NFL 2015 Week Won cont: Return of the Honeybadger.

Jace, Extat

Good to see the NFL finally has it right on discipline:  Pac Man won't be suspended for trying to smash Amari Cooper's head into his own helmet, which was not on his head because Pac man had just ripped it off.  I'm sure there's some one smoking pot right now that the league can boot for 4 games.

Good to see the NFL finally has it right on discipline:  Pac Man won't be suspended for trying to smash Amari Cooper's head into his own helmet, which was not on his head because Pac man had just ripped it off.  I'm sure there's some one smoking pot right now that the league can boot for 4 games.

Eh. Lets not point out the fact that Cooper punched Jones in the throat before that situation happened and then pushed him again prior to them tussling it out on the ground. Lets also not point out the fact that Cooper said he doesn't think Jones deserves to be suspended and that things happen in the heat of the moment in a football game. 

Fair enough. Though that competence still lost the division to a team QBed by....Tebow. I know that's the highwater mark of the Raiders in the last decade but man, this definitely needs to factor into the franchise misery rankings. 

Yeah, I'm not trying to paint the guy as the second coming or anything. Still, he was far and away the best they'd had since Chucky. If you're the Raiders, you'd think you could look past some warts, ya know? And that was the same Tebow led team that knocked Pittsburgh out of the playoffs, right? I think it's safe to say that God left Oakland long before 2010.

Eh. Lets not point out the fact that Cooper punched Jones in the throat before that situation happened and then pushed him again prior to them tussling it out on the ground. Lets also not point out the fact that Cooper said he doesn't think Jones deserves to be suspended and that things happen in the heat of the moment in a football game. 

Suspend them both then. "He provoked me" is not a defense to something that is really just a criminal assualt, as it's not part of the game.

It's also intentionally trying to inflict a head issue, ya know, the thing the NFL has had a couple issues with.

Suspend them both then. "He provoked me" is not a defense to something that is really just a criminal assualt, as it's not part of the game.

It's also intentionally trying to inflict a head issue, ya know, the thing the NFL has had a couple issues with.

Eh, I doubt what was going through his mind was "I'm going to rip his helmet off and slam his head into it". It was a heat of the moment situation. No idea what Cooper is saying to him at that moment either.

I agree if you're going to suspend, suspend both and I get that Jones did wrong. I agree with it. I just hate that no media coverage was actually on what caused it but only focused on the very end. It's normal, I expect it, but I don't like it.

Just to add:

“I don’t think he should be suspended,” Cooper said. “We were just playing physical. I should’ve been playing physical. Honestly, I didn’t even know I hit my head on the helmet.”

Seems like it looked harder than it actually was.

When you all are talking about how bad teams have been, don't forget the Lions.

I became a Lions fan in 88.  Since then I have witnessed 1 playoff win, Scott Mitchell, Matt Millen and 0-16.  

The one thing I did have as a Lions fan was watching Barry Sanders run every Sunday.  He was a thing of beauty.

I try to remain objective about this team, but damn, the losses still can be soul crushing.

Soul crushing defeat is a way of life for a Lions fan, been one since the late 70s. Though we're huge on optimism. One of the things I've noticed over the years is that Lions fans are great people and some of the kindest and most courteous people I ever met, and I met many Lions fans over the years.

I'm just jealous you saw Barry Sanders run every Sunday, couldn't get Lions games in most places I lived except for Thanksgiving and if they played the local team. This year I'll see 6 games and have expectations of playoff wins plus lots of new grey hairs. If they win I'll be happy, if they don't there's always next year. Either way I no longer get sympathetic looks from people when I wear my Lions gear.

I just laugh when I hear people whining about their teams, they know nothing.

I just laugh when I hear people whining about their teams, they know nothing.

The lows of the Lions organization can match the lows of any team in all of sports, not just the NFL.  2001-2010 was possibly the worst decade by any sports team ever, featuring an 0-16 season, and 5 of the 10 seasons ended with 13 losses or more.  The banner year for the decade was a 7-9 finish.

However, 1991-'00 really wasn't so bad (6 winning seasons and an NFCCG appearance), and the current decade is looking pretty decent as well.  So on the whole, it seems like things might be looking up for the Lions.  And you'll always have Barry Sanders, one of the most exciting and classy players in league history. 

Was it mediocre play? A conservative game plan? A little of both?

Cutler is who we think he is, but the victory is, for the most part, he bought into whatever Fox was selling. And with a strong-ish run game, Cutler helped keep the Rodgers of the field for chunks at a time.

Well said.

