NFL 2015 Week 10: Down on your Luck

Mexal

They have? GB is tied currently with Minnesota. Seattle has two games to catch up with Arizona, but they start that this week. The AFC North still has Pittsburgh kicking around. That seems like kind of a big deal.

Pittsburgh isn't going to catch up to the Bengals though they may make the playoffs. They're 3.5 games back. If they do catch up, it'll be one of the most epic collapses we've seen in awhile as the Bengals will have to drop 5 of their last 8 and Pitt will have to run the table, potentially with an injured Roethlisberger.

Let me do a quick aside: imagine how INSANE I will become if the Pats go 16-0 and are de-facto #2 seeds because the Bengals have a stronger "strength of schedule" than the Pats, and that results in the Pats - at 16-0 -having just as many home playoff games as the sub-.500 Colts.  Imagine how bonkers I will become; you won't be able to stop me.  

I thought it was the other way around? I was under the impression the Patriots are the #1 seed right now due to strength of schedule and if the season ended as it stands and both teams were 16-0, Patriots would be the #1 seed? 

I can't imagine the Steelers catching Cinci.  They are down 4 in the loss column, and even if they tie, the Steelers already lost to Cinci.  

Seattle can catch Arizona, for some stupid reason I thought they had already played and that was one of Seattle's losses.  I don't see Seattle catching Arizona, but that's still a race.  

And the Vikings-Packers point is a good one, but I think the Vikings are in trouble now that Bridgewater is out, AND that does sort of feed into my point of "The Packers: Are Sure They Are Really Good?"  

I thought it was the other way around? I was under the impression the Patriots are the #1 seed right now due to strength of schedule and if the season ended as it stands and both teams were 16-0, Patriots would be the #1 seed? 

I found this out last week, but it was contingent on the season ending at that moment and just using those Strengths of Schedules.  The issue there is we don't know what teams will take off over the next 6 weeks and NOT make the playoffs (ie: the Chargers, like, every season).  It could be that right now, the Pats pulled ahead of the Bengals in SoS, but something tells me that the Bengals will have a stronger SoS when all is said and done: they played Seattle, they will play Denver; the Pats will play Denver and then we have to see if the Jets keep winning. 

Its still in the air, I guess.  

Pittsburgh isn't going to catch up to the Bengals though they may make the playoffs. They're 3.5 games back. If they do catch up, it'll be one of the most epic collapses we've seen in awhile as the Bengals will have to drop 5 of their last 8 and Pitt will have to run the table, potentially with an injured Roethlisberger.

Yeah, it's a stretch to say it's gonna happen - but it's certainly not completely decided. Didn't this happen a few years back with Pittsburgh being the team that collapsed? I seem to recall them going from like 7-1 to 8-8 or something like that. 

Honestly, it might be less of a stretch to say Oakland catches Denver. 

The rest of them seem much more dubious though. Especially the NFC North, where the Packers have lost two games in a row fairly convincingly and Minnesota keeps winning in odd ways. I think the Packers are definitely better, but they certainly don't have anything sewn up. Arizona has to play Seattle twice, and chances are pretty good that they'll drop those games. Whether Seattle can capitalize is another thing; they've been pretty meh this year and have only beaten teams with losing records: Detroit, Dallas, SF and Chicago - but they've been competitive in every game. 

I consider only the AFC North and East division races to be over. The AFC west is probably over cause it's only the Raiders and htey already lost to the Broncos in Oakland. Ditto for NFC south where the Panthers look legit, the Falcons are fading fast and the Saints and the Bucs are not very good.

As for NFC North, the Vikings have a much tougher remaining schedule compared to the Packers. So you have to favor GB. By the way, it seems Teddy Bridgewater will be cleared to play this week.

Seattle is still in the NFC West race. They have two games left vs the Cards.

And who the fuck knows about AFC south and NFC east? Regardless of whoever come out they are fish bait (unless it's the Giants playing the 18-0 Pats in the SB).

This was on the news here earlier, thought I'd post the link. I have no idea who Ray Ray Armstrong is, but this should be interesting to see if anything happens. Apparently it was caught on security cameras too.

http://www.wtae.com/news/oakland-raiders-player-under-investigation-for-incident-with-police-dog-at-heinz-field/36365310

This was on the news here earlier, thought I'd post the link. I have no idea who Ray Ray Armstrong is, but this should be interesting to see if anything happens. Apparently it was caught on security cameras too.

http://www.wtae.com/news/oakland-raiders-player-under-investigation-for-incident-with-police-dog-at-heinz-field/36365310

Heh, I already posted this, check the first page.

