Small Questions v.10103

Jon Weirgaryen

^There was a thread not long ago, there was no clear consensus.  I myself believe it would have been Rhaenys since she would not have known whether she was alive or dead.  Others have suggested Lewyn, Oberyn, Rhaegar, and Aegon.

Or Varys, if there had indeed been a plan. Doran, perhaps. I've also seen Jaime suggested, as the last of Aerys' seven present in KL.

Random question, why is it called the iron throne? It is made from melted swords, right? Aren't swords made from steel? I wondered the same thing about the Greyjoys "paying the iron price".

Iron is the key ingredient in the alloy called steel.

Only the nobility could afford steel. Most run of the mill soldiers would have made do with iron

What makes you think so? I rather believe from what I have read that there is no distinction between steel and iron swords anymore, signifying that steel-making is the norm and has been around for centuries.

during a reread something caught my eye. gatehouse Ami doesn't know who the Smiling Knight is when Jamie mentions him but yet states her dad always spoke of fighting the kingswood brotherhood. wasn't the smiling knight one of the leaders of the brotherhood?

Yes, the Smiling Knight was a member of the Kingswood Brotherhood. As to why Ami didn't know about him... Perhaps she didn't pay much attention to Merrett's stories? Or, perhaps Merrett never discussed the Smiling Knight. Merrett didn't do much fighting.

I have no luck, he thought bitterly. I have never had any bloody luck. He was a big man, broad around the chest and shoulders if only of middling height. in the last ten years he had grown soft and fleshy, he knew, but when he’d been younger Merrett had been almost as robust as Ser Hosteen, his eldest full brother, who was commonly regarded as the strongest of Lord Walder Frey’s brood. As a boy he’d been packed off to Crakehall to serve his mother’s family as a page. When old Lord Sumner had made him a squire, everyone had assumed he would be Ser Merrett in no more than a few years, but the outlaws of the Kingswood Brotherhood had pissed on those plans. While his fellow squire Jaime Lannister was covering himself in glory, Merrett had first caught the pox from a camp follower, then managed to get captured by a woman, the one called the White Fawn. Lord Sumner had ransomed him back from the outlaws, but in the very next fight he’d been felled by a blow from a mace that had broken his helm and left him insensible for a fortnight. Everyone gave him up for dead, they told him later.
Merrett hadn’t died, but his fighting days were done. Even the lightest blow to his head brought on blinding pain and reduced him to tears. Under these circumstances knighthood was out of the question, Lord Sumner told him, not unkindly. He was sent back to the Twins to face Lord Walder’s poisonous disdain.

And

“You fought against the Kingswood Brotherhood together,” sniffed Lady Amerei. “Father used to tell me stories.”
Father used to boast and lie, you mean. “We did.” Frey’s chief contributions to the fight had consisted of contracting the pox from a camp follower and getting himself captured by the White Fawn. The outlaw queen burned her sigil into his arse before ransoming him back to Sumner Crakehall. Merrett had not been able to sit down for a fortnight, though Jaime doubted that the red-hot iron was half so nasty as the kettles of shit his fellow squires made him eat once he was returned. Boys are the cruelest creatures on the earth. He slipped his golden hand around his wine cup and raised it up. “To Merrett’s memory,” he said. It was easier to drink to the man than to talk of him.

Perhaps Merrett never included the Smiling Knight in his tales because he never met the Smiling Knight in battle. He fought in only two battles, and if the Smiling Knight hadn't been anywhere close to where Merrett had been fighting, why include him in his tales about his time fighting against the Brotherhood?

"Too many corpses, these days." The Elder Brother sighed. "Our gravedigger knows no rest. Rivermen, westermen, northmen, all wash up here. Knights and knaves alike. We bury them side by side, Stark and Lannister, Blackwood and Bracken, Frey and Darry. That is the duty the river asks of us in return for all its gifts, and we do it as best we can. Sometimes we find a woman, though . . . or worse, a little child. Those are the cruelest gifts." He turned to Septon Meribald. "I hope that you have time to absolve us of our sins. Since the raiders slew old Septon Bennet, we have had no one to hear confession."

Has anyone come up with a good idea about this Frey/Darry rivalry?

yes, but why not call it the steel throne, then? Just seemed weird.

Steel is Iron. The difference comes down to getting the iron ore from a deposit that has the correct chemical elements within the deposit, smelting it properly and using the correct technique to form an specific atomic structure. The other option is using a manufacturing process thats creates an end product with the correct chemical elements and specific atomic structure.

Only the nobility could afford steel. Most run of the mill soldiers would have made do with iron

The nobility can afford high quality steel (castle forged or high end smith), the average soldier that provides his own arms would have a base steel or at worst iron weapons in the 7K.

"Too many corpses, these days." The Elder Brother sighed. "Our gravedigger knows no rest. Rivermen, westermen, northmen, all wash up here. Knights and knaves alike. We bury them side by side, Stark and Lannister, Blackwood and Bracken, Frey and Darry. That is the duty the river asks of us in return for all its gifts, and we do it as best we can. Sometimes we find a woman, though . . . or worse, a little child. Those are the cruelest gifts." He turned to Septon Meribald. "I hope that you have time to absolve us of our sins. Since the raiders slew old Septon Bennet, we have had no one to hear confession."

My guess would be that Darry would exercise control over the primary crossing of the Trident, while the Twins are the primary crossing of the Green Fork.  :dunno: 

My guess would be that Darry would exercise control over the primary crossing of the Trident, while the Twins are the primary crossing of the Green Fork.  :dunno:

Still doesn't explain why the corpses are being found at the same time but thanks for the feedback.

During Robert's Rebellion, Darrys were very, very loyal to the Targaryens ( Jonothor Darry, Willem Darry), ser Raymun Darry lost three btother at the Trident. Freys did nothing and waited to join the winner....
I guess that Darrys blame Freys for Rhaegar's death at the Trident...
Few Darrys were married to Freys, so maybe Walder broke some marriage pacts ( that Freys will always help Darrys).

During Robert's Rebellion, Darrys were very, very loyal to the Targaryens ( Jonothor Darry, Willem Darry), ser Raymun Darry lost three btother at the Trident. Freys did nothing and waited to join the winner....
I guess that Darrys blame Freys for Rhaegar's death at the Trident...
Few Darrys were married to Freys, so maybe Walder broke some marriage pacts ( that Freys will always help Darrys).

This is along the lines of what I was thinking.  The remaining Darry forces are hunting down Freys just like the BWB,

Archived