If that's the case for some Colts fans, so be it, but I do not think they are there yet.  Yes, there is notorious in fighting between the GM and Pagano, but other than that?  That team tries, they have Luck, they had Manning, they have had a SB and an appearance in the last 10 years; they went to the AFC Championship game; they get good players, they have a GREAT coach.  Their ownership at least tries to draft well, they get good talent and retain good talent.  I mean, you could even make an argument that their actions during Deflategate show that, as an organization, they care about everything that goes an and are willing to at least complain about it.  Are they perfect?  No- they traded a #1 pick for Trent Richardson, their owner is ... just terrible and they may have screwed up this past draft by not taking a DT #1.  

But there is no great sin undermining all of it; their is no lack of effort, dedication or intelligence.  They are a fine organization who do things with an eye on success.  

If I were a fan of the Colts, while it may not be be perfect, its better than 66% of the league right now and that's something to stay with. At lest for now.  

Wow. That's the nicest collection of things I've heard you say about the Colts, Rocky. I appreciate your words.

I mean I get Jace being depressed by Colts' organizational incompetence. I've been beating this drum for awhile. Luck fell into their lap, and he's a franchise changer, but outside of him do we have any evidence this is a better organization than many of the bad teams in the NFL who look like they're going nowhere after week 1 (i.e.: Browns, Raiders, Redskins, Jaguars etc.)? They've had their full compliment of picks and endless cap space plus the best young QB in the game and I just don't see a lot of elite talent on this roster. Vontae Davis and arguably T.Y. Hilton and that's it. The Skins have more than that. The Raiders and Browns too. 

So I don't think Pagano is any great shakes but it's crazy to me he's the one on the hot seat vs. Grigson. At least Pagano can point to playoff wins and going further in the playoffs every year. What can Grigson point to? All I see is frittering away the greatest advantage any team has in football - Andrew Luck on a rookie contract. In a year, that's over. It gets harder from here to get better so where's the longterm plan to get to be a true Superbowl contender? Don't tell me it's 30 somethings like Frank Gore and Andre Johnson. It's gotta be the draft picks but where are the difference makers? If he can't find those gems that Polian used to picking in the 20's, he's not the right guy for the job. So I get the frustration, absolutely.

That said, Jace, it's hard as a Skins fan to read that long post and not think "oh, sweet summer child". The Colts have probably been the easiest ride for an NFL fan over the last 15 years. Always really good, always get to root for one of the sport's most likable, transcendent talents, no major scandals to make you question why you root for such terrible people. Yeah your owner is a spoiled, entitled, douchebag alcoholic. That just puts him in the middle tier of NFL owner rankings. Maybe when it all comes too easy to a sports fan they stop appreciating the winning? For almost everyone else, winning is hard. Really hard. PFM and Luck are just gifted at making it look easy. And yeah if I was a fan of a team that could fall out of bed into a 10 win season, I wouldn't be satisfied with just that. And I'd probably get bored with just that. It's certainly more fun to root for underdog teams making good.

Just remain cognizant that the other 90% of the time is abject misery for us on levels I could never even conceptualize even in all the terrible Norv Turner/Spurrier/Jim Zorn years. There were a couple babies outfitted in Burgundy and Gold at the Skins watch party this Sunday among displaced DCers and all I could think of is "why would you subject a child to that?!" 

ETA: Took me so long to put together this post I see other Skins fans have weighed in. Boo yeah on misery. 

That basically just summed up my feelings in one well worded post, while also kind of calling me out on them. I appreciate that.

And to you and Rocky and everyone else who responded... You're all right that I've been spoiled and I'm almost certainly overreacting. But it's just so damn frustrating to think -to truly believe- that I or anyone on this board could have set the Colts up for future success better than did Grigson. And now it's Chuck's job on the line (as it should be, he needs to get better play out of that fucking defense) and we're probably gonna make the playoffs, Luck will put the team on his back for 1 or 2 games before another blowout loss and Grigson will keep his job. And it's humiliating to me that I spent 3 years defending Grigson and his choices when the rest of you were -rightly- mocking them. I drank the kool-aid and I feel ridiculous for it. 

I know as a football fan -setting aside being a Colts fan- that I've been truly blessed to see my 4 favorite QB's perform (Vick, Manning, Robert Griffin III, and Luck) and 2 of them were even on my team! But now this latest one, who's the only player I can imagine usurping 04 Vick as my favorite player, is just languishing away under a psychotic GM, a coach who seems like a great human being but can't make adjustments, an O-line that couldn't block the sun from hitting the ground, and a front-7 that's hoping a 34 year old coming of a torn achilles will save the day.

