. The smallfolk of the winter town claim that a dragon sleeps beneath Winterfell, but surely something like a dragon would have been discovered by the Starks.

'Hot springs such as the one beneath Winterfell have been shown to be heated by the furnaces of the world'

Note the telling phrase 'have been shown'.

In Davos I in ACOK, Davos says he also owes Stannis for saving Allard from the Wall. A purely spectulative question, because we have no evidence. But do you think Allard did something that warranted being sent to the Wall? Or does Davos think that Allard would have gone to the Wall eventually for being a pirate?

In Davos I in ACOK, Davos says he also owes Stannis for saving Allard from the Wall. A purely spectulative question, because we have no evidence. But do you think Allard did something that warranted being sent to the Wall? Or does Davos think that Allard would have gone to the Wall eventually for being a pirate?

I think he's talking about 'would have been send to the Wall' if Davos had remained a smuggler, as his sons would have become smugglers as well, most like.

When the King's Council was discussing the message Stannis sent about the incest, they talk about how Stannis signed it "done in the Light of the Lord". When Tyrion asks about it, Littlefinger says "Varys told us some years past that Lady Selyse had taken up with a red priest." Do we ever hear who this is? - I was wondering how Stannis and Mel ever came together -

When the King's Council was discussing the message Stannis sent about the incest, they talk about how Stannis signed it "done in the Light of the Lord". When Tyrion asks about it, Littlefinger says "Varys told us some years past that Lady Selyse had taken up with a red priest." Do we ever hear who this is? - I was wondering how Stannis and Mel ever came together -

The red priest is Melisandre.. She came to Dragonstone on her own, won Selyse over, and through Selyse, eventually managed to convince Stannis.

but surely something like a dragon would have been discovered by the Starks.

The dragon tale, not the egg tale, is very old. Probably a couple of 1000 at least if not dating back 8K.

Its noted in the book that the crypts are in bad shape and the lower parts inaccessible.

Its also noted that the castle is a mishmash of styles so parts were added at different times and things built over etc.

The caverns could simply have been inaccessible for 1000s of years. Regardless, magma and sulphur gas and what not isn't an environment people can just go poking around in.

Archived