September Reads -Back to school time!

mashiara

Working my way through The Longest Journey by E.M Foster. Not enjoying it as much as Howards End but still has the beautiful prose that I loved so much in Howards End. Looking forward to reading more of his work.

A Passage to India is really excellent, if you've not read that.

I finished The Pale Horseman by Bernard Cornwell today. I adore this series, but the kindle editions are getting pricey, so I might have to switch back to paperbacks (there goes my trying not to buy more books and thus add more stuff I have to pack up in a few months!). Also, one of our warehouses is in Westbury, and the manager's house overlooks the White Horse, which commemorates where they believe the Battle of Ethandun was. Which is pretty cool.

I may finally move on to Oswald next, as I have it, rather than buying the rest of Cornwell's series just yet. But I'm not sure how long I'll be able to resist.

I finished The Pale Horseman by Bernard Cornwell today. I adore this series, but the kindle editions are getting pricey, so I might have to switch back to paperbacks (there goes my trying not to buy more books and thus add more stuff I have to pack up in a few months!). Also, one of our warehouses is in Westbury, and the manager's house overlooks the White Horse, which commemorates where they believe the Battle of Ethandun was. Which is pretty cool.

I may finally move on to Oswald next, as I have it, rather than buying the rest of Cornwell's series just yet. But I'm not sure how long I'll be able to resist.

Love Cornwell. Read The Lords of the North recently (bonus points given for being set in areas nearby where i live) and it was probably my favourite of the series so far. I got the first two when they were on sale but i agree they are a bit pricey, especially considering how many books there are (and I'm not sure how many are planned either).

Finished NK Jemisin's Fifth Season. Overall very satisfying and it will likely be on my nomination list for a Hugo in 2016.

Started on Kameron Hurley's Worldbreaker Saga (two of three books have been published; one last year and one last month) after blazing through her Bel Dame Apocrypha trilogy this summer. The book has a great concept, but I'm struggling a bit to get a hold of the main characters -- this seems to be the major complaint against the first book in the reviews I've read, so it wasn't a surprise.

Finished Jemisin's The Fifth Season.  Very good.  Not quite up there with Hobb in terms of this year's entry, but pretty darn close.  Parker's Savages still sticks at number one I think. in terms of this year's releases.

Neither Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho or The Sleeping King by Cindy Dees really wowed me.  Both left me a little flat.  Something lacking in terms of plot and the characters never really seemed to catch hold.  I'd read something from Zho though over Dees I think if I had the choice for a second chance work.

Been looking at some of the Tor.com entries.  I have read the sampler and am definitely getting the one by KJ Parker and the one by Polansky.  But not sure about this month's offerings. 

Love Cornwell. Read The Lords of the North recently (bonus points given for being set in areas nearby where i live) and it was probably my favourite of the series so far. I got the first two when they were on sale but i agree they are a bit pricey, especially considering how many books there are (and I'm not sure how many are planned either).

Aw man. I'm going to just buy the paperbacks of the next few, they're so cheap on amazon. Or scour some second hand bookshops.

Reading Oswald, Return of the King in the meantime. Similar era, though a different writing style - kinda reminds me of Karen Maitland (who needs to release a new book already!).

Finished The Dark Forest.  I thought the sequel to The Three-Body Problem was just as just as the first book.  Like Three-Body it's got lots of ideas, though this time it's less specific physics problems than broader sociological and psychological concepts.  The main character is also less of a cipher, less of a stand-in for the reader and more his own character.  This book is quite bleaker than I expected, but hopeful too.  I'm looking forward to the final book in April.

Now reading Last First Snow by Max Gladstone, fourth book in the Craft Sequence.

Been looking at some of the Tor.com entries.  I have read the sampler and am definitely getting the one by KJ Parker and the one by Polansky.  But not sure about this month's offerings. 

I'm definitely getting the Parker and the Polansky and planning to buy Sorcerer of the Wildeeps, Sunset Mantle, and Binti

Started on Kameron Hurley's Worldbreaker Saga (two of three books have been published; one last year and one last month) after blazing through her Bel Dame Apocrypha trilogy this summer. The book has a great concept, but I'm struggling a bit to get a hold of the main characters -- this seems to be the major complaint against the first book in the reviews I've read, so it wasn't a surprise.

Did book 2 come out already outside the states?  I am still seeing October as the release.

I finished The Serpent of Venice by Christopher Moore.  Weird mash up of Othello, The Merchant of Venice, and general Moore craziness.  Not his funniest book but one of the more solid plot lines.  I still enjoy Moore's books but no longer consider him a favorite as I did once upon a time.

Started The Traitor Baru Cormorant.  First off, it started with a very rare map I actually looked through.  Hand drawn, looking like an older school kid's study guide for a region.  Creative and different, I like it.  Then I quickly shot through the first fifty pages and I think this may be worth the hype.  A savant with a grudge, who doesn't want that?

I'm finally giving Umberto Eco's Name of the Rose a shot.  About 80 pages in and not sure what to say yet.  Feels older than its time (1980) though it's based off an older manuscript or something, so perhaps that's a feature rather than a bug.

Started The Traitor Baru Cormorant.  First off, it started with a very rare map I actually looked through.  Hand drawn, looking like an older school kid's study guide for a region.  Creative and different, I like it.  Then I quickly shot through the first fifty pages and I think this may be worth the hype.  A savant with a grudge, who doesn't want that?

Jealous. 

Ooh, that's a very appealing blurb.

Finished up The Longest Journey. Definitely not as good as Howards End, though enjoyable enough in its own way. The ending felt a bit abrupt though.

Not sure what I'm going to go for next. I've a few books downloaded already that I want to read I just don't know which to read first. Torn between The Vagrant by Peter Newman or The Dragons Path by Daniel Abraham. Heard nothing but good things about Abraham so I'll probably go with that.

Had a look at this on Amazon and sounds pretty interesting. Colour me intrigued. Not released until September  24th here though. The title is also just "The Traitor" here too, for any U.K boarders who are interested.

Archived