Small Questions v. 10104

Rhaenys_Targaryen

1 hour ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

There are a few passages that suggest he is healthy, he is described as surprisingly light on his feet, and he tells Tyrion he fucked a girl vigorously until the madness passed, the madness referring to his desire to rape Danaerys before she married Khal Drogo.

His diet seems like it is not high in red meat, more sea food and fowl, so less chance of heart problems, which would explain his dick still working and his use of the word "vigorously".

Umm, err, I thought it was Viserys that wanted to rape a young Dany and it was Illyrio that put guards outside her door to make sure Viserys didn't undo "years of planning" by taking his sister. 

On 1/21/2016 at 9:21 AM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

The Prologue indeed takes place in 297 AC. We know that with quite a lot of certainty. Around the middle of the year, to be more specific.

Bran I, takes place in 298 AC, rather early, on the same day as Catelyn I. 

Daenerys I and II are more difficult to say. Daenerys III ends in the middle of 298 AC, with her discovering that she is pregnant, but it is rather difficult to say how much time exactly has passes. A lot, we can estimate, from her experience with the khalassar and the language, but not how much exactly. Neither can we say how much times passes between Dany I and II, though that seems to be only little time, leading to the conclusion that Dany I and II most likely take place around the turning of the year, though exactly which one occurs when we can't say (yet).

AGOT ends in the early weeks of 299 AC, with all storylines more or less synchronized on the timeline.

Thanks. And thumbs up to you.

2 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Umm, err, I thought it was Viserys that wanted to rape a young Dany and it was Illyrio that put guards outside her door to make sure Viserys didn't undo "years of planning" by taking his sister. 

The fat man grew pensive. “Daenerys was half a child when she came to me, yet fairer even than my second wife, so lovely I was tempted to claim her for myself. Such a fearful, furtive thing, however, I knew I should get no joy from coupling with her. Instead I summoned a bed-warmer and fucked her vigorously until the madness passed. If truth be told, I did not think Daenerys would survive for long amongst the horselords.”
“That did not stop you selling her to Khal Drogo …”
“Dothraki neither buy nor sell. Say rather that her brother Viserys gave her to Drogo to win the khal’s friendship. A vain young man, and greedy. Viserys lusted for his father’s throne, but he lusted for Daenerys too, and was loath to give her up. The night before the princess wed he tried to steal into her bed, insisting that if he could not have her hand, he would claim her maidenhead. Had I not taken the precaution of posting guards upon her door, Viserys might have undone years of planning.”

1 hour ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

The fat man grew pensive. “Daenerys was half a child when she came to me, yet fairer even than my second wife, so lovely I was tempted to claim her for myself. Such a fearful, furtive thing, however, I knew I should get no joy from coupling with her. Instead I summoned a bed-warmer and fucked her vigorously until the madness passed. If truth be told, I did not think Daenerys would survive for long amongst the horselords.”
“That did not stop you selling her to Khal Drogo …”
“Dothraki neither buy nor sell. Say rather that her brother Viserys gave her to Drogo to win the khal’s friendship. A vain young man, and greedy. Viserys lusted for his father’s throne, but he lusted for Daenerys too, and was loath to give her up. The night before the princess wed he tried to steal into her bed, insisting that if he could not have her hand, he would claim her maidenhead. Had I not taken the precaution of posting guards upon her door, Viserys might have undone years of planning.”

Holy shit. How did I forget that supremely gross detail??? 

I will say, this does connect a few other dots for me with how someone else feels about Dany. 

Thanks again for setting me straight. 

On 22-1-2016 at 1:00 AM, Roddy Darwin said:

Completely unrelated: did someone a few posts back ask about a collection of ASOIAF-related things on Not a Blog, or was that in Wow I Never Noticed that? Either way, BryndenBFish's done it!

https://warsandpoliticsoficeandfire.wordpress.com/2016/01/21/the-complete-notablog-asoiaf-resource/

If I may, I think this link even deserves its place in the Small Questions' OP. So many gems in there, it's like a whole new SSM to keep us waiting some more. That thing about Tyrion flying... Hmmm.

Will add this link when I have access to a laptop

On 1/22/2016 at 6:22 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

Holy shit. How did I forget that supremely gross detail??? 

