Small Questions v. 10104

Rhaenys_Targaryen

When he unveils himself to Daenerys, Barristan says that even as a boy Viserys resembled Aerys in ways that Rhaegar did not. So, I think we can deduce that there was a level of paranoia, or some sort of madness, there - even before Viserys fled Kings Landing with Rhaella prior to the sack. That said, I think we also have to consider the level of entitlement that Viserys shows in Thrones. Even though he has been essentially wandering Essos for more than a decade, he still feels entitled to be treated as the most significant person in whatever company he is in. On his own sister's wedding day, he seems more concerned with Drogo's army and where he is seated than in ensuring his sister enjoys her day. He is a pretty selfish guy, and it is embodied in his behavior on this day, and in his time with the Dothraki.  Therefore, I do wonder if it was as much Viserys assuming that Robert would send people after him because of his own sense of self-importance as it was his paranoia. 

9 minutes ago, dornishdame said:

When he unveils himself to Daenerys, Barristan says that even as a boy Viserys resembled Aerys in ways that Rhaegar did not. So, I think we can deduce that there was a level of paranoia, or some sort of madness, there - even before Viserys fled Kings Landing with Rhaella prior to the sack. That said, I think we also have to consider the level of entitlement that Viserys shows in Thrones. Even though he has been essentially wandering Essos for more than a decade, he still feels entitled to be treated as the most significant person in whatever company he is in. On his own sister's wedding day, he seems more concerned with Drogo's army and where he is seated than in ensuring his sister enjoys her day. He is a pretty selfish guy, and it is embodied in his behavior on this day, and in his time with the Dothraki.  Therefore, I do wonder if it was as much Viserys assuming that Robert would send people after him because of his own sense of self-importance as it was his paranoia. 

That might have been a small part of it. I think that would kind of depend on how Darry treated Viserys during those first five years in exile, and how much he understood during his year on Dragonstone. If, for example, Rhaella had told him time and time again that the Baratheons would come to hunt them, it would only be natural for Viserys to keep believing that.

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Either Viserys was truly paranoid or Varys and Illyrio were harassing them. But with Daenerys suggesting there were no assassins, it sounds like Viserys was paranoid. 

Well, that is always a possibility. But that Dany didn't see anything, doesn't necessarily mean there was absolutely nothing to see. 

It might help to know how Viserys and Dany eventually decided to travel to Pentos. And with Barristan having promised the Tattered Prince Pentos, as well as Illyrio's bigger role (I assume, due to Aegon) in the next novel or two, we might actually get to learn about that.

But remember, how, while Aerys might have been truly paranoia, not all of it was without reason. A lot was, sure, but not all. For Viserys, it might have been something similar. See one person, imagine there are five more, so to speak.

3 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Are there any theories or ideas concerning who Aurane Waters's mother is?  Both he and Rohanne Webber have grey-green eyes and a dimpled chin - could they be related? 

The only other person who has grey-green eyes is Lord Baelish. Not sure what the connection could be.

35 minutes ago, TheWhiteWalker said:

What are the odds on TWOW releasing by the end of 2016?

No idea. In his last WOW update, Martin said that there's still good amount of work to do and that he doesn't know when he'll be finished. And he has stated many times before not to trust any other sources (other than himself) who claim the book is finished and/or put publication dates.

What does Jorah's quote about Rhaegar mean:

Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died

Everyone fought valiantly, nobly, and honorably. Many more so than Rhaegar, some lived, some died.

What is he trying to say? That he is a Targ loyalist? It really bugs me!

10 minutes ago, shizett said:

What does Jorah's quote about Rhaegar mean:

Everyone fought valiantly, nobly, and honorably. Many more so than Rhaegar, some lived, some died.

What is he trying to say? That he is a Targ loyalist? It really bugs me!

He's suggesting you have to get your hands dirty when you make war or you die.

5 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

He's suggesting you have to get your hands dirty when you make war or you die.

Is it still considered a small question if I follow up on your answer?

But Robert was all those things too (at least up to the end of Trident) and he won! Also, based on the well-known version of the story, Rheagar had one of the dirtiest hands.

11 minutes ago, shizett said:

But Robert was all those things too (at least up to the end of Trident) and he won! Also, based on the well-known version of the story, Rheagar had one of the dirtiest hands.

Probably best not to say so to the Mother of Dragons. 

15 minutes ago, shizett said:

Lets put it this way.  Tywin never fought fair, and Tywin always won.  He invaded the Riverlands unannounced, he took Kings Landing by claiming he was there to help, and he temporarily won the war for the throne with his orchestrating the Red Wedding.  None of which could be claimed as honorable, but all of which were effective.  I do not remember what plan Jorah was advocating for at the time, but it was probably something that would not be considered honorable, but would be effective.

7 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I do not remember what plan Jorah was advocating for at the time, but it was probably something that would not be considered honorable, but would be effective.

He was advocating buying a slave army of Unsullied to a girl who hates slavery to invade the continent that abhors slavery. Dany replies that this is not the way, that people who fought for Rhaegar were free men who believed in his cause, not slaves. Jorah responds with the quote.

To answer the original question: basically what aryagonnakill and LM said.

3 hours ago, Hangover of the Morning said:

If a married man joins the Night's Watch*, can his wife re-marry?

*Same would apply to the Citadel, Faith or Kingsguard but I guess it's much more likely an issue for the Night's Watch as the other orders are mostly composed of voluntary recruits. 

The closest circumstance I can think of, is Fireball making his wife join the silent sisters so he could join the Kingsguard.  It would seem that her taking the SIlent Sisters basically annulled their marriage, so my answer is yes.  Since it is also a substitute for death, I think it is reasonable to assume a woman could remarry. 

7 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

The closest circumstance I can think of, is Fireball making his wife join the silent sisters so he could join the Kingsguard.  It would seem that her taking the SIlent Sisters basically annulled their marriage, so my answer is yes.  Since it is also a substitute for death, I think it is reasonable to assume a woman could remarry. 

Sounds like Fireball was a special case, as he was desperately trying to join the Kingsguard. I would think that technically a married man can join the rank (though it would be very rare ) but Fireball didn't want to take any chances and risk that his marital status could be used against him since the KG is such a prestigious order and there's rarely an opening. 

Majority of the NW recruits are "peasants", often caught whilst stealing, poaching, trespassing etc., so a good portion of them ought to have been married before joining the Wall. I too think that, they are technically dead so their wives shouldn't have problem to remarry. Besides, I don't think that marriages follow as strict conduct among smallfolk where there is no title or property to be inherited. 

Archived