NFL 2015 Week 11: the dawn of the Age of Osweiler

DanteGabriel

Can't remember the last time I saw Peko get in the face of a referee. Not his style. He's about the calmest, most genuine person on the team. It's why he still plays, more so than his actual ability.

Great, a guy next to him flinches (before the Cardinals guy) yet no one else does on the line does (nor anyone else on Cardinals). And yes, there was a ref 7 yards behind (refs have been 5 feet from a call before and missed it) in a stadium with players in front of him yelling stuff and getting set. Maybe Peko's voice caused him to think he heard something plus the Cardinals pointing (we've never seen the other team point on a false start before). Maybe he actually did it even though in the 12 years I've been watching the Bengals, I've never seen it called on them (Peko has been here since 2006 and we've been in that situation more than once). I don't know. But out of all the calls you could call indisputable, I'm totally missing that.

Either way, it doesn't matter. He would have made the kick anyway. I'm more annoyed with calls like this going completely unnoticed while calls like this are called. Calls that can majorly affect the game (one stalls a drive, the other takes away 50+ yards of field position).

Also - did the new forums basically chase away all the redskin fans? Are Jaime and Maith now gone? That'll suck. 

Nice to feel wanted, but I posted less than an hour ago...

Although I was in China for the past two weeks, and didn't have to endure the misery of the Pats game or the glory of the Saints beatdown. 

Can't remember the last time I saw Peko get in the face of a referee. Not his style. He's about the calmest, most genuine person on the team. It's why he still plays, more so than his actual ability.

Great, a guy next to him flinches (before the Cardinals guy) yet no one else does on the line does (nor anyone else on Cardinals). And yes, there was a ref 7 yards behind (refs have been 5 feet from a call before and missed it) in a stadium with players in front of him yelling stuff and getting set. Maybe Peko's voice caused him to think he heard something plus the Cardinals pointing (we've never seen the other team point on a false start before). Maybe he actually did it even though in the 12 years I've been watching the Bengals, I've never seen it called on them (Peko has been here since 2006 and we've been in that situation more than once). I don't know. But out of all the calls you could call indisputable, I'm totally missing that.

Either way, it doesn't matter. He would have made the kick anyway. I'm more annoyed with calls like this going completely unnoticed while calls like this are called. Calls that can majorly affect the game (one stalls a drive, the other takes away 50+ yards of field position).

Fair enough, I shouldn't have called it indisputable. I stand by, however, that I don't think it was even in the top 5 of bad/missed calls in that game even if you think Peko didn't do it. What I was trying to impress in my original post without sounding too inflammatory was that I don't like seeing Lewis bitch about a call that seemed (to me) open and shut after a loss. The other obvious fouls you pointed out were far more questionable to me, and I felt like it's a bad look to blame the call that made a fieldgoal the guy was gonna make anyways easier when the only reason he got to attempt it was because of bad clock management.

Like I said, I want the Bengals to come out strong next week because they're our only hope in the AFC. I also like Lewis and want to see him get that superbowl and walk away into the sunset.

Fair enough, I shouldn't have called it indisputable. I stand by, however, that I don't think it was even in the top 5 of bad/missed calls in that game even if you think Peko didn't do it. What I was trying to impress in my original post without sounding too inflammatory was that I don't like seeing Lewis bitch about a call that seemed (to me) open and shut after a loss. The other obvious fouls you pointed out were far more questionable to me, and I felt like it's a bad look to blame the call that made a fieldgoal the guy was gonna make anyways easier when the only reason he got to attempt it was because of bad clock management.

Like I said, I want the Bengals to come out strong next week because they're our only hope in the AFC. I also like Lewis and want to see him get that superbowl and walk away into the sunset.

Well, the point is if the call is made, there is a 10s run off and we go to overtime. That's why Lewis is unhappy. In his mind, it cost his team a shot at winning the game in overtime. 

No. You don't have all things reviewed - you have all things reviewable. You still have the maximum of two challenges per team with a third if they get it right. If you're really concerned make it so that penalties aren't reviewable in the final two minutes. 

*Shakes fist at quote glitch*

I get that, and it might not be that big a difference, but I think you can safely say all 4 challenges will be used in each game.

Also, are you saying only the refs can review and can they review any call in the final two minutes or never review?

Edit:

I quess it didn't glitch

Well, the point is if the call is made, there is a 10s run off and we go to overtime. That's why Lewis is unhappy. In his mind, it cost his team a shot at winning the game in overtime. 

That's another reason I don't hesitate to believe Peko was trying to force a false start, by the way. I'm sure he knew that, and the Cardinals had basically no reason to attempt the offsides while we can clearly see/hear Carson's not saying anything. Guys started flinching and we can reasonably reach the conclusion that the Cardinals weren't attempting cadence while the Bengals had every reason to try and draw a false start.

