Wise Man's Fear XI

Michael Seswatha Jordan

19 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Ok I take issues with two statements there.

1. No, it didn't live up to the publisher hype, because the hype was that it was ALL ALREADY WRITTEN AND WOULD COME OUT A YEAR APART.

2. Smart? How...what? In what way? That Kvothe is good at managing his funds?

and actually

3. How does it rip on the Harry Potter tropes? Seems to just be copying them.

Knothe is dumb as a bag of rocks, sometimes. Just that the writing "feels" smart for those grown up on a diet of dragonlance and eragon and other bog standard fantasy. "Hype" compared to, say, the usual balderdash (The Fifth Sorceress, for example). I meant "rip" as copy.

3 hours ago, kuenjato said:

Knothe is dumb as a bag of rocks, sometimes. Just that the writing "feels" smart for those grown up on a diet of dragonlance and eragon and other bog standard fantasy. "Hype" compared to, say, the usual balderdash (The Fifth Sorceress, for example). I meant "rip" as copy.

In other dumb as a bag of rocks related items, it's spelled Kvothe.  This is all getting very reductive, does anyone have anything left to say with regards to the actual series as a work of genre fiction, as opposed to simple author berating?  I would wager not since there is no news on a new book, but it would help the level of discourse anyhow.

2 hours ago, scortius the charioteer said:

In other dumb as a bag of rocks related items, it's spelled Kvothe.  This is all getting very reductive, does anyone have anything left to say with regards to the actual series as a work of genre fiction, as opposed to simple author berating?  I would wager not since there is no news on a new book, but it would help the level of discourse anyhow.

The misspelling is deliberate. And discussing the reasons as to the popularity of the Kingkiller series is an amusing pastime and valid conversation. 

Did we post this video yet of Rothfuss discussing his "work" on book 3?

It's very recent, to my surprise. He's quite open about how he prefers to spend time playing Fallout and actually says that most of his fans prefer to see him play Fallout as well. There's also a number of digs at fans who complained to him about the third book being so late. He seems to find it offensive to be asked about it, and also states that far too much attention is paid to a small minority of people who criticize his work effort, whereas presumable on his part, a larger majority of his fans is happy with his complete lack of either updates, or output.

A very odd man.

It's hard to listen to that whole interview, he comes across very petulant. Of course your fans want to watch you play Fallout, for Pete's sake, no one's going to watch your beard as you type. Then a five minute rant that is basically "Leave me alone! I don't wanna!"

Two years ago, I would have auto-bought the book, regardless of any behind-the-scenes. I suppose he can't be expected to put up a blog post saying "Actually guys, I really just don't care about the book as much as my fundraising and some side projects, so it's on hold until further notice." 

At this point, I roll my eyes almost every update that comes out about him. I still want to know what happens to Bast, but I don't think I'll be buying the hardback. A library reserve on it might be enough.

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

It's been mentioned I think but I don't know if it's been posted.

It's getting to the point where Poe's Law is starting to take effect. Is he trolling us? I Can't tell anymore.

No, I don't think he's trolling. I think he's so in love with being a prominent author that it's gone to his head, and he's started to lose self-awareness.

I have no issues with delays in books, per se (I've got plenty of other stuff to read). Where I get a bit uncomfortable is seeing someone publicly do the equivalent of multiple victory laps before finishing the race, if that makes any sense. By all means, bask in the glory, or admit that the book will be delayed - but not at the same time.  

17 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

No, I don't think he's trolling. I think he's so in love with being a prominent author that it's gone to his head, and he's started to lose self-awareness.

I have no issues with delays in books, per se (I've got plenty of other stuff to read). Where I get a bit uncomfortable is seeing someone publicly do the equivalent of multiple victory laps before finishing the race, if that makes any sense. By all means, bask in the glory, or admit that the book will be delayed - but not at the same time.  

That's fair.

On 18/09/2016 at 0:11 AM, Argonath Diver said:

It's hard to listen to that whole interview, he comes across very petulant. Of course your fans want to watch you play Fallout, for Pete's sake, no one's going to watch your beard as you type. Then a five minute rant that is basically "Leave me alone! I don't wanna!"

He does seem to be trying to suggest that it's his fans who are partially responsible for him not writing the book, based on some internet poll that probably the vast majority of his readers will never have heard about.

On 9/18/2016 at 1:03 AM, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

That's very well put.

A recent example that springs to mind: Lashing out at people for buying books on Amazon to save a dollar causing a book store he liked to have closed, while at the same time linking out to amazon from his website.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Sounds a bit like George Lucas syndrome, where no one around him will actually tell him what he's doing is driving away fans.

Doesn't really matter for either of them though, because they've got so many that even if a bunch get pissed and vote with their feet there are plenty more where that came from.

55 minutes ago, Ninefingers said:

Doesn't really matter for either of them though, because they've got so many that even if a bunch get pissed and vote with their feet there are plenty more where that came from.

It's funny... I just finished my re-read of WMF last night. "Re-read" is somewhat suspect, as I ended up skimming a great deal of the Fae and Adem sections. Rothfuss is comfortable in the University environment and the best part of the book is the 400-page opener. Once Kvothe leaves, the book starts to immediately decline in quality and becomes a serious slog by the time it gets to the Adem. I'm a bit surprised how he maintained popularity after such a poor, unevenly paced sequel, but I guess once they're on the hook, it's hard to wriggle off...

Archived