NFL 2015 Week Won cont: Return of the Honeybadger.

Jace, Extat

Took a short drive to buy some YooHoo and did some reflecting along the way.

Never have I been so unhappy with being a Colts fan. I've mentioned before how the Sunday Night game vs New Orleans in 2011 affected me, but that was blissfully fleeting compared to this. All offseason I've done my best to 'stick with' my team, whatever that means. From watching Grigson focus on improving the wrong parts of the roster in FA with guys who could never be long-term answers, to the drafting of Phillip Dorsett, to You-Know-What. I hung in there as best I could, but I'm not going to go out of my way to deal with this stupid shit anymore.

I've conflicted with Dante and Rocky as recently as the other day about their taking shots at the Colts for the part they played in Deflategate, and I still believe in the arguments I made. But they had solid points and I can't summon up the effort anymore to want to defend the Colts. I have this app on my Gpad that lets me listen to radio stations from Indy that I've always liked and since Friday I've heard during breaks in the music people calling in and bitching about the Patriots being cheaters. From people still whining about Spygate to claims that 'we would have won the superbowl if Brady didn't cheat!' and now this headset bullshit. I can't help but be disgusted by these ignorant morons who claim to like my team. The team I watched with my dad every Sunday while he taught me everything I know about the game. I always had some kind of belief that Colts fans were pretty knowledgeable, reinforced by how quiet the RCA dome would get when Peyton was on the field. I was convinced that the moron casual fans of other teams didn't apply to mine on the same levels. 

But there's no getting around the fact that I don't like any of the other Colts fans I know personally who aren't on the other side of the country, I hate the way the roster was constructed, the coaching decisions leave me bewildered, the owner is a pig, and the defense (my favorite side of the ball) is horrific to watch. I thought that strides were made last year, but dear god was I wrong. Dante and Rocky are more or less right about this team. Initially during all of this I thought that Brady deserved to get in trouble because as ridiculous as it was, he did break a rule. But fuck Ryan Grigson for making me have to listen to all of this ignorant and stupid shit about air pressure in footballs. Fuck Chuck Pagano for having the pregame planning skills of a 20 pound goldfish. And fuck all of those 'fans' who don't know a goddamn thing about what they call in to radio stations to blather about.

I'm taking a break from the Colts. I'm still a Colts fan, I still believe in Andrew Luck, but we need some time apart. I'm not going out of my way anymore for this team until serious changes are made to the front office and coaching staff at least.

I love watching football more than just about anything, and I was miserable this morning watching the Colts. And it wasn't just because they were getting destroyed, it was because I was so much more interested in that Bills team with their excited head coach who ran onto the field to chest bump his CB after a big play. Then when the afternoon games came on I was having a great time watching Bruce Arians' 'fuck you' offense and the swarming Cardinals defense. That's what I want to feel when I watch football, and the Colts have left me feeling little more than defensive and contemptuous all summer. Yes, somebody's gonna accuse me of abandoning 'my team' after 1 loss and being a fair weather fan, but I'd rather deal with that than pretend to be interested in this team right now.

If they turn it around and start putting forth some life (and not just on offense) I hope I can get into watching my favorite team again. But I meant what I wrote earlier about hoping that the team finishes poorly enough for a housecleaning after the season. I'd much rather be able to follow an overhauled team that finished 6-10 and is making the right moves than whatever this shit is. I defended Pagano and Grigson as far as I possibly can, and I appreciate that they both put forth their best effort. But they've robbed me of the joy I used to feel when tuning in to see those mediocre uniforms.

For now, I'm stepping back and declaring myself simply a football fan. And I'll focus on whatever matchup or team seems most exciting at the moment. If that includes the Colts, wonderful. If it doesn't, I don't care anymore. 

Sadface.

I've conflicted with Dante and Rocky as recently as the other day about their taking shots at the Colts for the part they played in Deflategate, and I still believe in the arguments I made. But they had solid points and I can't summon up the effort anymore to want to defend the Colts

I get being down on them based on their performance, but I don't think you need to defend them regarding Deflategate. They accused the Pats of doing some underhanded shit with the balls, and it turned out they were doing some underhanded shit with the balls. 

I get being down on them based on their performance, but I don't think you need to defend them regarding Deflategate. They accused the Pats of doing some underhanded shit with the balls, and it turned out they were doing some underhanded shit with the balls. 

It's not just one thing, it's all of it combined to just make them completely unlikable right now. As a depressive alcoholic with a certain type of history, I don't need to hate the team I'm supposed to like. So until they earn back my affection, fuck 'em.

Meanwhile, the Cowboys are just melting down.

It's not just one thing, it's all of it combined to just make them completely unlikable right now. As a depressive alcoholic with a certain type of history, I don't need to hate the team I'm supposed to like. So until they earn back my affection, fuck 'em.

Meanwhile, the Cowboys are just melting down.

Well if you honestly feel your fandom is going to threaten your sobriety, then I wholly support your decision. If I thought for a second that the Niners would drive me back into drug use, I'd drop 'em like a hot rock.

Archived