I can't believe how fast the Falcons are sinking after how good they looked the first few games. It's absolutely ridiculous the way they are treating Roddy White. They don't even pay attention to him out there. Ryan would rather throw to Julio Jones in triple coverage than to Roddy. His skills haven't faded that much and could definitely be useful to a team struggling the way they are.

Yeah, it's a stretch to say it's gonna happen - but it's certainly not completely decided. Didn't this happen a few years back with Pittsburgh being the team that collapsed? I seem to recall them going from like 7-1 to 8-8 or something like that. 

You are confused. I'm not saying something like this didn't happen, but it was not the Steelers. 

ETA: So I was wrong in 2009 the Steelers started off 6-2 and ended up 9-7. Maybe that's what you were thinking of. 

I consider only the AFC North and East division races to be over. The AFC west is probably over cause it's only the Raiders and htey already lost to the Broncos in Oakland. Ditto for NFC south where the Panthers look legit, the Falcons are fading fast and the Saints and the Bucs are not very good.

Ok.  The Broncos are 7-1.  Losing on the road to a guy who played out of his fucking mind (honestly Luck ended up on his back at least 8 times without a late hit being involved, he was making throws at the very last second and hitting them all day).  They are not anyone's pick to win the Superbowl but at some point it should be noted that they are 7-1.  There isn't a team in the league who wouldn't take that any year they play.  They will be at least the 3rd seed and still have the first seed in their hands (should the insane happen and they win out, which I am not betting on).  The Raiders are a good story, I think the NFL is better if they are at least a threat, but they ain't catching Denver.

Ok.  The Broncos are 7-1.  Losing on the road to a guy who played out of his fucking mind (honestly Luck ended up on his back at least 8 times without a late hit being involved, he was making throws at the very last second and hitting them all day).  They are not anyone's pick to win the Superbowl but at some point it should be noted that they are 7-1.  There isn't a team in the league who wouldn't take that any year they play.  They will be at least the 3rd seed and still have the first seed in their hands (should the insane happen and they win out, which I am not betting on).  The Raiders are a good story, I think the NFL is better if they are at least a threat, but they ain't catching Denver.

Well, I did say that I consider the race to be almost over. Not as clear cut as NE or Bengals (they are way ahead and the Steelers have major injury problem). The Broncos do have two games against NE and Cinci. And Manning's play (it kills me to say this) is nowhere near the level of Dalton circa 2015, let alone Tom Brady's. So yes the Broncos are overwhelming favorites to win AFC West and it will take a monumental collapse (due to multiple injuries) for them to lose out to the Raiders. But the Raiders have a better chance of winning the division(however small that is) compared to the Steelers and the Jets (or Bills). 

Fair enough Trickster.  But I wouldn't let one bad game sour thoughts about how good Denver's D is.  I was in awe of the throws Luck was making less than a second before (and often as) he was throwing.  I think Denver is legitimately the third best team in the league (Carolina fans can cuss at me but I would like to see them in a shootout first).

I wish it were so.

Y'know, I do feel absurdly responsible. But there are warring parts of my soul right now. On the one hand, a total collapse at this point would lead to Grigson's firing and even absolve Luck of some of the blame.

On the other hand, if Matt Hasselbeck were to play well and lock up the AFC South in time for Luck to return and the Colts to win the superbowl (I've been drinking), not only would my Colts win the superbowl, but one of my favorite players would get a ring on his finger and the right to say he had a big part in earning it.

Solid post.

New York Attorney General declares Draft Kings and Fan Duel to be Illegal Gambling

http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id/14100780/new-york-attorney-general-declares-daily-fantasy-sports-gambling

That's a really nice Daily Fantasy Football Site you have there. Be a shame if something happened to it. 

New York Attorney General declares Draft Kings and Fan Duel to be Illegal Gambling

http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id/14100780/new-york-attorney-general-declares-daily-fantasy-sports-gambling

That's a really nice Daily Fantasy Football Site you have there. Be a shame if something happened to it. 

If it spares us from those fucking commercials, I'm on the side of the lawman on this one.

Yeah, the AFC West is a done deal.  The Raiders are 3 back in the loss column, but are actually 4 back because they lost head-to-head with Denver @Oakland.  Yeah, if Manning's annual late-season struggles continue, MAYBE the game in Denver will be competitive, but more likely the Broncos D pulls it out.  I don't see Denver playing .500 ball nor the Raiders playing .750 ball to pull the teams closer or make that division competitive.  

Same with the AFC North- the Steelers are riddled with injuries, already lost to the Bengals once and it would require the Bengals to, basically, implode and I don't envision that based upon the evidence so far.  

The NFC North and West were closer than I thought so I agree those are still races.  The Pack have yet to play the Vikings; the Seahawks and Cards meet for the first time this week.  There are some legit questions in both leading teams.  So those races are still in doubt.  

Archived