Mental Health Support Group

AsharyaTarstark

What usually works for me is to go for a walk or something to clear my head a bit, come back, try and forget about things like "deadline in 2 days" or "i have no idea what I am writing about" or whatever, make myself something to drink, put my relaxing playlist (having a playlist of music that helps you calm down is good for all sorts of situations in my experience) on and settle down to work, just going at a steady pace, rather than frantically trying to get whatever I am working on finished. Sometimes it takes an awfully long time to get it done that way but it's not as stressful as sitting down and just writing non-stop, at least for me.

Has anyone ever by chance tried Ketamine for depression? 

It seems like some hype has grown around it in recent years though questions remain. 

A few articles here and here.  That second one was just on Bloomberg a few days ago and seems like a good summary of the state of things. 

Guys, I can't work. No matter how hard I try I just can't. A really important presentation is up for this Monday

Try breaking the task down into smaller pieces - if it's a power point presentation you can take little breaks after you finish up with a couple of slides. Maybe a little walk after you're done with 2 slides - it does not have to be a walk, just something that you perhaps enjoy. Try putting the focus on the work, as opposed to the consequences or importance of the presentation. I know that is difficult to do - but I find that it helps to  focus on the message and on the work as opposed to the anxiety that goes with public presentations. 

Edit: A cursory glance at Up2Date regarding Ketamine shows that there *have* been a few studies but nothing long term, and in patients with refractory depression - it's usually used as anaesthesia. Will read those articles later when I get the time. 

Drac our situations are very different in a lot of ways but I can totally relate both to the exhaustion that comes with home not being a refuge and with feeling you are being dragged back to a past you have struggled to get away from.

I had what was pretty close to a total breakdown last week. I've mostly pulled myself together again now but it's a constant stuggle.

I just try and always have something lined up that I can really look forward to so I can walk towards just getting to x date.

That makes sense. I'm trying to focus on tasks at hand, but it's clear that I'm miserable most of the time. Not to mention that I get called a name or shouted at every w, without fail, sometimes more than once. I'm 23 years old, and yet I feel like a child, stuck in this horrible situation. I do need to get away, I'm going to see if next weekend is a possibility.

I'm sorry you were struggling too. It's tough, but nothing lasts forever, right? That's what I keep telling myself anyway :grouphug:

Has anyone ever by chance tried Ketamine for depression? 

It seems like some hype has grown around it in recent years though questions remain. 

A few articles here and here.  That second one was just on Bloomberg a few days ago and seems like a good summary of the state of things. 

I've always wanted to try Ketamine again to see how it might affect my depression. Read a Vice article on it once, seemed like an interesting thing to try for depression. I think the absolute worst drug for depression is hash honestly, I smoked it for a few weeks due to no weed being around my local area. If there was ever something that just made me go into myself and feel awful, It's fucking hash. Long term daily weed usage burnt me out pretty badly as well but damn I'll never smoke hash again when I'm in a bout of depression. 

:grouphug: to Drac and Asharya
Guys, I can't work. No matter how hard I try I just can't. A really important presentation is up for this Monday, I don't have a lot of time, but every damn time o sit down to work I get to damn nervous and anxious. How do you deal with tension and anxiety at the same time ? I literally can't get anything done, so any help will be appreciated.

Hi KIB. Are things getting any better? I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. I can sympathize with you though. I get those feelings too. My heart beats so fast and I can't calm it down. It feels like I have too much adrenaline coursing through my veins...

I majored in Math and Science, so every day, 5 days a week for 4 + years, I was taught to analyze things. Cause and affect. And it has carried over into the rest of my life. I wish I had studied in something else lol

Because of the way I think, I wonder what is really going on to cause these feelings? Has this happened before? Do you always get tense when you have to do a presentation? What is it about this particular presentation that it is so important? Has someone been putting a lot of pressure on you? And if so, why are they doing it? What is their motive? To make themselves look good? or If you don't do a perfect job, will you lose your job? Will the company go under? Do you have to present this yourself? Is it in front of a lot of people or really important people like the president of the company or to a would be client? Just things to ponder.. I hope that didn't come across as harsh. This is a place of kindness afer all. But some times if I figure out what is really bothering me, I can work through it. Or not lol

And then for me, there are times that worrying about something is worse than just doing it.

In the book, Finding Peace in a Frantic World by Danny Penman and Mark Williams, they talk about work problems like this. So does The Mindful Way through Depression (also on you tube). There is a free library site where you can read these books if you are interested. It is not a torrent type site. They buy the books and give you a link to read it. You can open it, but you can't download or keep it.

A last thought. Is there anyone you could have over who could help you get started? A friend to encourage you?

I have faith in you too. You can do this. And your presentation is going to be great! You'll see. You will be getting pats on the back for doing such a good job.

ps and for a laugh...I wonder if GRRM feels like you do when he starts to write on WoW?? lol

To Dracarya. Would it be possible for you to rent a room in someone's house? They usually aren't as expensive as an apartment. Sometimes elderly people feel safer having someone else there. BTW, you have a lovely website. You are so talented!

