Small Questions v. 10104

Rhaenys_Targaryen

20 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

Aerys capture at Duskendale occurred in 276.  Rhaegar married in 279.

We know that Varys came to Aerys' court after Duskendale, but not exactly when.

Any chance Varys influenced the king to have Rhaegar marry Elia?

Duskendale took place in 277 AC, not 276. Rhaegar and Elia were betrothed early in 279 AC, and married the year after.

Varys appears to have been summoned from Pentos only after Steffon Baratheon died. Steffon left on his mission in 278 AC, and returned (and died) that same year, implying that by the time he died, at least about half of the year was already over (as we need to account for his travelling). That the betrothal was announced in early 279 AC would imply that such talks about betrothal had been ongoing for a while, though we have no idea for how long.

Thus, there doesn't appear to have been so much time between Steffon's death and the announcement of Rhaegar's berothal. I'd say that half a year would be on the long side already. Varys still has to be summoned (though it should be said that Pentos is not so far from KL). 

So while it is possible that Varys arrived in KL before the idea to betroth Rhaegar to Elia ever came to be, and that he influenced Aerys in his decision, it should be said that there are no hints (as of yet) that Varys actually had any influence in the decision of Rhaegar's marriage.

2 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Why does Harma hate dogs so much? 

Because she is related to my brother-in-law. I have two Great Danes and a Pug and he HATES coming over here just because of that alone.

Other than that I am sure it is just symbolism for something that she takes a dog head when she can. She seems fairly talented in her scouting and battle ways (sorry, technical terms have escaped me today). Maybe she thinks of them as a sacrifice for her talents?

Because she is related to my brother-in-law. I have two Great Danes and a Pug and he HATES coming over here just because of that alone.

Other than that I am sure it is just symbolism for something that she takes a dog head when she can. She seems fairly talented in her scouting and battle ways (sorry, technical terms have escaped me today). Maybe she thinks of them as a sacrifice for her talents?

1 minute ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The dog heads are not just symbolism; she really hates 'em...

I know. She really, really does, I just don't know why. I ran through the search and looked elsewhere and got nuthin'. I do remember asking myself this same question when I read it the first time or two around because I have dogs and I was curious. There isn't enough info, not on her brother either. I figured he may have been disfigured by a dog, parents eaten by dogs or something, but nope.

The only thing I can think of is it symbolizes how she fits in to the pecking order of the group as a whole. She uses the dogs head as a totem, which is like a spirit guide in our world. So why the incredible hate? I have no idea. Maybe something to do with Rattleshirt?

Or maybe it's just a cool name with gory details ;)

What sparked this question?

17 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I know. She really, really does, I just don't know why. I ran through the search and looked elsewhere and got nuthin'. I do remember asking myself this same question when I read it the first time or two around because I have dogs and I was curious. There isn't enough info, not on her brother either. I figured he may have been disfigured by a dog, parents eaten by dogs or something, but nope.

The only thing I can think of is it symbolizes how she fits in to the pecking order of the group as a whole. She uses the dogs head as a totem, which is like a spirit guide in our world. So why the incredible hate? I have no idea. Maybe something to do with Rattleshirt?

Or maybe it's just a cool name with gory details ;)

What sparked this question?

I just read that Jon chapter and wondered.

12 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Duskendale took place in 277 AC, not 276. Rhaegar and Elia were betrothed early in 279 AC, and married the year after.

Varys appears to have been summoned from Pentos only after Steffon Baratheon died. Steffon left on his mission in 278 AC, and returned (and died) that same year, implying that by the time he died, at least about half of the year was already over (as we need to account for his travelling). That the betrothal was announced in early 279 AC would imply that such talks about betrothal had been ongoing for a while, though we have no idea for how long.

Thus, there doesn't appear to have been so much time between Steffon's death and the announcement of Rhaegar's berothal. I'd say that half a year would be on the long side already. Varys still has to be summoned (though it should be said that Pentos is not so far from KL). 