I will say, this does connect a few other dots for me with how someone else feels about Dany. 

Thanks again for setting me straight. 

Then again Illyrio could be lying. Its completely in character for him. Also the "years of planning" line is rather telling considering that Viserys and Dany were only at his manse for half a year or so.

1 hour ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

He had been watching them for years, though iirc. 

One could construe, that the "hired knives" that haunted Viserys might at some point have been Illyrio's spies and agents, maybe paid to shoo them into Illyrio's arms in Pentos. Or is that too far out?

43 minutes ago, Jon Weirgaryen said:

One could construe, that the "hired knives" that haunted Viserys might at some point have been Illyrio's spies and agents, maybe paid to shoo them into Illyrio's arms in Pentos. Or is that too far out?

Certainly possible. Robert certainly wasn't sending them.

4 hours ago, Jon Weirgaryen said:

Certainly possible. At least for getting them to Pentos. Once there, Illyrio could simply reach out to them.

6 hours ago, Jon Weirgaryen said:

Seems exactly like the scan Ilyrio and Varys use to play that Ilyrio describes to Tyrion.  How they would steal things then get them back for a price.  

19 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Then again Illyrio could be lying. Its completely in character for him. Also the "years of planning" line is rather telling considering that Viserys and Dany were only at his manse for half a year or so.

I don't remember Daenerys saying that. We know there were no hirerd knives because Robert told The Ned that Jon Arryn talked him out of sending assassins after the Targlings.

14 hours ago, RumHam said:

I thought the implication was that the hired knives were all in Viserys's head. Doesn't Dany mention that she never actually saw one? 

12 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I don't remember Daenerys saying that. We know there were no hirerd knives because Robert told The Ned that Jon Arryn talked him out of sending assassins after the Targlings.

She indeed thinks that to herself.

They  had  wandered  since  then,  from  Braavos  to  Myr,  from  Myr  to  Tyrosh,  and  on to  Qohor  and Volantis  and  Lys,  never  staying  long  in  any  one  place.  Her  brother  would  not  allow  it.  The Usurper’s hired knives were close behind them, he insisted, though Dany had never seen one. 

But that Dany never saw a 'hired knife', doesn't mean that Viserys's paranoia about that was completely without reason.

Fact remains that once Dany reached the right age, Illyrio would have needed to be able to take them into his house, and for that they needed to be in Pentos. Whether he influenced when they travelled there, is unknown, but it is a possibility that we should at least consider.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 0:27 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Didn't the poster now known as Mithras develop a theory linking him to Yezzan? 

ETA Him being Illyrio. 

I once theorized (I think it might have been on one of the Small Questions threads) that Yezzan and Illyrio had the same disease: something that causes obesity, increased appetite, and (eventually) shutting down of organs, like the kidneys and liver, which is what caused Yezzan's jaundice and Illyrio's constant need for urination. 

2 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

I once theorized (I think it might have been on one of the Small Questions threads) that Yezzan and Illyrio had the same disease: something that causes obesity, increased appetite, and (eventually) shutting down of organs, like the kidneys and liver, which is what caused Yezzan's jaundice and Illyrio's constant need for urination. 

That's the one! Can you point me to your theory? 

1 minute ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

That's the one! Can you point me to your theory? 

I have not seen this one but it sounds interesting. 

Does any of this apply to Manderly as well? Not every hour-long-squat is a secret meeting, I'm sure. 

3 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

She indeed thinks that to herself.

They  had  wandered  since  then,  from  Braavos  to  Myr,  from  Myr  to  Tyrosh,  and  on to  Qohor  and Volantis  and  Lys,  never  staying  long  in  any  one  place.  Her  brother  would  not  allow  it.  The Usurper’s hired knives were close behind them, he insisted, though Dany had never seen one. 

But that Dany never saw a 'hired knife', doesn't mean that Viserys's paranoia about that was completely without reason.

Fact remains that once Dany reached the right age, Illyrio would have needed to be able to take them into his house, and for that they needed to be in Pentos. Whether he influenced when they travelled there, is unknown, but it is a possibility that we should at least consider.

Either Viserys was truly paranoid or Varys and Illyrio were harassing them. But with Daenerys suggesting there were no assassins, it sounds like Viserys was paranoid. 

Archived