How can anyone think Jon will sit on the iron throne?

Dragonsmurf

It is the way of prophecy only to be understood when it has happened, and it is too late to change it.-Vikings

What would be the point of Dany fulfilling the prophecy before we even hear its content?
Also I'd think Martin would refrain from being literal and obvious in his prophecies.

Perhaps because Martin wants us to hear the prophecy and think of Dany?

I don't think that Jon will be king I think he is Azor Ahai and he will lead the army against the Others.

I think the Prince that was promised and Azor Ahai are actually two different prophecies I know I'm in the minority on that issue

I think Dany will sit on the throne and Jon will defeat the others maybe become lord of winterfell or warden of the north

one could say that if Jon saves the world from the others he could take the throne I imagine people would be very grateful and not care about his parentage besides aegon didn't have much claim to the throne he just took it and if Jon has lightbringer what lord will stand against him?

I don't think Jon is Azor Ahai, but I hope he's not dead and that he will be important in the war against the Others, perhaps sacrificing his life in the war. Buuut as I stated, he wouldn't want to claim the throne(and given all the people that actually want the damn thing, nobody will give it to him, that's the difference between being king and being lord commander, another thing he didn't long for).

Polygamy is not recognized by the majority of Westeros.

That was hundreds of years ago. 

Even in our world, a couple of hundreds of years ago, a man can marry as many woman as he wants if he has money and power. 

But not today. Things change. 

By the way, maegor married second wife and he was ripped of his power and sent to exile, at that time they had dragons too. 

Daemon Blackfyre asked for his sister's hand when he had a wife and he received a big "no". 

Rhaegar's dad sworn to god to be faithful to his wife in stead of marrying a second queen (why not just marry Joanna as his second queen?)

You think these people could not manage to have a secret marriage and then said:" look, I had a secret ceremony, it is valid! I had a second wife now!"

Not so. Queen Sharra Arryn and Princess Argella Durrandon were offered as third wives to Aegon, and both women followed the Seven. Aegon I's polygamous marriage was accepted by Westeros. The refusal for Daemon asking for his sister's hand was for political reasons as Daeron II was set on the peace deal with Dorne. 

I think Ned and Wylla is a good option. To show that everything isn't poethical or beautiful. hat honourable Eddard Stark fell into temptation one time and was unfaithful, but he took care of the result.

Except Ned wasn't in Dorne for nine months according to the timeline. Also, why would GRRM need to give a bunch of different leads for Jon's mother if it isn't going to impact the story? If it is Wylla, why keep coming up with different potential mothers? Also, why didn't Ned tell Jon who his mother was if it was just Wylla? 

Also there are hints pointing to Jon being king. 

Not so. Queen Sharra Arryn and Princess Argella Durrandon were offered as third wives to Aegon, and both women followed the Seven. Aegon I's polygamous marriage was accepted by Westeros. The refusal for Daemon asking for his sister's hand was for political reasons as Daeron II was set on the peace deal with Dorne. 

Except Ned wasn't in Dorne for nine months according to the timeline. Also, why would GRRM need to give a bunch of different leads for Jon's mother if it isn't going to impact the story? If it is Wylla, why keep coming up with different potential mothers? Also, why didn't Ned tell Jon who his mother was if it was just Wylla? 

Also there are hints pointing to Jon being king. 

Who said Jon was born in Dorne? Ned could have had an affair in the Riverlands or even the north, and by the way back stayed to look after her, and there she had a little gift for him...

And those hints... If you see king Robert saying "Snow!" as a hint, then literally everything could be "evidence" for this theory.

Why do you believe Jon will be king?

Is this the first epic fantasy you have ever read? Jon Snow is a blatant example of a secret heir/Chosen One and these end usually up as kings in the genre. And it's usually ludicrous in-story, but plausibility is not the point of such tales.

I do have an open mind. Actually, I have nothing against the R+L=J theory even though I find it unlikely. The thing that makes me upset is the fans who always keep on claiming the theory to be a canon truth... It is not.

I 100% agree with you on that. It's fine to theorise about Jon's parentage, but when you start creating theories based on the assumption that Jon is definitely a Targaryen, then it's getting out of hand.

Jon will be the king in the end because

1. He will be the hero of the Battle for Dawn.

2. All the other important claimants will be dead.

3. No sane Lord will want to return to independent petty kingdoms considering that the Realm will be bankrupt and devastated. A king with necessary power and legitimacy will be required to keep the king's peace. Otherwise, civil wars will follow; the powerful will exploit the weak; chaos will reign.

4. A Great Council will decide to give the crown to Jon.

5. Jon will have to accept the crown because he will not see any other way to do his primary duty (i.e. protection of the Realm) with a Realm in chaos at his back. He will have enough of that.

Jon will be the king in the end because

1. He will be the hero of the Battle for Dawn.
2. All the other important claimants will be dead.
3. No sane Lord will want to return to independent petty kingdoms considering that the Realm will be bankrupt and devastated. A king with necessary power and legitimacy will be required to keep the king's peace. Otherwise, civil wars will follow; the powerful will exploit the weak; chaos will reign.
4. A Great Council will decide to give the crown to Jon.
5. Jon will have to accept the crown because he will not see any other way to do his primary duty (i.e. protection of the Realm) with a Realm in chaos at his back. He will have enough of that.