How did this even happen!?! I know it's not as bad as the 49'ers exodus or RGIII and it can't hold a candle to the poor dogs in Cleveland that I constantly mock. But this is (sorry, I had to compose myself there) this is my team. They were supposed to be better than all that and it's so incredibly upsetting to me that yesterday all I wanted was to be wearing a Bills jersey because that team may have endured a century of misery but look at how excited they and all of their fans are!

I was at the Wildcard shootout vs the Chiefs and I thought (I really thought) that we the fans had set the place rocking. But even through the TV I see that it was nothing compared to how desperately overjoyed they were in Buffalo. The great moments as a Colts fan are there, but in hindsight they feel cheapened because there was no reason that we shouldn't be the Evil Empire Patriots before and after Manning. But instead what the Colts have turned into over the years is a great QB and maybe a few WR's surrounded by absolute mediocrity. Vontae Davis is currently my favorite Colt since Reggie Wayne left, and all he could do was make me feel the same way only on the opposite side of the ball. Sammy Watkins wasn't open enough to catch a cold, but every time I summoned up the willpower to switch back from that engaging Bears-Packers game I got to see guys running fifteen yards into the backfield on defense and looking confused as to why the ball was being advanced behind them. It's like they didn't even understand what rushing lanes are. Or how to set the edge, or how to actually be on the lookout for the run.

I guess what it keeps coming back to is that Rocky and Dante were right. There were people at the Colts games in 2011 with signs that said 'Suck for Luck'. And I can't dismiss it anymore, I can't make excuses for it anymore. Colts fans are horrible, entitled people. When Reggie Wayne, the greatest person to grace our town with his presence wasn't re-signed they actively attacked him... I can't stand the thought of being affiliated with those assholes anymore. The more I think about the Colts and the people involved with them, the less I like what I see.

That's it, that's my sobfest. I had a couple of other posts I wanted to respond to but right now I need to go find a Yoohoo and figure out what I'm gonna eat for the double-header.

I was at the Wildcard shootout vs the Chiefs and I thought (I really thought) that we the fans had set the place rocking. But even through the TV I see that it was nothing compared to how desperately overjoyed they were in Buffalo. 

I think you have to put that in perspective though. How long have Bills fans waited for a moment to be that excited? It's kind of like the Royals last year in baseball. You have this long suffering, loyal fanbase whose finally given an excuse to go nuts.

That's true for all fans. Bills aren't that much worse. Not as bad as gb.

I seem to remember some study a few years back that measured alcohol sales in professional sports venues per capita, and Buffalo was at or near the top of the list. The Googles isn't helping me find anything though.

And it's humiliating to me that I spent 3 years defending Grigson and his choices when the rest of you were -rightly- mocking them. I drank the kool-aid and I feel ridiculous for it. 

Hey, believe me, virtually every incarnation NFL thread on this board is me drinking the kool aid on almost every terrible regime the Skins have installed since 2006 and then having the reality of rooting for a hopelessly inept franchise relentlessly beat that out of me. 

I still think a big part of being a fan is finding something to believe in even if it isn't necessarily rational. And the one thing you can point to, as a Colts fan, is winning the Superbowl the one year in the Manning era you definitively should not have by every reasonable measure. You just never know...

As for D-bag fans, I'd say every fanbase has at least some. Some more than some. Except the Eagles - poets and scholars all.

And three sheets to the wind, more often than not. Or so I've heard.

There's no proof

Have I ever told you guys that you rock? Thanks for not tearing me to pieces or anything. I'm not willing to get back on board just yet, but I don't feel quite as miserable about the Colts as I did before.

And that Kiko Alonso pick though! :P

I don't think she's complaining about them being bad - she's complaining about them being incompetent, squandering better opportunities than most franchises get, and being unable to either learn from mistakes or have a sound organizational process. I think that's fair, although it took more than that for me, and once Incognito gets cut I'll be back on with the Bills. I have to wonder whether I'm the weakest link, though, given that I was rooting for the Colts during that debacle yesterday.

I dug into Incognito as much as anybody the other year and I absolutely loath bullies. I dealt with my fair share of jackasses in highschool myself. My friends gave me the nickname Jace the Mace, but a lot of other people preferred to call me 'LL'. So I completely get your distaste with his being on the team. But also part of being a better person is being willing to forgive. I'm not saying you should forgive Incognito, but after 2 years I'm willing to believe maybe this guy who was pandered to throughout his high school and college and professional years might have learned a thing or two about not being a horrible person. I don't care about all of his apologies and him apparently going to some kind of 'treatment facility' or whatever. But I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt 2 years later on a different team. That said, the moment he takes a cheap shot on or off the field I'll shun the Bills myself.

Just my thoughts on the matter, if that in any way can get you back to watching your team. :)

Archived