Most second powerful house in each kingdom

purple-eyes

Wondering who are the no 2 in each kingdom. 

Not sure about some. 

Dorne: yronwood.

north: bolton.

reach: hightower

riverland: Frey? Blackwood?

wetland:?

vale: Royce 

stormland: dondorian? 

Westerlands: I would say that since there are so many Lannisters that they are the second most powerful there as well, especially since Tywin exterminated house Reyne all those years ago. The rest are probably right with maybe the only exception being house Swann of the Stormlands.

Westerlands: I would say that since there are so many Lannisters that they are the second most powerful there as well, especially since Tywin exterminated house Reyne all those years ago. The rest are probably right with maybe the only exception being house Swann of the Stormlands.

oh, I forgot swann. Thanks. They are quite strong, it seems. 

Westerlands, maybe malbrand? 

Or the one in golden tooth? They seem to be in a critical location. 

Lannister is still part of lannister, so i guess I will exclude them. 

North: Manderly now that the Boltons are in power. They are said to command more heavy horses than the rest of the Northerners can raise

Riverlands: Frey-They rule over bridge and are wealthy, if not savy and ruthless. 

Vale: Royce, They seem to be honorable and very powerful

Westerland: Used to be the Reynes, but with Tywin controlling and centralizing his authority, probably the Marbrand or Crakehall. 

Reach: Definetely the Hightowers. Samwells says that they can raise three times what the other Tyrell bannerman can raise

Dorne: Yronwood. They are treacherous and have a fickle nature. They've always been a thorn in the Martells

Stormlands: I feel like this is the region we dont get enough intel on, Either the Carons or Swann either take the cake. 

Iron Islands: Harlaw, they rule the most populous island. 

Bolton

Harlaw

Frey

Rhoyce

Swann

Yronwood

Hightower

Swyft? 

Swyft isnt the msot powerful, they are a knightly house and the only reason why they are powerful is because of their relation to the main branch of the Lannisters. 

Answering this as things stand at the end of Dance. If you ask this question as of Game you'd get different results of course.

Dorne: Yronwood- This is pretty much stated

North: Manderly- Like it or not the Starks are not a power, and the Boltons are in charge. It looks like the Manderlys have been accumulating strength for awhile now though.

Reach: Redwyne- Seriously the greatest naval power in the Seven Kingdoms after the Ironborne.

Riverlands: Assuming the Freys are the de facto overlords and Baelish is a paper liege lord, I'd have to give the honor to House Mallister. They survived the war mostly in tact, and aren't loaning their forces to the Frey/Lannister army.

Westerlands: House Lannister of Lannisport- By design Tywin kept a rival to his house from emerging after the Reynes.

Vale: House Baelish- While the Valelords are still loyal to Robert Arryn, it's Petyr Baelish who is calling the shots.

Stormlands: House Connington- I think Jon's going to be calling the shots in the Stormlands now that the Golden Company has landed.

By the way, is storm land the smallest kingdom among seven? 

From the map, it looks like so. 

Among the Seven Kingdoms, which is the Kingdom of the North, the Kingdom of Mountain and Vale, the Kingdom of the Isles and Rivers, the Kingdom of the Rock, the Kingdom of the Reach, the Kingdom of the Storm, and Dorne, then yes the Stormlands is the smallest. If you mean is it the smallest out of the nine distinct regions, then the Iron Islands are the smallest.

To answer the topic question, I'm assuming you mean at the beginning of GoT according to your answers.

I'll answers for each region.

North - Manderly all the way. The Boltons can't compare IMO.

Riverlands - Frey

Reach - Hightower with the Arbor not too far behind

Westerlands - The second to House Lannister of Casterly Rock is House Lannister of Lannisport. Kinda depressing when you think about it. After that maybe House Crakehall, as I doubt Tywin would have let Jaime squire for someone from a weak house.

Iron Islands - Harlaw

Vale - Baelish, considering Little Finger was the Master of Coin and on the King's Council, despite the fact that he was a minor lord with little land.

Crownlands - second to House Baratheon of King's Landing is House Baratheon of Dragonstone, since Stannis is Master of Ships, on the King's Council, and the King's blood. I would say House Rykker is pretty strong as well, since they rule over Duskendale.

Dorne - Yronwood

Stormlands - The hardest one, but for some reason I'm wanting to say Tarth or Estermont.

For the Riverlands, I'd actually say that you could divide the Riverlands into four prominent factions by cardinal direction, led by one house as leader.

Before Robert's Rebellion, I'd actually say that these four houses who were the most powerful ones were as follows:

West - Tully
East - Darry
South - Whent
North - Frey

Prior to Robert's Rebellion, House Frey was the weakest of the four important houses of the Riverlands IMO. It makes sense given that they're in the Northern part bordering the Neck and having Seaguard (more of a fortress than a port of importance), and made their money off of tolls. They're so low on the totem pole, Hoster doesn't even try to reach out to the Freys for marriage alliances--considering it beneath him even before Walder pulled his stunt on the Trident.