1. Jon will perhaps be a hero but so will Daenerys. There is no way Jon will be the sole hero of humanity.
2. As soon one claiment dies, another one takes its place...
3. People usually don't think logic when it comes to nationality and independence. Take the Soviet union for example, a lot of the former SSSR republics, espesially in central Asia, were better off before. Doesn't change their longing for independence. Perhaps the same could be said for the North. Besides, Jon doesn't have any legitimacy regardless of his parentage.
4. What the great council says doesn't mean a thing. Armies (and dragons) gives the ruler a crown.
5. I don't think Jon sees duty that way. He's place is at the wall.

1. Jon will perhaps be a hero but so will Daenerys. There is no way Jon will be the sole hero of humanity.
3. People usually don't think logic when it comes to nationality and independence. Take the Soviet union for example, a lot of the former SSSR republics, espesially in central Asia, were better off before. Doesn't change their longing for independence. Perhaps the same could be said for the North. Besides, Jon doesn't have any legitimacy regardless of his parentage.
4. What the great council says doesn't mean a thing. Armies (and dragons) gives the ruler a crown.

1.  :bs:

2.  :bs:

3.  :bs:

4.  :bs:

5.  :bs:

I think Jon and Ygritte's relationship really could reflect ned and Wylla's. Bot had taken a sacred vow(marriage/night's watch) and both were "men of honour", yet they fell to temptation, and suffered the consequences...

Jon is really following in his father's footsteps. Jon thinks duty to be the most important thing and he tries to do what is right no matter what other people think of him for it. You could also argue that "mercy" got them both killed, Ned by trying to save Cersei's children by telling her what he knew, and Jon by saving the wildlings' lives, therefore making him unpopular amongst his brothers.

Some real argumentation would be nice...

1. Dany can't be a hero. She's a woman, duh. Don't you know your history? Heroes are not feminine. Hero cults of Greece were male-centric.

2. If Jon takes the throne, there will be no claimants because he's ice and fire. That's the series title, so all the squabbling ends with him.

3. Every independance movement is completely logical, be it the American Revolution or the American Civil War. Because of that... independance won't happen?

4. Great Councils are cool. They totally made everything clear after Jaehaerys died. And one elected Egg! How could that be a faulty system?

5. Actually, I think that's pretty close to Jon's feelings of being dutiful. He was raised by Eddard, after all.

1- prophecy in asoiaf point towards one hero.. that will help humans band together and face the Long Nigh... except the highly controversial "three heads"... Dany´s clues as AA/PtwP are too explicit. smells like Red herring.

while Jon has the sutble hints, and foreshadowing... seems like the author wants us too badly to think Dany is the one, just to fullfill the prophecy with Jon.

2- true.. thats why IMO a Great Council is needed to end conflict in Westeros.

If Dany and Aegon die, old and colateral claims will be put forth.. other lords will try to conquer lands and carve their own kingodms.. others will just try to get independence..

therefore i think rationality will prevail in the end. people will realize they need to put an end to the civil wars, and only someone with a good claim and well respected can do that.. who better than Rhaegar´s son and the hero of the War for Danw, who Btw will probably stay out of the Dance of Dragons 2.0.? he will have support of both sides of the DoD.

3- in that i agree.. i just don´t see the ending of the story with further conflict. at some point GRRM must put an end to it IMO.

4- a Great Council reflects the opinion of the mayority of the lords (and their armies), whomever they pick will have sufficient political capital and strengh to rule.. i think dragons will all be dead by the end of the story.

5- there will be no Wall.. there will be no supernatural enemy north of the "WAll"..and maybe there is no more NW..

Jon will sit the Iron Throne (assuming there is one left to sit on at the end which I'm not sure will be the case) precisely BECAUSE he doesn't want it.

He will marry Dany for political purposes to unite the realm, making him King, but Dany will die either during childbirth, or shortly thereafter leaving their offspring (Rhaego?) as the next King of Westeros.

As for King's Landing, I think it will end up being set to be destroyed by Wildfire by Cersei, but Jaime will prevent her from giving the order by starting to strangle her.  During the struggle, however, the two of them will fall to their deaths from the Red Keep.  Later someone will set off the Wildfire caches to burn the Wights as they overrun King's Landing.  (Thus why I think there may not be an Iron Throne at the end). 

So in the end Jon will be King Regent waiting for their son to become King.  Rickon will take over Winterfell, with Sansa as his regent.  I think Arya will be the one to kill Dany, with Jon then killing her in retaliation before he realizes who she is.

You are forgetting that a great council most likely never would chose a bastard... Which Jon IS, regardless of his parentage. Polygamy is not accepted in present-day Westeros, so any "marriage" between Rhaegar and Lyanna would not be seen as valid.

Even if all the Others died out, the night's watch lost its purpose and there would be no more wall, Jon's place would still be up in the north, guarding... I can totally see him as the "last brother" of the night's watch, living isolated far up in the north, refusing to leave his post...

You are forgetting that a great council most likely never would chose a bastard... Which Jon IS, regardless of his parentage. Polygamy is not accepted in present-day Westeros, so any "marriage" between Rhaegar and Lyanna would not be seen as valid.

Even if all the Others died out, the night's watch lost its purpose and there would be no more wall, Jon's place would still be up in the north, guarding... I can totally see him as the "last brother" of the night's watch, living isolated far up in the north, refusing to leave his post...

But I am wondering may be some king or some queen or the council can legitimize Jon to either Stark or Targ. 

Actually I am not sure if Dany would want to make Jon legit, then his claim would be before her. 

Archived