Rant & Rave without repercussion S 5 continued [book spoilers]

kissdbyfire

Yes, please. Let's talk about how the stories of Stannis, Theon, and Sansa became ALL ABOUT RAMSAY.

Make that Brienne, too, since she stood there watching a tower all season. THE RAMSAY SHOW.

"Hey you know how the book fans consider Theons development to be one of the high points of the entire series, and how it got all the fans to start rooting for a character they used to hate? Lets just make Theon a background character and make it about Ramsay instead. And while we're at it lets make Sansa Ramsays meathole because people know who she is and no one cares about her anyway because she lied to Ned. Oh yeah and lets have Ramsay take his 20 Good Men and force Stannis to do something really terrible that he didn't do in the books, because the show fans are starting to like Stannis and we can't have that" - D&D 2015

They tricked people into liking stannis with those scenes with his daughter so when he does agree to burn her after just tellimg mel to piss off it's more shocking. God they love shocks rather than a logical story.

House D&D. Words: "MUH SHOCK VALUE!"

It angers me that they took a greedy and sleazy tyrion from the books and are trying to present him as a gift from the gods. His speech in episode 7: " the gift " was gag worthy.

Ye gods, lest we forget that one, that was terrible.  I can't imagine that Dinklage himself found that anything but cringe worthy.  

http://38.media.tumblr.com/e02894ce0dcf993d502dacc4c7b5d6b4/tumblr_inline_noxdxgqMvs1rku3fs_540.gif

"In fact, D&D are rather keen to script men without any weaknesses. This year, Ramsay Bolton was in many ways foregrounded to be the undeniable “bad guy” of the season, a role arguably filled by Joffrey before. Perhaps to make him more intimidating, D&D bestowed him with some magical plot armor (though notably lacking in real armor), superior intellect, and incredible fighting prowess. He was able to out-think Sansa at every turn, putting her back in her place each time she somewhat tried to assert herself. He took down an entire army’s supplies, siege weapons, and set free their horses with twenty Good Men. In the season finale, we see Ramsay wearing no armor, surrounded by corpses. Because in a world where women are Damned by Comparison, only Real Men can be suitable foes.

So D&D wrote the “perfect” Villain Sue in Ramsay, gave him a woman who was earnestly fighting for his affections despite the fact that he’s an abusive psychopath, and had him easily win all his battles with his OP fighting skills. In fact, he bears such little resemblance to Book!Ramsay, that he’s pretty much an original character. So…is this what D&D think men should be like? Just like their scripting of Talisa appeared to be wish-fulfillment for a Strong Woman™?"

read the amazing rest here: http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/127506668146/got-season-5-sexism-part-8

"In fact, D&D are rather keen to script men without any weaknesses. This year, Ramsay Bolton was in many ways foregrounded to be the undeniable “bad guy” of the season, a role arguably filled by Joffrey before. Perhaps to make him more intimidating, D&D bestowed him with some magical plot armor (though notably lacking in real armor), superior intellect, and incredible fighting prowess. He was able to out-think Sansa at every turn, putting her back in her place each time she somewhat tried to assert herself. He took down an entire army’s supplies, siege weapons, and set free their horses with twenty Good Men. In the season finale, we see Ramsay wearing no armor, surrounded by corpses. Because in a world where women are Damned by Comparison, only Real Men can be suitable foes.

So D&D wrote the “perfect” Villain Sue in Ramsay, gave him a woman who was earnestly fighting for his affections despite the fact that he’s an abusive psychopath, and had him easily win all his battles with his OP fighting skills. In fact, he bears such little resemblance to Book!Ramsay, that he’s pretty much an original character. So…is this what D&D think men should be like? Just like their scripting of Talisa appeared to be wish-fulfillment for a Strong Woman™?"

read the amazing rest here: http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/127506668146/got-season-5-sexism-part-8

I knew I recognized those words from the get go........the first sentences in your post.   Thanks for reminding us that these posts are there.   :cheers:

Ty for linking :wub: (and sorry I've been failing to)

Speaking of shock value though, I was thinking about all the random character 180s D&D pulled so we'd be SURPRISED. I came up with:

• Dany's dragons aren't trained. Wait now they're trained.
  • Dany loves due process. Wait now here's a public execution.
  • Stannis loves Shireen and won't send her to a leper colony. Wait no now he's burning her.
  • Faullaria from E09 to E10: she was faking contrition to Doran I guess, but what was the point of that scene at all?
  • Sansa asserting herself to Myranda in the bathtub scene, then getting raped. (or just Darth Sansa vs. Rape Victim Sansa in general)
  • Thorne letting the Wildlings through then randomly stabbing Jon?
  • Batfinger needing Carol's permission to invade the North, then switching sides to throw her under the bus for the Tyrells
  • Carol randomly arming the Faith after being a fairly reasonable politician/struggling Tiger Mom
  • Grandpa Sparrow going from sort of flirting with Carol and speaking against violence to leading the cartoonish revolution against the gays

Did I leave any out?

Speaking of shock value though, I was thinking about all the random character 180s D&D pulled so we'd be SURPRISED. I came up with:

• Stannis loves Shireen and won't send her to a leper colony. Wait no now he's burning her.
  • Faullaria from E09 to E10: she was faking contrition to Doran I guess, but what was the point of that scene at all?
  • Sansa asserting herself to Myranda in the bathtub scene, then getting raped. (or just Darth Sansa vs. Rape Victim Sansa in general)
  • Batfinger needing Carol's permission to invade the North, then switching sides to throw her under the bus for the Tyrells
  • Carol randomly arming the Faith after being a fairly reasonable politician/struggling Tiger Mom
  • Grandpa Sparrow going from sort of flirting with Carol and speaking against violence to leading the cartoonish revolution against the gays

Did I leave any out?

I love your tumblr posts so much.

Did I leave any out?

Does Stannis turning from a military genius to an idiot who can't even defend his own camp against 20 Good Men count?

I love your tumblr posts so much.

I owe it all to these threads  :grouphug:

Does Stannis turning from a military genius to an idiot who can't even defend his own camp against 20 Good Men count?

It counts as something, alright.

Oh oh, Myrcella and Larry having a totally realistic "happy" moment before she dies. And also Selyse going from "I hate my daughter" to killing herself. What SHOCKS.

On top of all the gaping plot holes, epic logic fails, and plain god-awful writing, this season was marked by characters constantly pulling 180°s and extremely underwhelming stuff such as FTW/WTF.

And it never received as much praise as it did this year, while Hannibal got cancelled. A world gone mad.

The forum ate my post somehow!

What bothers me is the number of people I see who continue to defend the show's treatment of Sansa by stating some variation of "at least she does stuff; unlike her junk in the books." I find that pretty false and an indication that they don't understand her arc in the books. I see that for Brienne, too. I'll admit, I don't find her chapters particularly compelling. But she's certainly more active than in the show. Brienne-smashing LFs troops in the beginning and killing Stannis at the end does not make for a good, active season.

This is my new favorite thread.

Also apparently GRRM has confirmed that Stannis is still alive in the books...he could just mean "Stannis is alive as of where the last book left off", but it almost seems more like he's referring to Stannis surviving the Battle of Winterfell. If this turns out to be true it'll be the first time D&D have actually actively fucked with the outcome of a major battle like that to my knowledge, unless I'm forgetting something.

Carol randomly arming the Faith after being a fairly reasonable politician/struggling Tiger Mom.

But Marg called her a "drunken old hag" (that was very mature Margie by the way :rolleyes: ), this could not stand!!11!

Also apparently GRRM has confirmed that Stannis is still alive in the books.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Stannis arc is unfinished in the books. They really just wanted to get rid of him on the show and took the first opportunity. Probably thought Tarly coming in in season 6 would be too similar a character.

This is my new favorite thread.

Also apparently GRRM has confirmed that Stannis is still alive in the books...he could just mean "Stannis is alive as of where the last book left off", but it almost seems more like he's referring to Stannis surviving the Battle of Winterfell. If this turns out to be true it'll be the first time D&D have actually actively fucked with the outcome of a major battle like that to my knowledge, unless I'm forgetting something.

Most likely he is still alive where the books AND sample chapters left off. There are no promises by the end of TWOW for anyone.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Stannis arc is unfinished in the books. They really just wanted to get rid of him on the show and took the first opportunity. Probably thought Tarly coming in in season 6 would be too similar a character.

It seems they just dislike Stannis. They may very well think that Tarly is tough but fair, who knows with them. Imagine him hilariously verbally abusing Sam!

Archived