Star Wars VII - The Spoiler Menace

Jon AS

The Rey and Leia moment was certainly odd, but I agree with Howdy that it might receive extra explanation later. If Rey is Luke's daughter then Leia might have just recognized her niece.

In the movie, when Finn comes pleading to Leia, she says that "Han already told me about the girl." What exactly did Han tell her? Only that Rey was captured, or maybe more. A certain familial connection, perhaps?

Well in addition to that, if anyone can empathise with being held prisoner on an enemy base and tortured for information its Leia. Plus, she knows Rey endangered herself to try and help the Resistance by taking in BB-8 and trying to get him back to them. Again somethig thatbwould resonate with Leia given her own past. Not to mention she just saw Chewie carrying someone clearly very close to Rey who was half-dead. So even without Rey being Luke's daughter (or Leia being unaware of the fact) there is sufficient reason for her to go to Rey like that 

Han certainly told her that Rey is a (potential) jedi after what happened with Luke's lightsaber. It's plausible Leia knows more than we or Han do about Rey's past, considering the Sydow character may have been on the same planet as her for a reason and possibly who she was waiting for. It explains the old helmet she has, it may be his and he may have returned to bring her to Luke (he's got the map after all).

I don't remember what exactly was shown in her flashback, though. All i can recall is the merchant and a ship flying away, which could've been him. It doesn't explicitly show her just being dropped off, does it? He may have stayed with her on the planet for some time, given her the helmet, and told her about awesome resistance stuff (which explains her admiration or w/e for it) before leaving.

What i'm trying to say is, the resistance/Leia knew about her but Han didn't.

I mean, she was immediately sent to Luke at the end and that may have been the plan all along. Oh my, i feel like i'm writing my own fanfic here. 

I find far more evidence suggesting that Han knew exactly who Rey was in the movie than that he didn't know anything about her. The scene where Maz asks him directly about her and then it cuts away is just one example. There is absolutely no reason to write that scene that way unless the characters are revealing information to each other off screen.

I really like all of the theories are behind who Rey is. My personal favorite is she is a clone of Luke's severed hand that was in the script almost the entire way through and then was cut (the hand gripping the lightsaber floating through space.) I am almost positive though that she is going to wind up being Luke's daughter. 

I find far more evidence suggesting that Han knew exactly who Rey was in the movie than that he didn't know anything about her. The scene where Maz asks him directly about her and then it cuts away is just one example. There is absolutely no reason to write that scene that way unless the characters are revealing information to each other off screen.

He throws her a few looks while they are in the Falcon that certainly seems to point towards him knowing who she was. It's most noticeable in the scene where she mentions having to go back home because she was waiting for someone to return. Han does a small double take thingy with a looks of extremely sympathy flashing across his face. 

I really like all of the theories are behind who Rey is. My personal favorite is she is a clone of Luke's severed hand that was in the script almost the entire way through and then was cut (the hand gripping the lightsaber floating through space.) I am almost positive though that she is going to wind up being Luke's daughter. 

I have to agree, he does seem to know more than the audience and probably quickly figured out who she is. So it's very likely he told Leia and that's it. 

But the idea was that Han didn't know she was on the planet before they meet, whereas the resistance/Leia did. He knows that there is a girl (that is X's daughter or related to X or w/e) or that a young student of Luke is alive and hidden while the resistance/Leia are aware of her location because they left her there.

while the resistance/Leia are aware of her location because they left her there..

I'm sceptical of any theory that has the resistance, Luke, or anyone else that cares about her, having left Rey with Plutt.

Han quite obviously works out who Rey is when she fixes the falcon in hyperspace and be goes quiet. Then when she says something along the lines of "I didn't think this much green existed in the whole galaxy" he looks visibility guilty. Then Maz asks who Rey is and then goes looking for Rey in the cellar and knows Rey has found Luke's lightsaber.

One of the reasons Rey appears to be a Mary Sue is that all the good characters seem to love her but actually they pretty much ignore her until they work out who she is.

I think we were supposed to get the cut "The force is strong in my family" speech that was in the trailer at the end of the film which is why Leia hugs Rey. There was probably a scene were Leia sends Rey to find Luke which we are missing.

I'm sceptical of any theory that has the resistance, Luke, or anyone else that cares about her, having left Rey with Plutt.

My personal theory is that when Kyle went bad, or even before out of fear, Rey's mother took off with her to hide her from Luke.  

