Star Wars VII - The Spoiler Menace

Jon AS

Yeah I hardly ever see movies in the theater anymore, let alone seeing them twice.  Before TFA awakens, I had only seen 2 movies in the theater in 2015.  But I went and saw TFA for the second time in the theater today.

The first time I saw it I found myself wishing for a more interactive audience as the one I saw it with was as dead as they come, no reaction to anything...perhaps it had something to do with the recliner seats into which everyone had fully reclined into pure comfort and contentment.  Today's audience was much more reactive...although not quite in the way I expected.  I had some diehard "Reylo" shippers sitting next to me who were seeing the movie for the fourth time for more inspiration for their Ren / Rey fanfic stories and they were quite vocal during every scene where the two were together.  Ren carrying Rey in his arms on his ship was "OMG so romantic and just like Rhett Butler carrying Scarlet O'Hara up the staircase."  For this reason alone I guess I hope Rey turns out to be a Skywalker if only to sink this ship.  Although after all my years in Harry Potter fandom I guess I should know better.  I guess Ren is the new Snape.

In any case, I enjoyed the second viewing probably a bit more than the first.  After reading lots of articles, posts here elsewhere, the visual dictionary, and the novelization I was really able to notice and appreciate the details I hadn't been able to focus on the fist time.  For example, the scene between Ren and Han Solo on the bridge with the use of the blue and red lighting really stood out this time.  I could also focus more on Rey's lightsaber dream sequence and how that plays out.  It was fun to know Daniel Craig was in it and be able to spot Carrie Fisher's daughters in her scenes.  And the whole First Order stuff and what planets were destroyed made a lot more sense this time around.  The personalizations actors brought to their characters which deviated from the script were also fun to spot.  "Escape now, hug later" as spoken by Han seemed like a Harrison improvisation.  And knowing Rey was left on Jakku when she was 5 and watching it this time around, I came out with the feeling that she hasn't had a memory wipe and that she does remember her past and family.

And I absolutely found the Ren / Rey "fight" scene completely believable this time around.  True Ren had multiple injuries but more importantly I think was Snoke's order to bring Rey to him and Ren's own expressed interest in teaching her the ways of the Force.  He isn't trying to kill her or defeat her, only disable her enough to be able to bring her in.  The novelization makes much of Rey's fury during this entire scene and how this is what gives her the winning edge over Ren.  The novel even has her hearing a voice urging her to kill Ren...in much the way the Emperor urged Luke to kill Vader in ROTJ...but she resists.  I didn't really see this fury in the movie with Daisy's acting until after she closes her eyes and seemingly connects with the Force.  Then the fury was clearly there as she attacks.  Which is interesting because it possibly means her ability to disarm Ren has more to do with her connecting to the dark side of the Force than the light.  The implications of that could be interesting.

It's been two weeks now, but I'm only just now starting to realize that Han is dead. Also that he and Leia never really got their happy ending after ROTJ. This is really starting to bum me out a lot more than when I actually watched it. Am I alone in this?

It's been two weeks now, but I'm only just now starting to realize that Han is dead. Also that he and Leia never really got their happy ending after ROTJ. This is really starting to bum me out a lot more than when I actually watched it. Am I alone in this?

I didn't expect Han and Leia to workout long-term, but I was disappointed at the lack of any sort of recognizable chemistry between them. And yes, the death of Han continues to give me a sad. He and Chewie pretty much stole the show as far as I'm concerned.

I have to say, i loved Kylo Ren. I loved that he wasn't the stoic, calm, smart bad guy. I love that he was basically a young adult who is a whiny turd but still wants power. It makes it much more real me, especially since his whole thing is being torn between the good and the bad, AKA emotionally unstable. 

Han's death still bums me out, but that entire scene with him and Kylo on the bridge, when he yells BEN!, is probably my favorite part of the entire movie. 

Does anybody have a list of what books/GN/comics are cannon? Hell i'll even take some that aren't cannon but still fun to read.

Been interested in reading some Star Wars since seeing the movie, but i have no idea where to start.

Does anybody have a list of what books/GN/comics are cannon? Hell i'll even take some that aren't cannon but still fun to read.

Been interested in reading some Star Wars since seeing the movie, but i have no idea where to start.

Basically anything published in 2014 onwards is canon, plus the movies, Clone Wars and SW Rebels. Everything from Tarkin onwards is the new canon.

When Han died, this was, shamefully, my first thought. :lol:

Han's death was probably the weakest part of the movie for me. Well, not his death exactly, more the other characters' reactions to it. Besides Chewie, nobody seemed overly distraught about it. Hell, I was more choked up than most of the characters.

Han's death was probably the weakest part of the movie for me. Well, not his death exactly, more the other characters' reactions to it. Besides Chewie, nobody seemed overly distraught about it. Hell, I was more choked up than most of the characters.

Leia was upset.  As was Rey and as you said Chewie.  But unlike our love affair with him as a fan it is clear he isn't still well known in the resistance; we see many walk right by him without a hint of recognition.

Leia was upset.  As was Rey and as you said Chewie.  But unlike our love affair with him as a fan it is clear he isn't still well known in the resistance; we see many walk right by him without a hint of recognition.

Yeah, I guess in fairness it's implied that he's been away from the Resistance for around 12 years  - (Rey left on Jakku at 7ish, now 19,) Leia implies that Han left when Ben turned to the Dark Side, which presumably happened shortly before the attack on the academy/Rey being left on Jakku).

