NFL 2015 Week 12: Karma Is Real, Jerry Jones

Tywin et al.

Have the Pats even had that many injuries on defense?  Collins doesn't count, he was sick.  Hightower got hurt this week, but that's not exactly a trend.  The Patriots defense has been really good, and the formula this year has been Brady protects the ball + solid defense.  That formula works.  Brady and Belichick can't put up 30 points every week with a bunch of replacement guys on offense, but thanks to the defense, most weeks they don't have to. 

Missing 3 games is missing three games.  Injury or not.  Yeah, if it turns out Collins got the Gout for eating too much liver pate, sure, but that was pretty bad for him to do.  Hightower is up in the air; losing both those guys is a bad combo.

Now, good news: the injuries have been sparse on D.  The injuries are contained, largely, to one side of the ball.  And its the one with Brady so I can see that.  But the D lost its #1 and #2 players.  Yeah, Collins has been great and Butler is required, but Collins and especially Hightower are the keys to that D.  And when you see how the Broncos won- by running the ball - you can see how impact losing those two LBs was.  

And they are moving ... fucking fast.  And against one another.  Constantly.

So, to have your boss getting ON NATIONAL TV ... and he's pointing out the mistakes.  Now, don't get me wrong, because so many teams are so spectacularly close, those mistakes matter wayyyyy too much.  But I cannot imagine feeling good because I made ONE mistake in 6 weeks and then my boss goes on TV and the only time he talks about ANYTHING is to say "Rockroi made a mistake."  

It does move at incredible speed, and you have to allow for human error, but some of this shit is inexcusable. In the Niners/Cards game this week, there was like a 5 minute delay while the refs tried to figure out WHAT FUCKING DOWN IT WAS. I knew what down it was. Both sidelines knew what down it was. That sort of shit is just sheer incompetence.

I agree that this shit really has to fall on the boss at this point. Blandino should be fired. You can't find competent officials, make sure rules are well written and easy to interpret for these crews (I'm looking at you, Catch/Not a catch), and amend the replay rules so that it is more useful? Then you need to step aside for someone who can.

Anyways.

I'd like to welcome you all to our new segment of the show, it's called: FUCK IT, I'M GOING DEEP!

The Bears are gonna make the playoffs. That's right, I said it. And you can take it up to the bank. After a detailed analysis of the schedules (it took 3 whole minutes), I think it's extremely possible that they win out from here.

49'ers

Washingtons

@ Vikings

@ Bucs

Lions

The Bears are a mediocre team at best, but after obliterating the Rams then taking Denver to a failed 2-point attempt and pulling off a win @ Green Bay... why shouldn't they be favored to win all of those games except Vikings? And they should have beaten Minnesota earlier this year if it weren't for a dropped 3rd down conversion and the defense absolutely collapsing in the final 2 minutes. If Alshon Jeffery and Matt Forte can find five weeks' worth of health in their bodies, I think the Bears' sneaky-mediocre defense can hang with these anemic offenses and Jay's continued 'eh, not too bad' play would be enough to get Da' Bares into a #6 seed!!!

You're out of your pony lovin mind, Jace.

Missing 3 games is missing three games.  Injury or not.  Yeah, if it turns out Collins got the Gout for eating too much liver pate, sure, but that was pretty bad for him to do.  Hightower is up in the air; losing both those guys is a bad combo.

Now, good news: the injuries have been sparse on D.  The injuries are contained, largely, to one side of the ball.  And its the one with Brady so I can see that.  But the D lost its #1 and #2 players.  Yeah, Collins has been great and Butler is required, but Collins and especially Hightower are the keys to that D.  And when you see how the Broncos won- by running the ball - you can see how impact losing those two LBs was.

Sure, injuries suck.  But if your injuries are more or less limited to the offensive side of the ball, and Brady has been healthy all year, then it is a tough sell for non-Pats fans that injuries have been particularly bad for you guys.  Yes, your O line and offensive skill positions have been hit hard, but that's football, injuries always happen and usually they are centered on one or two areas.  Of the eleven starters going into the year on defense in Washinton, only two guys (DEs Baker and Hatcher) have been available all year (and even they are both on the injury report as playing hurt). 

And for the record, I don't think the Redskins have been unlucky in injuries.  We're lucky that more of those injuries were not-season ending (of the starters, only five have been lost for the year - LG Lavauo, TE Paul, OLB Galette, SS Inhenacho, CB Culliver).  It's ridiculous that isn't a bad year, but it really isn't, it feels pretty average. 

I am surprised that Logan Ryan and Malcolm Butler haven't completely embarrassed themselves. I suppose I should be greatful for that, because I expected another year of cornerbacks who can't cover. That may be due to the improved defensive line and linebackers, however.

I'm a bears fan and I don't remotely think they make the playoffs. They lost to the Osweiler-led Broncos at home, for crying out loud! 

And Rock, saying that the season is over because your cap is now losing in the AFC championship is entitlement. It's pretty much just as entitled as it is when you said that there was no way that the Pats were going to lose to the Osweiler-led Broncos. 

