Wise Man's Fear XI

Michael Seswatha Jordan

8 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Wow,thanks for reminding me about her :P.Another unfinished trilogy! :rolleyes:

The author is Sarah Micklem btw and the sequel, Wildfire,came out in 2009.Still waiting for the final book.

Yeaj I have a feeling that one is DOA. Last interview I found(and i had to DIG through google) She said she was "thinking" about "starting to plan book 3", and this was..or...2014? It looks like the shit sale canned that one. (She has a crazy full time job, I forget what. )

1 hour ago, Ninefingers said:

They've been optioned, but there are many steps between where we are and show actually happening. It could still happen regardless of how book 3 does, but IMO if book 3 flops it lowers the odds of us ever seeing it on screen.

They're further along than that though. It's actually in active development with a screenwriter and everything.

On 30/08/2016 at 5:26 PM, Ninefingers said:

They've been optioned, but there are many steps between where we are and show actually happening. It could still happen regardless of how book 3 does, but IMO if book 3 flops it lowers the odds of us ever seeing it on screen.

That's assuming the book comes out before they starting making the show, which I wouldn't really rely on.

On 8/29/2016 at 4:14 PM, Ninefingers said:

Eh, Rothfuss has made some mistakes, over-promising and under-delivering chief among them. But it's a bad dynamic all the way around. See the first comment on his recent blog post, which showed up a couple hours after the post:

Whenever there’s no comments on the blog, I feel like I fucked something up….

He clearly wants/values the love, attention, and feedback he gets from fans. It matters to him. Problem with the feedback mattering so much is that the negative feedback hurts. Because he can't compartmentalize, broad swaths of fans get caught in the crossfire when he acts snarky and hits back. It's too bad.

As for the delay in Book 3 arriving?

1. He's a slow writer, full stop. It was a first class screw up on his part to pretend he was anything else.

2. I'm guessing that the stress of expectations makes writing it not fun. Combine that with a myriad of fun readily available alternatives (Family! Podcasts with Geek Celebrities! Conventions! Etc) and I'm not sure I'd get any writing done if I were in his shoes.

3. There's a lot riding on this book, both personally and professionally. KKC is likely to be the most significant work of his career and what he will be remembered for. How book 3 is received will play a large part in: determining his legacy, whether or not TV/movies happen, and the continued success of his charity. He's the Next Big Thing(TM) in fantasy, but that goes away if he doesn't stick the landing here. It shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that he's taking his time to get it perfect. 

He's a slow writer is not much of an excuse when you're hitting the 5+ year mark.  That's more than slow writing, that's actively not writing.  I think you've hit the nail on the head with number 2.  He's doing well financially now, he can do stuff he enjoys rather than work. Like many people who don't need to work anymore, he has chosen not to.  The third doesn't make a lot of sense. He's doing the exact opposite of what he should be if he cares about things like legacy, tv/movies, or maintaining the title of "Next Big Thing".

5 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Please link us to all the successful 1000 page fantasy novels you have written.

So someone who finds themselves waiting two hours for dessert at a restaurant can only complain if they are a qualified chef?

Frankly, I think you either have to take the "implicit obligation" line or "the author is not your bitch line". Whether or not someone is an author themselves is irrelevant.

If you've purchased a dessert there is more than an "implict obligation".  The obligation is explicit.  The analogy fails as a result.

Rothfuss' fault is claiming completion when the books were not complete.  He misled his readers.  Regardless, I don't believe flaying the man for misleading his readers is helpful at this point.

6 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I just get irritated when I see people assume that writing a book/story what have you is just something you can sit down and just DO. It's art, not baking.

Indeed.  Writing while encompassing a mechanical act, putting words on a page, is much more than that.  It doesn't proceed with a specific timetable.

Yelling at Michaelanglo to "just carve" or "just paint" would have been spectacularly unhelpful.

57 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Indeed.  Writing while encompassing a mechanical act, putting words on a page, is much more than that.  It doesn't proceed with a specific timetable.

Yelling at Michaelanglo to "just carve" or "just paint" would have been spectacularly unhelpful.

Well it doesn't make the work come faster but it makes the person complaining feel better. So it is helpful / cathartic. 

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If only all problems could be solved by "cathartic" complaining rather than actually fixing the problem prompting the complaint.

I thought we were in agreement that the underlying "problem" causing complaints in this thread is not solvable by those complaining. Do you think differently?

57 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Unjon,

It certainly allows you to rationalize your desire to kvetch about authors not completing their works of art to your specified timetable.

I don't think I've ever done that. In one post in this thread I said I agreed with @Darth Richard II. I only started to post to respond to your meta-complaining about the complainers. Which ironically has the same effect as the complaints themselves: makes you feel better but doesn't fix the underlying "problem".

Archived