I'm sure it looks very different from the side of the Bengals fan.

Anyways, the point is that we're agreeing about everything but that one call that we see very differently. There were a bunch of other things to be upset about from the refs and those got no attention, and Lewis has no one to blame but himself/his team that the Cardinals even got that minute. In looking to this team to beat the Patriots in NE, I'd like to see him take responsibility for that and learn from it. I'd be fine with him pointing out that there were a number of missed calls that altered the flow of the game against his team, but singling out that one thing smacks of Rex Ryan to me. And that's not the type of coach who I have confidence in. Which again, is because I like Marvin Lewis and would like to see his team succeed.

*Shakes fist at quote glitch*

I get that, and it might not be that big a difference, but I think you can safely say all 4 challenges will be used in each game.

Also, are you saying only the refs can review and can they review any call in the final two minutes or never review?

I think that using all 4 challenges in a game won't slow things down crazily. And I'm saying that if it's concerning, you can have it so that the refs can't review penalties in the final two minutes of a game. 

I think that using all 4 challenges in a game won't slow things down crazily. And I'm saying that if it's concerning, you can have it so that the refs can't review penalties in the final two minutes of a game. 

Wouldn't that be the time you'd want it reviewed the most though?

Wouldn't that be the time you'd want it reviewed the most though?

Maybe. There aren't a whole lot of penalties called in the last two minutes most of the time. My guess is that it's better to just make everything reviewable period. 

Maybe. There aren't a whole lot of penalties called in the last two minutes most of the time. My guess is that it's better to just make everything reviewable period. 

My concern with making penalties reviewable is that everything's subjective, and that's annoying because we want consistency. But how subjective do you get when reviewing for a penalty? On the hail-mary when refs traditionally let the play go unless something egregious happens, it's now on film that the defender had his hand on the receiver's shoulder downfield. By the letter of the law that can be pass interference.

On 4th-and-29 with less than a minute to play Tom Brady runs directly towards the defensive end and smashes his helmet against the other player's helmet as he throws a pass to Blount who's standing 1 yard downfield. Under review, that's contact to the head and neck area of the quarterback...

Kansas City pulls off a 45 lateral last-second miracle from their own 1 yard line to make it to the Superbowl, but under review Kelce's hand brushed against the facemask of a defender as he was blocking...

Where does common sense leniency come into effect? Where are the safeguards to prevent a brilliantly coached team like the Patriots from manufacturing a penalty (like that second paragraph) when they need one to alter a game?

I love the idea of making penalties reviewable, but how will it work? If only penalties called are reviewable then there's not as much room for blatant manipulation of the rules, but Deon Buchannon still doesn't get called for a hit to the head of a defenseless receiver. Where's the middle-ground?

So, the next 7 days are going to decide the AFC. 

I’m not exaggerating.  If the Pats win tonight and then next week at Denver (the toughest game of the season by far) I think the Pats are the AFC Champs and can practically stamp their ticket to California. 

If the Pats win tonight they are two games up on the Bengals and Broncos with no other team in the discussion.  The Bengals … kinda Bengaled themselves last night.  On the road, they clawed their way back into the game; had Andy Dalton be the QB many always knew he would be; their receivers and running game worked great… and then the team shat the bed, once again, in a prime-time game on the road.  Because of course they did. 

The absolute height of the … Bengaling … if the Bengals came when the Bengals defense- not content with giving up nearly 70 yards of field in, like, 55 seconds, decided to get an “un-sportsman –like conduct” penalty when a Bengals D-lineman tried to mimic defensive call and snap counts.  So that turned a 45 yard FG into a 30 yard chip shot. 

Greta job, assholes. 

But somehow- SOMEHOW- the Benagls made it worse.  When asked after the game, Marv Lewis - the Peyton Manning of head coaches during the regular season- said, miraculously, that Domata Peko was … alerting the team to the run… that’s right, the defender was claiming that the Bengals… with like 7 seconds left on the clock and NO TIME OUTS … were calling a RUNNING PLAY! 

I don’t know what’s worse: that Marv Lewis said such a stupid lie or that he thought people would believe him. 

So, the Bengals have lost 2 in a row, and basically need the Pats to lose games to bad teams to catch them.  Yeah, they still have to play the Broncos in a few weeks, but they basically have to win-out and the Pats have to lose games … like tonight against the Bills.