For those of you that believe Han and Leia know who Rey is, do you believe Kylo Ren knows her? Or is she another one of those kids hidden from her relatives? If she is Luke's daughter, does he even know he has a daughter? I kind of like the idea of Luke not knowing Rey is his daughter if he is, in fact, her father. I also have a hard time believing Luke would just abandon her to Plutt. Maybe Han and Leia met Rey's mother and never told Luke of Rey. A bit too similar to Vader never knowing about his kids, but time is a circle, blah blah.

For those of you that believe Han and Leia know who Rey is, do you believe Kylo Ren knows her? Or is she another one of those kids hidden from her relatives? If she is Luke's daughter, does he even know he has a daughter? I kind of like the idea of Luke not knowing Rey is his daughter if he is, in fact, her father. I also have a hard time believing Luke would just abandon her to Plutt. Maybe Han and Leia met Rey's mother and never told Luke of Rey. A bit too similar to Vader never knowing about his kids, but time is a circle, blah blah.

Yes, he does. From the novel:

Rey appeared equally shocked that her reach for the device had exceeded his. She gazed down at the weapon now resting in her grip.

“It is you,” Ren murmured.

His words unsettled her: Not for the first time, he seemed to know more about her than she did about herself.

I like that theory, too. And from that theory, I came up with one that may unfold in the next movies:

The Knights of Ren are clones of Luke Skywalker.

If you look at the picture of Kylo Ren with the other knights, it kinda looks like the others are the same height, while Kylo towers over them.

The theory about Rey being the daughter of Luke's clone says that Palpatine wanted to create a clone to train in the ways of the dark side. I believe that he may have wanted to create a whole army of dark side users, but he died before that happened. Then Snoke discovered the plans and the DNA samples (or Luke's old clone) and re-started the program, which has not reached completion yet.

Snoke calls Kylo Ren the master of the Knights of Ren, which could imply that Snoke placed Kylo in charge of the clones, not that he is one of them. And Kylo Ren would find it ironic if, as a weapon against the Jedi and the Republic, he uses clones made from his hated uncle's DNA. Not to mention that he does seem to approve of the use of clones.

Now why do all those guys gathered around Kylo Ren have different costumes and weapons?

1) Deception - don't give anyone any idea who they are

2) The Clone Wars series has shown that clones are capable of developing individualistic personalities, so each garment could be a personal choice.

It's unclear to me if that's supposed to indicate that they've met before when she was little, or just his realization that the awakening he previously discussed feeling with Snoke was her.

It would seem somewhat redundant to me if it's the latter - that scene seems to take place during their fight at the end of the movie - he's already experienced her using the force on him when he tries to see into her mind, and he's already told Snoke how she's stronger with the force than she knows (leading Snoke to demand that Ren bring her to him,) and warned the stormtroopers that she'll become more powerful the longer she's free. I'd have to assume that he'd already worked out she was the one who had awoken, so to me, it very much indicates that he knows who she is.

It would seem somewhat redundant to me if it's the latter - that scene seems to take place during their fight at the end of the movie - he's already experienced her using the force on him when he tries to see into her mind, and he's already told Snoke how she's stronger with the force than she knows (leading Snoke to demand that Ren bring her to him,) and warned the stormtroopers that she'll become more powerful the longer she's free. I'd have to assume that he'd already worked out she was the one who had awoken, so to me, it very much indicates that he knows who she is.

The scene that told me that Ren knew who Rey was, or had a good idea who she was at the very least is when he is informed that the droid and Finn made it off the planet. At first, he just throws his temper tantrum at the electronics, but when the First Order officer mentions that there was a girl with them, he becomes deadly focused, asks about the girl, and force chokes the crap out of the dude.

My personal theory is that Kylo Ren is the one who left her on Jakku. Leaving her on a desert planet fits with his Vader obsesion. 

Yeah, I hadn't considered that. I think you're right. 

So you think he actually knows her rather than simply knowing of her?

I think he knew her when she was a youngling at Luke's school, and has always remembered that one little girl escaped his slaughtering of the students.

It's an interesting thing. It's pretty clear to me that he doesn't know who she is until at best that moment. It's pretty clear that Snoke is surprised that Ren can't best her, even with this power in the force that she has; he thinks quite highly of Ren's mental abilities apparently. 

With Luke almost crying I think that it's more likely Ren knows of her but doesn't know her very well. Like, he knows that he failed to kill all the Padawan and has been hiding that for a while, and attempting to 'atone' for it. 

My wife is absolutely 100% convinced that Rey is Luke's daughter. Not even a smidgen of doubt. I'm not quite as convinced - mostly because Luke abandoning her on Jakku to Unkar Plutt makes Luke the most fucking horrible dad in the history of ever and I hate that message - but I do think it's likely. 

Archived