September Reads -Back to school time!

mashiara

about 85 pages into Assassin's Apprentice, first time getting into Hobb. fuckin' solid, expect to fly though this one despite my significantly decimated free-reading time.

also grabbed Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, recognizing Jemisin's name from here, but without the following books, and seeing the impressions given above, will likely bump that further down the to-read pile.

In what is one of those weird moments in time, I've actually been reading Jemisin's HUNDRED THOUSAND KINGDOMS. I also read Hobb's ASSASSIN'S APPRENTICE earlier in the year. (I am a Fantasy Author (tm) now, and so I am attempting to catch up on things I have missed over time.)

Quality wise, the Hobb is a little more consistent throughout, but the Jemisin is a little more ambitious, in part due to her choice of narrative style. Anyhow, I've enjoyed the Jemisin, and I wouldn't bump it too far down, really.

But The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms has sex from a female POV! ICKY GIRL COOTIES!

(Sorry, I'm in a mood. Switch the genders, name the pov character kvothe and extend the sex for 200 pages and no one seems to mind. how odd.)

I would have minded, but I didn't think it was worth my time to continue past the first book.

I would have minded, but I didn't think it was worth my time to continue past the first book.

The first book is the weakest.

I just discovered Neal Asher and had been wanting to start a new SciFi series so have dived into Gridlocked the first in Asher's world. Really liking it so far, though it definitely feels like a first novel and am expecting improvement in subsequent books.

But The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms has sex from a female POV! ICKY GIRL COOTIES!

(Sorry, I'm in a mood. Switch the genders, name the pov character kvothe and extend the sex for 200 pages and no one seems to mind. how odd.)

Come off it. People fucking hated the sex in Wise Man's Fear. Quite rightly.

Just finished The Martian by Andy Weir. There's probably no point saying much about it given the staggering number of positive reviews its gotten on places like Amazon. But it was the most gripping book I've read in a long time. I don't know how that's possible since half in the time it could be mistaken for an engineering treatise, but there you have it.

Catching up what I've read to coincide with books that came out today.

Two Years Eight Months and Twenty-Eight Nights by Salman Rushdie...

...The Traitor Baru Cormorant

Ugh, I'm so jealous. What with these, Fool's Quest, Sorcerer to the Crown, Fifth Season, House of Shattered Wings...you seem to read all the books I want to, just a few weeks before I get them. *blows raspberry*

Anyway, I decided to read the Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham. I'm enjoying it so far, although I'm finding it a bit difficult to try and keep the different races straight in my head. I suppose I'll just get used to it the more I read of the series. About 35% in so far and certainly understand all the praise I see Abraham get on these boards.

A question that may be spoiler-y:

[spoiler] is Master Kim the Apostate from the prologue? [/spoiler]

Anyway, I decided to read the Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham. I'm enjoying it so far, although I'm finding it a bit difficult to try and keep the different races straight in my head. I suppose I'll just get used to it the more I read of the series. About 35% in so far and certainly understand all the praise I see Abraham get on these boards.

Not sure which version you have, but check if it has a glossary in the back. (later books do, and maybe the ebook does?) But, yes, it becomes easier to keep the different races straight in your head as the book/series progresses.

To answer your question

[spoiler] I think so, yes. It's been awhile since I read the book. [/spoiler]

Have just finished it, I'd say by the end I had an only slightly better grasp on the different races characteristics/physiology, but aside from
Yardem occasionally referred to as "the Traglu", it didn't really have much bearing on the plot, so was pretty much a non-issue for me

[Spoiler]and yep, totally[/spoiler]

Edit: quoted wrong person, doh

Ugh, I'm so jealous. What with these, Fool's Quest, Sorcerer to the Crown, Fifth Season, House of Shattered Wings...you seem to read all the books I want to, just a few weeks before I get them. *blows raspberry*

I kept this page loaded on a tab on my phone pretty much the entire time I read that book: http://www.danielabraham.com/books-by-daniel-abraham/the-dagger-and-the-coin/the-dragons-path/an-introduction-to-the-taxonomy-of-races/

And are you reading an eBook? Because that should have Levitation Wakes in it too, so you might be a lot closer to the end than you think, check the table of contents.

I kept this page loaded on a tab on my phone pretty much the entire time I read that book: http://www.danielabraham.com/books-by-daniel-abraham/the-dagger-and-the-coin/the-dragons-path/an-introduction-to-the-taxonomy-of-races/
And are you reading an eBook? Because that should have Levitation Wakes in it too, so you might be a lot closer to the end than you think, check the table of contents.

Not sure which version you have, but check if it has a glossary in the back. (later books do, and maybe the ebook does?) But, yes, it becomes easier to keep the different races straight in your head as the book/series progresses.

To answer your question
[spoiler] I think so, yes. It's been awhile since I read the book. [/spoiler]

Have just finished it, I'd say by the end I had an only slightly better grasp on the different races characteristics/physiology, but aside from
Yardem occasionally referred to as "the Traglu", it didn't really have much bearing on the plot, so was pretty much a non-issue for me
[Spoiler]and yep, totally[/spoiler]
Edit: quoted wrong person, doh

Thanks all. I've got the kindle version. I don't think it has a glossary or Levitation Wakes though. It ends with "Entr'acte" and Acknowledgements. I'll make use of the link REG posted though.

Archived