Now, this brings us to the Broncos who turned themselves from a  contender into an absolute joke by sitting HoFamer Peyton Manning and starting utter unknown, Brock Osweiler… no… wait THE EXACT OPPOSITE!   See, The Broncos were riding a two-game losing streak when they benched Peyton Manning for sucking out loud  “injuries took their toll” on Manning… and certainly not the fact that he was possibly the worst QB in the NFL… statistically speaking…

Anyhoo, Manning was playing like a turd inflated with a Hippo’s farts when he suddenly came down with …. Injuries taking their toll.  I mean, just a few weeks before, Manning was having a good laugh telling the media “I didn’t want to say I told you so…”  That fucking asshole. 

I mean, let me give you some idea of how fucking terrible Peyton Manning was… He didn’t play last week and the Broncos had their bye-week in October … he still leads the NFL in interceptions… BY FIVE!  

So they brought in Brock who somehow, miraculously, didn’t throw a pick.  And put SEVENTEEN WHOLE POINTS on the board!  Peyton Manning was heard mumbling under his breath “No picks and 17 points?  Roids… “

No, actually, Manning couldn’t be heard saying that.  Why?  Because Manning is throwing a temper tantrum after definitely and clearly getting benched.  So, that great team-player isn’t going to team meetings; he isn’t talking to Brock and he didn’t make the trip to Minn.  Why?  Because he’s such a team player THAT’S WHY!! 

And just today, a story was released that Manning wants to play next season.  Because MOVE OVER Unitas in a Chargers uniform or Namath in a Rams uni; now we will have Manning in a TEXANS uni!  THE SHERIFF!  IN A TEXANS UNIFORM! 

The Broncos then announced that Brock would be the starter against the Pats.  Because the Broncos know what the fuck is going on even if Manning doesn’t. 

Where was I?  Oh, … ah… oh, that’s right, there is no way Brock Osweiler is beating the Pats.  Like ever. 

So, if the Pats win these two games, they will be 11-0 and their next closest rivals will be 9-2 and 8-3.  Yeah, stick a fork in the AFC by then.  The remaining Pats opponents after Denver are fucking atrocious. 

Phily- who gave up 5 TDs to Jamis Winston, which is amazing because last week somebody on these boards tried to argue that Winston was having a worse season than Manning- is 4-6;

Houston is at 5-5, which is practically a playoff contender … wait, sadly THEY ARE A LEGIT PLAYOFF CONTENDER!  Why?  Because the NFL is shitty right now. 

Tennessee is 2-8, losing 7 of their last 8.  I can’t believe there are two worse teams than the Titans, but fuck, there they are. 

Jets: 5-5.  Seriously, they are going to the playoffs.  I can’t believe this is a legit NFL team. 

Dolphins: 4-6.  I can’t believe they won 4. 

The Pats last 5 opponents have a combined record of 20-30.  Three of those teams have legit shots of going to the playoffs.  I shit-you-not. 

This is pathetic. 

Look, bottom line is that if the Pats win 2 games in the next 6 days, they are hosting the AFC Championship game and the only team I really fear in that game would be the Steelers.  If by then the Pats get healthy and Jamie Collins recovers from his ongoing ordeal against Captain Trips, I like them to go back to the big game. 

If people stopped inventing bullshit excuses for him and he stopped being a fucking toolbag, maybe LoveRock wouldn't need to write these posts.

Never change, you're beautiful to me.

Name a QB besides Mariota that isn't a tool bag though? They pretty much all are.

Rock's posts strike such a chord with you because you are secretly a Pats fan. The whole jinx thing was really just a prank to see how the board would react to your secret Pats fandom. Tricky Pony. 

Name a QB besides Mariota that isn't a tool bag though? They pretty much all are.

Rock's posts strike such a chord with you because you are secretly a Pats fan. The whole jinx thing was really just a prank to see how the board would react to your secret Pats fandom. Tricky Pony. 

I've got a stupid boyfriend who was just eating a raw rotisserie chicken to deal with. Do. Not. Make. Me. De. Stroy. You. <_<

There's a difference between toolbags and assholes. When you put a wrench in a toolbag, nobody bats an eye. :P Eh, oh! But really, most QB's are either blatant assholes or putting on a show. Manning crossed over into toolbag territory the moment he had his team mates practice a celebration of his record breaking INT.

I've got a stupid boyfriend who was just eating a raw rotisserie chicken to deal with. Do. Not. Make. Me. De. Stroy. You. <_<

There's a difference between toolbags and assholes. When you put a wrench in a toolbag, nobody bats an eye. :P Eh, oh! But really, most QB's are either blatant assholes or putting on a show. Manning crossed over into toolbag territory the moment he had his team mates practice a celebration of his record breaking INT.

Please forgive me oh powerful Pony Queen. 

Archived