Also, teams who have been unlucky in injuries: San Diego (basically their entire offensive line, WRs, RBs and possibly their coach). Ravens (QB, RB, WR, and a few others). Bears (QB, RB, WRs, TE, much of their line). Or Indy (QB, RB, some linemen, WRs at times). Really, unless you lose everyone at one position at once or you lose your QB, it's not really that bad. Especially if you're going to get those player back. 

I'm a bears fan and I don't remotely think they make the playoffs. They lost to the Osweiler-led Broncos at home, for crying out loud! 

And Rock, saying that the season is over because your cap is now losing in the AFC championship is entitlement. It's pretty much just as entitled as it is when you said that there was no way that the Pats were going to lose to the Osweiler-led Broncos. 

Spiderman%20Nips_zpscdvc1b56.jpg

Yep. I'd be ecstatic to see the Bengals reach the AFC championship game.

Well to be fair your team has had you in purgatory for a long time. But I think they will make it this year. There are 4 teams in the AFC that look like they have a fair shot (Cincy, NE, Denver and Pittsburgh). And all things considered, Cincy may be in the best position. NE is running out of bodies to put on the field. Denver has a QB problem. Pittsburgh is too boom or bust to be a safe bet.

Well to be fair your team has had you in purgatory for a long time. But I think they will make it this year. There are 4 teams in the AFC that look like they have a fair shot (Cincy, NE, Denver and Pittsburgh). And all things considered, Cincy may be in the best position. NE is running out of bodies to put on the field. Denver has a QB problem. Pittsburgh is too boom or bust to be a safe bet.

Does Denver have a QB problem?  Cause with that defense all the kid has to do is not suck. He's off to a good start.

Bengals are in a good position but it's hard to trust that they'll show up on that given day, especially when everyone is watching. I think they could make the SB if everything breaks right and they play well but I wouldn't bet on it.

Does Denver have a QB problem?  Cause with that defense all the kid has to do is not suck. He's off to a good start.

Yeah, I wouldn't say they have a problem, they are just more questionable at that position than any of the other main players. (Pats, Panthers, Bengals, and Cards) We have such a small sample size up to this point that it's hard to say how good or bad he might be. 

Yeah, I wouldn't say they have a problem, they are just more questionable at that position than any of the other main players. (Pats, Panthers, Bengals, and Cards) We have such a small sample size up to this point that it's hard to say how good or bad he might be. 

Agreed. Osweiler played well at times last night but we have no idea how he'll do when teams have 3-4 games worth of tape on him.

So it looks like Ben Roethlisberger suffered a concussion at the end the end of the game, on the personal foul by Bennent. It also looks like the new league procedure failed to some extent, and he played a whole series before being pulled. It was pretty obvious from home. Wonder how the league will explain it away.  

Wanted to get back to this. How would you tell that Ben is concussed? Did he start apologizing and regretting that time he raped a woman or something?

Wanted to get back to this. How would you tell that Ben is concussed? Did he start apologizing and regretting that time he raped a woman or something?

Well in all fairness, it really should have set off some alarm bells when he demanded a can of spinach and asked where his best "goyl" Olive was at...

Rothlisberger%20Popeye_zps7ktvzbcb.png

And this amuses me.

From the game of inches file: Tampa's Chris Conte comes right up the middle on a field goal attempt and somehow misses blocking the kick by millimeters. Instead he roughs the holder. Dick Stockton, broadcasting the game says "that's the first time I've seen that since Notre Dame-Syracuse in 1963. I'm not kidding." The flag gives Indy a first down inside the Bucs' 10, with a shot at going up two scores.

So, you just remember everything I write.  Your obsession with me is pretty endearing.  

Seriously.  Touch my nips, too.  

Again, its not entitlement; its reasonable expectations, which I explained and I know you know that because you read everything I write.  

But again, explain to me how you are a Seattle Bears fan. And while you are at it, explain to me how you love their head coach, Chip Kelly?  (Sorry, no longer applicable because we now know Kelly is a horrible, horrible head coach).   

But in all ... seriousness... if the Pats lose Gronk on top of all the other injuries etc its a pretty dire situation.  With no Gronk and Edleman out until the playoffs you basically have no top-tier target on offense.  Add in no running game since the loss of Lewis (who is NOT coming back) and its fucking awful.  Yeah, the cap becomes the AFC Championship game which is great, but not the ceiling one would "anticipate."

The other teams you mentioned all got hit with some injuries but you were clearly reaching.  Yeah, the Chargers had major problems; and I think injuries cost the Ravens their season several times over this season. Bears?  Their QB is playing and I think he missed one game?  WRs have been spotty but Forte is back.  Not really much of an issue.  Indy - losing their QB has been the best thing to happen to that team and their WRs have been relatively fine.  

Now, if you took the best offensive weapon off each one of those teams, I'm not sure they do well at all.  Pats are just a great team so they can absorb more of the punishment and still play well.

All things considered, the Pats showed a lot Sunday- on the road, short week, against a 1st place team in shitty weather, after losing their best Defensive player and best offensive weapon.  They entered the game without their #2 D player and without their #1 or #2 WR.  That was a big statement especially on that last regulation drive. 

However, if we take the long view I don't think that is sustainable in the playoffs etc basically because you have great teams there.  Again, expectation, not entitlement. 

But now that it looks like Gronk should be back after the Eagles game I feel better about all this.  

Archived