Dunk and Egg

Stannis th3 Mannis

Well, my pet theory is that Dunk and Daella eventually marry, and a daughter from that union is Brienne's paternal grandmother. How this happens is difficult to say, but it would be great fun to see how Dunk ends up with the very sister Egg is now betrothed to. Even more ironic if it would turn out that Dunk and Betha Blackwood have a thing for each other before Betha recognizes Egg...

I love all three of the Dunk and Egg stories.  GRRM has an obvious affection for these two characters and the stories are presented in a lighter and more fun manner that the main ASOIAF books are, even though there are some brutal and bloody events and imagery here and there.  These stories also do a great job of conveying quite a bit of info about Targaryan history in a way that I found made for more enjoyable reading than The Princess and the Queen or the Rogue Prince. 

So sad that Dunk and Egg met their untimely demise.

Makes me very sad.

They didn't die in their old age in their sleep, so there is still lots for George to write about with Egg growing to adulthood and being chosen by a Grand Council to become an unlikely king, not to mention the events that lead Dunk to becoming a member of the Kingsguard and ultimately the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.  We also know that they travel to the Wall together, and that Egg raises a bunch of children into adulthood during his reign, so I hope GRRM writes lots more of these Novellas after he finishes the main series.  I especially  hope that he writes the one about the events at Summerhall, 

I like Egg but I would totally read a book about Aerion instead. Imagine a book in which Aerion, Daeron, Aemon and Egg gather in KL. "Christmas with the Targaryens".

:lmao: :cheers: :bowdown: Talk about dysfunctional family gatherings! To be a fly on that wall. :)

Well, my pet theory is that Dunk and Daella eventually marry, and a daughter from that union is Brienne's paternal grandmother. How this happens is difficult to say, but it would be great fun to see how Dunk ends up with the very sister Egg is now betrothed to.

I think it would be fun if Dunk marries a Tarth girl and Egg's sister a Tarth boy and then their offspring marry to produce Brienne's dad (yep, cousin marriage)

Even more ironic if it would turn out that Dunk and Betha Blackwood have a thing for each other before Betha recognizes Egg...

idk, it seems Betha would be of Egg's age when we meet her and if they meet in an early novel I doubt Dunk would be interested. Betha having a crush on him - possible. 

I'm a bit wary of Egg's and Betha's first meeting, hope it isn't just an annoying "first they hate each other and she is a spirited girl" precocious romance or at least it has a twist.

idk, it seems Betha would be of Egg's age when we meet her and if they meet in an early novel I doubt Dunk would be interested. Betha having a crush on him - possible. 

I'm a bit wary of Egg's and Betha's first meeting, hope it isn't just an annoying "first they hate each other and she is a spirited girl" precocious romance or at least it has a twist.

Betha is a year younger than Egg. It's directly stated in World of Ice and Fire that they marry when he's twenty and she's nineteen. 

I just wish she wasn't a Blackwood. Martin loves throwing the Blackwoods in everywhere. Couldn't she have been a Mooton or a Vance or something?

Betha is a year younger than Egg. It's directly stated in World of Ice and Fire that they marry when he's twenty and she's nineteen. 

I just wish she wasn't a Blackwood. Martin loves throwing the Blackwoods in everywhere. Couldn't she have been a Mooton or a Vance or something?

ah, thanks! I think Dunk wouldn't even consider her for a love interest. I like how Rohanne was at least 5 years older than him.

I personally like that she is a Blackwood. Want Bloodraven to give Egg a shovel-talk.

And I find all Targ marriages since Aegon the Unworthy amusing. Aelor and Aelora in a ewww way. I mean, twins? It seems worser than just brother and sister or than a passion Cersei-Jaime thing (if  Aelor and Aelora was arranged by relatives. Whos idea was it, i wonder? )

I'm not the biggest Dunk fan. I don't necessarily dislike him, but the obliviousness thing got old to me. He's the equivalent to a dumb jock. He has the best intentions & has a good heart but just a little bit of common sense would help me like him more.

However, I was rooting for Dunk to get the girl in all 3 books. I was disappointed he didn't get a girl in any book. Lol

I don't think he's a dumb jock. More like like poor kid who never learned anything he didn't teach himself.  

Aelor and Aelora were possibly an arranged match, possibly by their father (during a sane phase), their mother, or Aerys I himself (who might have taken some interest in his nephew and niece after Rhaegel had died and Aelor became his Heir Presumptive.

But it could just as well have been an arranged match based on romantic love. They were non-identical twins like Cersei and Jaime, and if they are any example then the idea of twins falling in love with each other is not a far-fetched notion in George's world, especially if the characters involved are raised with the idea that incest marriages are part of their normal lifestyle.

Aelora certainly seemed to have loved her twin-brother since his accidental death caused by her left her mad with grief. My personal guess is that it might turn out that they were very much into each other and had a taste for risky and exciting sex games, resulting in Aelor's death during some risky thing they were exploring. But that's just my guess.

Aelora certainly seemed to have loved her twin-brother since his accidental death caused by her left her mad with grief. My personal guess is that it might turn out that they were very much into each other and had a taste for risky and exciting sex games, resulting in Aelor's death during some risky thing they were exploring. But that's just my guess.

I've kinda headcanonned the opposite - that they loved each other, but the arranged marriage screwed their (or at least her) mental state,  something in the lines of Émile Zola, and risky sex steamed from unhealthy place (in this case). And the fact that they have similar names also makes it more squicky than Lannister twins for me.

I really enjoyed them. I've read the first two (both graphic novels and KotSK book) but I'm saving the third installment for Christmas.

I like Egg but I would totally read a book about Aerion instead. Imagine a book in which Aerion, Daeron, Aemon and Egg gather in KL. "Christmas with the Targaryens".

Don't even joke about it. Did you see the StarWars Christmas Special?!?!? 

• 4 weeks later...

However, I was rooting for Dunk to get the girl in all 3 books. I was disappointed he didn't get a girl in any book. Lol

If you read between the lines of his kiss with Rohanne Webber in SS, we may have a few clues for our puzzle. The description of RW with the pug nose and freckles matches Brienne, but with Dunk's body. She just married old Osgrey so a kid could easily be passed off as legitimate  (Eustace wasn't that different in build/color than Dunk). That would provide Dunk genes with a sufficiently highborn name to eventually result in Brienne of Tarth.

RW subsequent marriage to the Lannister line that goes on to result in Jaimie could explain the not so subtle jabs in the books and show about Jaime and Brienne being related. They would be, via RW...

Just throwing that out there...

If you read between the lines of his kiss with Rohanne Webber in SS, we may have a few clues for our puzzle. The description of RW with the pug nose and freckles matches Brienne, but with Dunk's body. She just married old Osgrey so a kid could easily be passed off as legitimate  (Eustace wasn't that different in build/color than Dunk). That would provide Dunk genes with a sufficiently highborn name to eventually result in Brienne of Tarth.

RW subsequent marriage to the Lannister line that goes on to result in Jaimie could explain the not so subtle jabs in the books and show about Jaime and Brienne being related. They would be, via RW...

Just throwing that out there...

I seem to recall there's a fair amount of evidence that nothing more happened between them that day. I don't remember the details but I'm sure someone will. I think part of it was that it was implied that Dunk was still a virgin in The Mystery Knight. 

Archived