House Tully meanwhile has relations prior to Robert's Rebellion with House Darry and Whent. Hoster marries House Whent, and his brother, the Blackfish, squired with old Lord Darry.

Robert's Rebellion decimated House Whent so that it was left down to only old Lady Shella, greatly weakening them. House Darry has its lands greatly reduced after Robert's Rebellion as Hoster was rather harsh towards his rebellious lords (he also burned House Goodbrook's lands and took young Lord Goodbrook to be raised at Riverrun with Edmure), and essentially was a less harsh version of Tywin from what I can tell we know of his actions. Hoster may not have gone so far as to eradicate entire houses root and stem, but he did severely punish them and impoverish them.

With House Darry and House Whent gone from our list of powerful Riverlands lords, that left House Frey to easily claim the #2 position post Robert's Rebellion.

Yronwood

Hightower

Bolton

Royce

Harlaw

Swann, maybe

Tully or Bracken

In the West the 2. and 3. most powerfull houses have been annihilated, so I'd say Crakehall, Marbrand, Lefford or Farman.

Crakehall women are all sluts. The Others take their House.

North- Manderly's for numbers I think, but the Boltons are very dominant too.

Vale- Royce. They seem to have the greatest military, political and economic dominance amongst the Vales top brass.

Riverlands- eh I'm gonna say the Freys as far as we know. Now they're the strongest house in the Riverlands, partially on Lannister support. They raised 4000 for Robb.

West- tough. Tywin wipes out the #2 house, leaving a hole that no one has filled since. Maybe Marbrand, Crakehall or Lefford?

Reach- Hightower, moving on.

Iron Islands- you can tell Harlaw is a big house by how Rodrik the Reader treated Euron, even when Euron was surrounded by his cronies. They have some serious power, controlling the best Iron Island.

Dorne- Yronwood. They kinda used to be #1 in Dorne, and have a strong position.

Stormlands- tricky. I'm going with a Marcher Lord. They control a vital position and as such probably have greater strength by necessity. I'll guess Swann.

Wondering who are the no 2 in each kingdom. 

Not sure about some. 

Dorne: yronwood.

north: bolton.

reach: hightower

riverland: Frey? Blackwood?

wetland:?

vale: Royce 

stormland: dondorian? 

Yronwood, Manderly, Hightower, Frey, Lorch, Royce, Fossoway, Harlaw

The Iron Islands and the Riverlands are two regions but are considered a single kingdom. The Kingdom of the Isles and Rivers.

The distinction is actually really vague, and it's not easily distinguishable which are the actual "kingdoms" that the Seven Kingdoms refers to. Did it count Dorne? Dorne's not a Kingdom, and was never conquered by Aegon the Conqueror (which still called himself King of the Seven Kingdoms if I recall correctly). The Riverlands very much used to be a Kingdom though not at the time of the Conquest, but Aegon didn't even conquer the Iron Isles and Riverlands at the same time. Not to mention nobody considers the Riverlands to be connected to the Iron Isles these days anymore at all.

For the Riverlands, I'd actually say that you could divide the Riverlands into four prominent factions by cardinal direction, led by one house as leader.

Before Robert's Rebellion, I'd actually say that these four houses who were the most powerful ones were as follows:

West - Tully
East - Darry
South - Whent
North - Frey

Prior to Robert's Rebellion, House Frey was the weakest of the four important houses of the Riverlands IMO. It makes sense given that they're in the Northern part bordering the Neck and having Seaguard (more of a fortress than a port of importance), and made their money off of tolls. They're so low on the totem pole, Hoster doesn't even try to reach out to the Freys for marriage alliances--considering it beneath him even before Walder pulled his stunt on the Trident.

House Tully meanwhile has relations prior to Robert's Rebellion with House Darry and Whent. Hoster marries House Whent, and his brother, the Blackfish, squired with old Lord Darry.

Robert's Rebellion decimated House Whent so that it was left down to only old Lady Shella, greatly weakening them. House Darry has its lands greatly reduced after Robert's Rebellion as Hoster was rather harsh towards his rebellious lords (he also burned House Goodbrook's lands and took young Lord Goodbrook to be raised at Riverrun with Edmure), and essentially was a less harsh version of Tywin from what I can tell we know of his actions. Hoster may not have gone so far as to eradicate entire houses root and stem, but he did severely punish them and impoverish them.

With House Darry and House Whent gone from our list of powerful Riverlands lords, that left House Frey to easily claim the #2 position post Robert's Rebellion.

How do you come to the conclusion that Whent or Darry are more powerful than Blackwood or Bracken?

Archived