So while it is possible that Varys arrived in KL before the idea to betroth Rhaegar to Elia ever came to be, and that he influenced Aerys in his decision, it should be said that there are no hints (as of yet) that Varys actually had any influence in the decision of Rhaegar's marriage.

Hmm, the Wiki for "Duskendale" states the Defiance of Duskendale occurs in 276, while the Wiki for "Defiance of Duskendale" states 277.  (I got that year from the former.)

Per asearchoficeandfire, 277 is correct. 

When I searched "Varys" in AWoIaF, I managed to find this block of text from "The Targaryen Kings: Aerys II."

In the years that followed, the king's madness deepened. Though Tywin Lannister continued as Hand, Aerys no longer met with him save in the presence of all seven Kingsguard. Convinced that the smallfolk and lords were plotting against his life and fearing that even Queen Rhaella and Prince Rhaegar might be part of these plots, he reached across the narrow sea to Pentos and imported a eunuch named Varys to serve as his spymaster, reasoning that only a man without friends, family, or ties in Westeros could be relied upon for the truth. The Spider, as he soon became known to the smallfolk of his realm, used the crown's gold to create a vast web of informers. For the rest of Aerys's reign, he would crouch at the king's side, whispering in his ear.

In the wake of Duskendale, the king also began to display signs of an ever-increasing obsession with dragonfire, similar to that which had haunted several of his forebears. Lord Darklyn would never have dared defy him if he had been a dragonrider, Aerys reasoned. His attempts to bring forth dragons from eggs found in the depths of Dragonstone (some so old that they had turned to stone) yielded naught, however.

Frustrated, Aerys turned to the Wisdoms of the ancient Guild of Alchemists, who knew the secret of producing the volatile jade green substance known as wildfire, said to be a close cousin to dragonflame. The pyromancers became a regular fixture at his court as the king's fascination with fire grew. By 280 AC, Aerys II had taken to burning traitors, murderers, and plotters, rather than hanging or beheading them. The king seemed to take great pleasure in these fiery executions, which were presided over by Wisdom Rossart, the grand master of the Guild of Alchemists...so much so that he granted Rossart the title of Lord and gave him a seat upon the small council.

His Grace's growing madness had become unmistakable by that time. From Dorne to the Wall, men had begun to refer to Aerys II as the Mad King. In King's Landing, he was called King Scab, for the many times he had cut himself upon the Iron Throne. Yet with Varys the Spider and his whisperers listening, it had become very dangerous to voice any of these sentiments aloud.

Meanwhile, King Aerys was becoming ever more estranged from his own son and heir. Early in the year 279 AC, Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone, was formally betrothed to Princess Elia Martell, the delicate young sister of Doran Martell, Prince of Dorne. They were wed the following year, in a lavish ceremony at the Great Sept of Baelor in King's Landing, but Aerys II did not attend. He told the small council that he feared an attempt upon his life if he left the confines of the Red Keep, even with his Kingsguard to protect him. Nor would he allow his younger son, Viserys, to attend his brother's wedding.

Varys is mentioned before the betrothal, so I would assume that he was in KL serving Aerys' court before the betrothal, no?

36 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

Hmm, the Wiki for "Duskendale" states the Defiance of Duskendale occurs in 276, while the Wiki for "Defiance of Duskendale" states 277.  (I got that year from the former.)

When I searched "Varys" in AWoIaF, I managed to find this block of text from "The Targaryen Kings: Aerys II."

In the years that followed, the king's madness deepened. Though Tywin Lannister continued as Hand, Aerys no longer met with him save in the presence of all seven Kingsguard. Convinced that the smallfolk and lords were plotting against his life and fearing that even Queen Rhaella and Prince Rhaegar might be part of these plots, he reached across the narrow sea to Pentos and imported a eunuch named Varys to serve as his spymaster, reasoning that only a man without friends, family, or ties in Westeros could be relied upon for the truth. The Spider, as he soon became known to the smallfolk of his realm, used the crown's gold to create a vast web of informers. For the rest of Aerys's reign, he would crouch at the king's side, whispering in his ear.

