The Grimdark Appreciation thread III

C.T. Phipps

Eh, I think Wexler is one of the best writers around right now. It's just not grim or dark. It's oh what's the term for gunpowder era fantasy? It's that. And awesome.

Flintlock fantasy, apparently. Maybe you should start an appreciation thread for that...

I've only read the first one of his Shadow Campaigns, I didn't hate it but it felt a bit tame to me - like, I don't need my stories to be grim and dark but if you're writing a military fantasy and it's not really grim or dark at all it feels a little off. I have heard the series gets better, though.

I think mostly I was put off by the idea of someone putting Django Wexler and Nnedi Okorafor on the same list.

Her writing is very strange, very intense and very angry on a number of uncomfortable subjects, so I can definitely understand why she divides. But for me Who Fears Death is an absolutely phenomenal work; it occupies a similar place in my headspace to something like Dune. If there's any justice, it should be a seminal piece of SFF for future generations.

Eh, I think Wexler is one of the best writers around right now. It's just not grim or dark. It's oh what's the term for gunpowder era fantasy? It's that. And awesome.

Again, we agree with each other.  I dig some Wexler.  Although I think it's safely in the 'Fantasy' category. 

Her writing is very strange, very intense and very angry on a number of uncomfortable subjects, so I can definitely understand why she divides. But for me Who Fears Death is an absolutely phenomenal work; it occupies a similar place in my headspace to something like Dune. If there's any justice, it should be a seminal piece of SFF for future generations.

All I know is a lot of my friends who consider themselves feminists got into a super mega ultra death fight over it.

Grimdark Magazine 6# is out today.

Grimdark 6# on Amazon.com 

Alas, the only Django Wexler book I've read is his HILARIOUS debugger novellas.

I need to correct that.

I'd say that every page of this thread I read, the less I know about what grimdark is. 

Honestly, I don't think there's that much disagreement. It's just that most people here are invested enough to want to get into the nitty-gritty details.

It's kind of like describing Star Trek. Get a thread of a dozen hardcore Trekkies and some lesser Trekkers and you're going to be completely unable to describe what Star Trek is about as they get into debates about optimistic future, exploration, Gene Roddenberry's vision, and specific minutia. When, in fact, it's pretty easy for normal people to just say, "Dark and Gritty Fantasy/Sci-Fi."

Edit:

Rather than try to explain WHAT grimdark is, I'm going to say WHY I like it. For me, grimdark is a work which takes the gloves off for the protagonists. One of the problems with a lot of fiction, IMHO, is the character shields. Not, necessarilly, that you know everyone is going to make it through the story intact but that it's going to be a story which doesn't fundamentally change them or challenge them.

Luke Skywalker is a great character and one which I will always treasure but the most important part of his story arc is the discovery that he can't trust Obi-Wan Kenobi or Yoda. His choice is challenged and that makes it strong but what if there really was a place where he might end up joining the Empire or the Second Death Star attack fails miserably?

The best grimdark stories don't really provide the magic bullet or Kirk solution which makes everything alright in the end. They're stories about living with situations that don't, necessarily, get better. In grimdark, characters can win small victories or achieve some measure of peace but are just as likely to meet the same sort of fate as Jack Nicholson's character in Chinatown. The system is unbeatable so you just move on.

The good thing about grimdark for me is there's rarely any easy answers or answers at all.

Honestly, I don't think there's that much disagreement. It's just that most people here are invested enough to want to get into the nitty-gritty details.

It's kind of like describing Star Trek. Get a thread of a dozen hardcore Trekkies and some lesser Trekkers and you're going to be completely unable to describe what Star Trek is about as they get into debates about optimistic future, exploration, Gene Roddenberry's vision, and specific minutia. When, in fact, it's pretty easy for normal people to just say, "Dark and Gritty Fantasy/Sci-Fi."

Edit:

Rather than try to explain WHAT grimdark is, I'm going to say WHY I like it. For me, grimdark is a work which takes the gloves off for the protagonists. One of the problems with a lot of fiction, IMHO, is the character shields. Not, necessarilly, that you know everyone is going to make it through the story intact but that it's going to be a story which doesn't fundamentally change them or challenge them.

Luke Skywalker is a great character and one which I will always treasure but the most important part of his story arc is the discovery that he can't trust Obi-Wan Kenobi or Yoda. His choice is challenged and that makes it strong but what if there really was a place where he might end up joining the Empire or the Second Death Star attack fails miserably?

The best grimdark stories don't really provide the magic bullet or Kirk solution which makes everything alright in the end. They're stories about living with situations that don't, necessarily, get better. In grimdark, characters can win small victories or achieve some measure of peace but are just as likely to meet the same sort of fate as Jack Nicholson's character in Chinatown. The system is unbeatable so you just move on.

The good thing about grimdark for me is there's rarely any easy answers or answers at all.

That's just cynical fiction. Nothing new that requires a whole set of parameters. We get it, good guys get screwed. Nothing new there.

Not sure I agree with your definition though.

Again. Books about dragons and shit with bad words in it.

Archived