We went back and saw it again today, this time in IMAX 3D. I definitely picked up on more things that I missed last time in the general rush (and the fact that it was 1 AM!). Also after reading so many complaints about how much of a "remake" it was, I was surprised to be reminded again of my initial reaction which was that it was similar but definitely a new story. About the only thing I felt like was too similar was the whole Star Killer / Death Star thing, and even then, it was not a total duplicate.

Biggest complaint I have is the Captain Phasma piece. Now that was lame--like she would have just handed over the keys to the shields like that! No way.

At the time I assumed Phasma expected the room to be quickly rushed, almost like she was in fact setting off the alarm.  But on second view I see my theory isn't supported at all.

It did occur to me to be a bit odd, but maybe it was just about overconfidence - they've just put the Republic out of commission for a while, so they're not expecting any attacks by a fleet, they have plenty of TIEs and Stormtroopers, so perhaps she just assumes that there's no real threat and lowering the shields gives her the best chance of survival. Remember that all that this achieves is letting the X-Wings get close to the surface, but they're getting shot to pieces and unable to damage the base at all until Han and Chewie set off those explosives inside the base.

I'll have to see it again. My initial reaction was really only Chewie being affected.

I also don't buy him being relatively unknown: captain of the Millenium Falcon, instrumental in the Battles of Yavin and Endor. General in the Rebellion. Along with Luke and Leia, they are almost mythic figures for the Resistance. There is no way the Resistance didn't at least know of Han and that he was raiding the Starkiller base. Granted they probably didn't even know he died until well after the battle. But aside from that, my impression was those closest to Han in the film (besides Chewie)weren't much affected by his death. There was a short boo hiss but not much more if I remember correctly. I'll pay more attention next time I see the film.

We went back and saw it again today, this time in IMAX 3D. I definitely picked up on more things that I missed last time in the general rush (and the fact that it was 1 AM!). Also after reading so many complaints about how much of a "remake" it was, I was surprised to be reminded again of my initial reaction which was that it was similar but definitely a new story. About the only thing I felt like was too similar was the whole Star Killer / Death Star thing, and even then, it was not a total duplicate.

Biggest complaint I have is the Captain Phasma piece. Now that was lame--like she would have just handed over the keys to the shields like that! No way.

Captain Phasma was all style and no substance. She came across as extremely incompetent. A missed opportunity for the film, but maybe she'll have a bigger role in the next films.

Saw it a 4th time with the 6 and 4 year old. Their reaction was mostly good. The 4 year old was super upset when ren took rey, when han died and when Finn got hurt - but everyone loved the Saber fight.

I'll have to see it again. My initial reaction was really only Chewie being affected.

I also don't buy him being relatively unknown: captain of the Millenium Falcon, instrumental in the Battles of Yavin and Endor. General in the Rebellion. Along with Luke and Leia, they are almost mythic figures for the Resistance. There is no way the Resistance didn't at least know of Han and that he was raiding the Starkiller base. Granted they probably didn't even know he died until well after the battle. But aside from that, my impression was those closest to Han in the film (besides Chewie)weren't much affected by his death. There was a short boo hiss but not much more if I remember correctly. I'll pay more attention next time I see the film.

There is a cut to Leia when he dies showing that she felt his death (and, IMO, it was the one time Fisher managed to put in a decent performance, and got the grief Leia would feel across quite effectively).

its also worth nothing that there isn't a great deal of time to explore reactions to Han's death. It happens in the midst of a battle, and shortly afterwards the planet blows up. Things are a bit chaotic and don't really allow much time for lingering on Han's death.

There is a cut to Leia when he dies showing that she felt his death (and, IMO, it was the one time Fisher managed to put in a decent performance, and got the grief Leia would feel across quite effectively).

its also worth nothing that there isn't a great deal of time to explore reactions to Han's death. It happens in the midst of a battle, and shortly afterwards the planet blows up. Things are a bit chaotic and don't really allow much time for lingering on Han's death.

I realize that but was upset the film didn't include more. His death should have resonated more than it did. It's Han ffs! Maybe the next film will start with a memorial service for Han.

I mean, the only people who know he died in the film are Leia, Luke, Rey, Finn, Kylo and Chewie. 

All of them show grief and shock/horror, apart from Kylo (obviously). The only thing we see of the Resistance after Han dies is when the crew immediately get back, and since light speed travel is possible they probably didn't bother ringing ahead to say ''Han died'' (and because it's emotional). So the only way the resistance would know is if Leia told them, and I suspect no-one knows she's Force sensitive because that would be like having Superman as president - she chose the route of politics, not the Force, so she probably didn't tell anyone.

I'm glad they didn't spend any more time on Han's death, because the end of the film hits really hard without wasting time on scenes that can be in the next film - or just cut. Han dies, and after that we have the lightsaber fight. With very little preamble, Rey gets to Luke. By the time we see Luke we're still in shock from Han dying, it all happens that fast, and I think it benefits from that.

Apart from Chewie, that wasn't my impression.

Han's death felt cheap to me, kind of like Obi Wan's. But Han was always one of my favorites. It can be argued it was necessary for Kylo Ren's progression as a villain. I hope we have more reaction in the next two films.

Han's death felt cheap to me, kind of like Obi Wan's. But Han was always one of my favorites. It can be argued it was necessary for Kylo Ren's progression as a villain. I hope we have more reaction in the next two films.

I wouldn't be that surprised if Ford made dying a condition of his coming back. :lol: Like he supposedly made Indy 5 another condition. 

My reaction? When Rey sits in the captain's seat of the MF with Chewie at the end -- the 2nd time I watched it, I was like, "ooooohhhh..."

The old guard has passed on. 

Archived