In the wake of Duskendale, the king also began to display signs of an ever-increasing obsession with dragonfire, similar to that which had haunted several of his forebears. Lord Darklyn would never have dared defy him if he had been a dragonrider, Aerys reasoned. His attempts to bring forth dragons from eggs found in the depths of Dragonstone (some so old that they had turned to stone) yielded naught, however.

Frustrated, Aerys turned to the Wisdoms of the ancient Guild of Alchemists, who knew the secret of producing the volatile jade green substance known as wildfire, said to be a close cousin to dragonflame. The pyromancers became a regular fixture at his court as the king's fascination with fire grew. By 280 AC, Aerys II had taken to burning traitors, murderers, and plotters, rather than hanging or beheading them. The king seemed to take great pleasure in these fiery executions, which were presided over by Wisdom Rossart, the grand master of the Guild of Alchemists...so much so that he granted Rossart the title of Lord and gave him a seat upon the small council.

His Grace's growing madness had become unmistakable by that time. From Dorne to the Wall, men had begun to refer to Aerys II as the Mad King. In King's Landing, he was called King Scab, for the many times he had cut himself upon the Iron Throne. Yet with Varys the Spider and his whisperers listening, it had become very dangerous to voice any of these sentiments aloud.

Meanwhile, King Aerys was becoming ever more estranged from his own son and heir. Early in the year 279 AC, Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone, was formally betrothed to Princess Elia Martell, the delicate young sister of Doran Martell, Prince of Dorne. They were wed the following year, in a lavish ceremony at the Great Sept of Baelor in King's Landing, but Aerys II did not attend. He told the small council that he feared an attempt upon his life if he left the confines of the Red Keep, even with his Kingsguard to protect him. Nor would he allow his younger son, Viserys, to attend his brother's wedding.

Varys is mentioned before the betrothal, so I would assume that he was in KL serving Aerys' court before the betrothal, no?

Not necessarily. The information could be presented non-chronologically. 

Is it just me or does this Sherlock Holmes quote remind anyone of a certain eunuch

He is the Napoleon of crime, Watson. He is the organizer of half that is evil and of nearly all that is undetected in this great city, He is a genius, a philosopher, an abstract thinker. He has a brain of the first order. He sits motionless, like a spider in the center of its web, but that web has a thousand radiations, and he knows well every quiver of each of them. He does little himself. He only plans.”

Just a random thought I thought i'd share

Are there any theories regarding Jamie growing a new hand?

Be it some sort of magic (remember Victarion's arm) or him simply going all Evil dead (with a sword instead of a chainsaw) I just have this feeling that all his terrible practicing with his other hand is going to lead to something of this sort.

4 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

I fixed the wiki page :)

As to the quoted text, it is especially the "meanwhile" part that makes it a bit vague. Chances are good that Varys arrived before the betrothal.. but I wouldn't call it confirmed just yet.

9 hours ago, Dr Qyburn M.D said:

Is it just me or does this Sherlock Holmes quote remind anyone of a certain eunuch

He is the Napoleon of crime, Watson. He is the organizer of half that is evil and of nearly all that is undetected in this great city, He is a genius, a philosopher, an abstract thinker. He has a brain of the first order. He sits motionless, like a spider in the center of its web, but that web has a thousand radiations, and he knows well every quiver of each of them. He does little himself. He only plans.”

Just a random thought I thought i'd share

Yes. The big bad in just about any story. 

Ok, brace yourselves... I have another small question ^_^

Do we know anything about the two sweeps Jaremy Rykker does when looking for Benjen... who is looking for Royce who is looking for wildlings? Which direction does Rykker travel, how far does he go?

I know Craster tells Jeor that he hasn't seen Benjen in three years, but I can't see where anything else like Royce is mentioned.

10 hours ago, matsuki said:

Are there any theories regarding Jamie growing a new hand?

Be it some sort of magic (remember Victarion's arm) or him simply going all Evil dead (with a sword instead of a chainsaw) I just have this feeling that all his terrible practicing with his other hand is going to lead to something of this sort.

Yes.  I have read theories that Jaime will be allowed trial by combat and that Thoros will animate his golden hand so it can be a fair fight.

Archived