You're so kind! I didn't think anyone clicked those links. Haha.

Well most places don't allow couples, and my partner and I are really keen for our own space - hence the waiting. It's frustrating and I did look into it before, but we can save up more if I stay where I am. Bit of a catch 22.

I'm feeling a lot better today. I tried some Acetyl L-Carnitine because of someone recommending it as a supplement against intrusive thoughts, but I'm not sure whether it actually did anything except possibly trigger an allergic reaction. We'll see. 

The anxiety is way down, and I feel like I can feel things much more now. 

EDIT: Ugh, anxiety started coming back a few minutes ago. Doing breathing exercises to try and get it to go down. At least the eye allergic reaction seems to be fading away - I really hope that wasn't the Acetyl L-Carnitine. 

I'm feeling a lot better today. I tried some Acetyl L-Carnitine because of someone recommending it as a supplement against intrusive thoughts, but I'm not sure whether it actually did anything except possibly trigger an allergic reaction. We'll see. 

The anxiety is way down, and I feel like I can feel things much more now. 

EDIT: Ugh, anxiety started coming back a few minutes ago. Doing breathing exercises to try and get it to go down. At least the eye allergic reaction seems to be fading away - I really hope that wasn't the Acetyl L-Carnitine.

Hi! Ground flax seed has all the amino acids and phyto nutrients, along with vitamins and protein. I buy Barlean's brand from Amazon. You can put it in smoothies or sprinkle on foods.

I would like to hear more about your breathing exercises. I've been having an anxiety attack since yesterday and it just won't go away.

I hope your allergic reaction clears up. If not, you can put a sliced raw potato on it, chilled is best and it will draw out any inflammation.

Sending kind thoughts your way ; D

Hello! Has anyone tried acupuncture for anxiety or depression? or to quit smoking?

I am thinking about trying that. I've had it done for back and leg pain and it really helped. My pain dr does it on my back but he doesn't do it for anything else. There is an alternative medicine doctor here, but he doesn't take insurance. I would not want to spend a couple of hundreds of dollars for something that didn't work.

One more question - has anyone tried tried using alternative medicines like herbs for anxiety/depression?
This doctor will blend ingredients for you. But again, not covered by insurance.

Any advice would be so appreciated.

I would like to hear more about your breathing exercises. I've been having an anxiety attack since yesterday and it just won't go away.

I'm trying a combination of diaphragmatic breathing and meditation focusing. Essentially, I do the breathing (deep breathing with my eyes closed into my belly, breath out through my mouth) while also trying to mentally hold the image of a candle in the darkness in my head to clear out all other thought. I've also tried the breathing with a mantra, "Relax" - breathe in "Re-", breathe out "-Lax". 

I'm trying a combination of diaphragmatic breathing and meditation focusing. Essentially, I do the breathing (deep breathing with my eyes closed into my belly, breath out through my mouth) while also trying to mentally hold the image of a candle in the darkness in my head to clear out all other thought. I've also tried the breathing with a mantra, "Relax" - breathe in "Re-", breathe out "-Lax". 

Something that's worked for me is to breathe in (breathe in positive thoughts) and breath out (breathe out a smile) while doing the diaphragmatic breathing. Just mentally recite it over and over while doing the slow, rhythmic breathing.

It's important to do it in a quiet environment, preferably dark and cool. Doing so has helped me ease anxiety and center myself. Afterwards I feel like I've recharged and in a way I have. Many of us have people that are emotionally draining and that can absolutely contribute to increased depression/anxiety/pain. It's important to be able get some of that energy back.

Something that always helps me is to listen to Duncan Trussell; particularly his early appearances on the Joe Rogan Podcast. He invariably talks me into happy.

Also, you MUST take Vitamin D. MUST. 5,000iu/day. Just do it.

And you should probably exercise.

Stopping by really quick - In case no one has mentioned it, there's a chat service called Seven Cups of Tea that might be helpful.

Also a variety of resources in my signature, but it's kinda unwieldy at this point - you always can google to find hotlines, prescription assistance, and so on for your area.

Thanks for the great advice everybody ! It helped me a lot. Yesterday was pretty good, I mean I am still alive to tell the tales  :D I had it all under control for most of the times, and most importantly I did not let my anxiety affect my performance. :bowdown:  to you guys. Also, some more info on the breathing exercises ?

One more question - has anyone tried tried using alternative medicines like herbs for anxiety/depression?
This doctor will blend ingredients for you. But again, not covered by insurance.

Any advice would be so appreciated.

I found rhodiola rosea helped me quite a bit with anxiety. I came off the anti-depressants after six months because they'd helped a lot and I didn't want the side effects anymore, so tried a few different alternative options when I felt myself possibly sinking again. That was the one that helped me the most.

Archived