Small Questions v. 10104

Rhaenys_Targaryen

2 hours ago, Winter Rose Crown said:

This has always bugged me. Did Walder Frey really name one of his kids "anus" or is it pronounced differently?

I believe it is Aenys. Seem the Frey's had a period of naming their kids after Targaryens.

I have two questions that sorta popped in to my head when discussing something else in a different thread.

Bloodraven is the last greenseer, and now we have Bran. Both are hooked up to trees now (or in the process of for Bran). Bran still explores the caves through Hodor and he comes across this:

A Dance with Dragons - Bran III 

He even crossed the slender stone bridge that arched over the abyss and discovered more passages and chambers on the far side. One was full of singers, enthroned like Brynden in nests of weirwood roots that wove under and through and around their bodies. Most of them looked dead to him, but as he crossed in front of them their eyes would open and follow the light of his torch, and one of them opened and closed a wrinkled mouth as if he were trying to speak. "Hodor," Bran said to him, and he felt the real Hodor stir down in his pit.

1) Why are those CotF hooked up to trees? Are they "feeding" the trees?

2) Any clue as to what the last little wooden singer way trying to say to Hodor/Bran? It was something enough to make Hodor/Bran feel uncomfortable.

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I have two questions that sorta popped in to my head when discussing something else in a different thread.

Bloodraven is the last greenseer, and now we have Bran. Both are hooked up to trees now (or in the process of for Bran). Bran still explores the caves through Hodor and he comes across this:

He even crossed the slender stone bridge that arched over the abyss and discovered more passages and chambers on the far side. One was full of singers, enthroned like Brynden in nests of weirwood roots that wove under and through and around their bodies. Most of them looked dead to him, but as he crossed in front of them their eyes would open and follow the light of his torch, and one of them opened and closed a wrinkled mouth as if he were trying to speak. "Hodor," Bran said to him, and he felt the real Hodor stir down in his pit.

2) Any clue as to what the last little wooden singer way trying to say to Hodor/Bran? It was something enough to make Hodor/Bran feel uncomfortable.

It doesn't say they are hooked up to the trees, only that they are sitting in/ sleeping on weirwood chairs/ beds.  I think if they were hooked up it would have said so.

6 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

6 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

It doesn't say they are hooked up to the trees, only that they are sitting in/ sleeping on weirwood chairs/ beds.  I think if they were hooked up it would have said so.

"One was full of singers, enthroned like Brynden in nests of weirwood roots that wove under and through and around their bodies."

Doesn't that line mean they are hooked up if it says "like Brynden"? And the roots go through their skin/bodies. This is what I am trying to clarify. What are they doing in wrapped up in the roots?

I do appreciate the response ^_^

Just now, The Fattest Leech said:

"One was full of singers, enthroned like Brynden in nests of weirwood roots that wove under and through and around their bodies."

Doesn't that line mean they are hooked up if it says "like Brynden"? And the roots go through their skin/bodies. This is what I am trying to clarify. What are they doing in wrapped up in the roots?

I missed the word through.  That does seem to suggest they are hooked up like Brynden.  In any event it's definitely not a small question as there is no way we can answer it at this time.

Just now, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I missed the word through.  That does seem to suggest they are hooked up like Brynden.  In any event it's definitely not a small question as there is no way we can answer it at this time.

Hahaha. Thanks! I guess I thought it was something that had been clarified long before I joined here and it was a small question for my newbie-self. As many times as I read that chapter over the last few years, it wasn't until I listened to it on Audible while driving that that particular line struck out to me... where in turn I almost ran off the road and struck a tree :D

4 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Possibly those are the older Greenseers that were doing the  job before Bloodraven.

23 minutes ago, Lord Wraith said:

Possibly those are the older Greenseers that were doing the  job before Bloodraven.

Sorry to be so driven with this topic, stop me if you must!

So if the other ones in the trees are past greenseers, and Bran is in training to be the next greenseer, then Bloodraven is not the Last Greenseer... just the current one because the other ones are still "alive"? One tried to talk to Bran/Hodor. And that means that after all of these thousands of years, the greenseers just "line up" in the cave, not really dying or going away? I guess I have tons of questions about Bloodraven, the Greenseer line of progression, Jojen paste?, and what those singers are doing hooked up (are they still seeing).

I really believe that BR is up to no good and is doing soemthing along he lines of trying to "fatten" Bran up mentally or otherwise so he can ingest Bran's powers 'cuz Bran is supposed to be really good at his skill and BR may want that.

Bloodraven tells Bran "Darkness will make you strong", and, "Your blood makes you a greenseer," said Lord Brynden.

but before that, Bran thinks, "You cannot know what the light might summon from the darkness."

I guess, as aryagonnakill#2 said, "In any event it's definitely not a small question ... "

7 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Or are they what's left of the impaled greenseers Bran saw way back in Game? 

2 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Sorry to be so driven with this topic, stop me if you must!

So if the other ones in the trees are past greenseers, and Bran is in training to be the next greenseer, then Bloodraven is not the Last Greenseer... just the current one because the other ones are still "alive"? One tried to talk to Bran/Hodor. And that means that after all of these thousands of years, the greenseers just "line up" in the cave, not really dying or going away? I guess I have tons of questions about Bloodraven, the Greenseer line of progression, Jojen paste?, and what those singers are doing hooked up (are they still seeing).

I really believe that BR is up to no good and is doing soemthing along he lines of trying to "fatten" Bran up mentally or otherwise so he can ingest Bran's powers 'cuz Bran is supposed to be really good at his skill and BR may want that.

Bloodraven tells Bran "Darkness will make you strong", and, "Your blood makes you a greenseer," said Lord Brynden.

but before that, Bran thinks, "You cannot know what the light might summon from the darkness."

I guess, as aryagonnakill#2 said, "In any event it's definitely not a small question ... "

Well they might be too far gone... you know, what I mean? Like too much a part of the god hood already. 

16 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Or are they what's left of the impaled greenseers Bran saw way back in Game? 

I just searched this and found that reference. I forgot that detail and it seems very plausible. 

Thanks again for the info. I need to stop having that second and third pot of coffee some days. 

50 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

"Under the sea the mermen feast in starfish soup, and all the serving men are crabs," Patchface proclaimed as they went.

I'd imagine that the mermen refer to House Manderly, and thought the crabs might refer to House Borrell, but the starfish soup? Anyone any idea's.. 

Starfish look a bit like hands. Manderly sent a Hand to the land of famed cannibals. Oh just fantasizing :)

1 hour ago, Jon Weirgaryen said:

Starfish look a bit like hands. Manderly sent a Hand to the land of famed cannibals. Oh just fantasizing :)

Ok, based on your speculation, my own, as it just became a bit more clear in my head. I had been wondering how Davos couls fit in there, indeed. 

If the mermen refer to House Manderly, the starfish soup most likely won't refer to the Skagosi, as it are the mermen who feast on the starfish soup.

If the crabs refer to House Borrell, due to their sigil, they can indeed be seen as those who have "served" Davos to Manderly, by allowing him to continue his journey to White Harbor. 

That would make Davos the starfish. Starfish can regenerate parts of their body (I'm not sure if all species of starfish can, but there are starfish who are capable of doing so), which you can see as a reference to Davos's head and hands having been on Manderly's gate at first, and then Davos was suddenly "in one piece" again (of course, the head and hands on the gate weren't actually Davos's, but you understand what I mean, I hope). He "regenerated" parts of himself. 

So perhaps, the "feast" would then refer to Davos's mission, as the North would feast upon getting their Stark Lord back.

How does that sound? 

Archived