Star Wars VII - The Spoiler Menace

Jon AS

The sentence about not there not being any Republic military officers part of the Resistance may be untrue. Ackbar was there, and after the battle of Endor he became the grand admiral of the New Republic fleet. In fact I was wondering why he wasn't the one in charge, considering his rank. The only explanation is that he must have resigned from that position, and is only nominally still called an admiral.

Maybe the Mon Calamari are one of the races that are occupied by The First Order. In that case I would think Ackbar would resign his commission with the Republic in order to take a role in the Resistance.

I'd be totally fine with Rey being Obi-Wan's. Would explain her accent, which is one of the oddities of the Star Wars universe - that only the aristocracy and the Empire had accents, and folks from backwater worlds don't. 

It would also bring an interesting circle back on the story - having Luke taught by Ben, and then having Ben's progeny taught by Luke. 

Mostly, I want whatever it is to be somewhat meaningful and cool. I want the payoff to not suck. Luke's father reveal was one of the most amazing things ever growing up; they're clearly setting something big up for Rey. 

Brief explanation of the Resistance and their relationship to the Republic.

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/21/10634568/star-wars-the-force-awakens-spoilers-republic-first-order

Now I don't see it that way at all.

This seems to be a much better explanation of what's going on in the galaxy during the lead up to the film.

I get the distinct impression the Resistance is very much that, it draws parallels to the various resistance movements in WWII. The government in charge either will not (because they suffer from arrogance or hubris that their republic cannot be challenged) or cannot act (because they have a non-aggression treaty or whatever to keep) upon the First Order so a resistance group pops up created by old guard rebels who know the threat is real.

In fact the whole affair seems similar to Germany's rise to power in the 1930's with various nations turning a blind eye or allowing them to build up their power base until it's too late. Everyone thought they were a broken nation, no threat to anyone even when they started to mobilize for war. Would the Nazis have made a similar "first strike" attack against their enemies had they access to a weapon like the atom bomb?

Now I don't see it that way at all.

This seems to be a much better explanation of what's going on in the galaxy during the lead up to the film.

I get the distinct impression the Resistance is very much that, it draws parallels to the various resistance movements in WWII. The government in charge either will not (because they suffer from arrogance or hubris that their republic cannot be challenged) or cannot act (because they have a non-aggression treaty or whatever to keep) upon the First Order so a resistance group pops up created by old guard rebels who know the threat is real.

In fact the whole affair seems similar to Germany's rise to power in the 1930's with various nations turning a blind eye or allowing them to build up their power base until it's too late. Everyone thought they were a broken nation, no threat to anyone even when they started to mobilize for war. Would the Nazis have made a similar "first strike" attack against their enemies had they access to a weapon like the atom bomb?

Yeah, I think that's part and parcel of the big picture. The New Republic is just that. It's new. It has to establish itself and can't afford a straight-up war with the First order, so it funds the Resistance covertly. I'm assuming that has changed with the destruction of an entire system that occurs in the movie. If that's not a clear declaration of war, I don't know what one is.

After watching TFA again, Han's knowledge of Rey's identity was at least hinted at several times throughout the film. Her being Obi Wan's kin would be great, but let's not fool ourselves; Star Wars was always the story of one family, the Skywalkers. I would be shocked were she not Luke's daughter. That being my assumption, I am still not certain Luke knows he has a daughter. I thought he sensed it at the end of the film. Rey not knowing Luke is her father is still not certain either. She thinks Luke is a myth, but that doesn't mean if she had known him, she knew her father was THE Luke Skywalker. I am still uncertain whether Kylo Ren knows her actual identity.

I paid closer attention to the score this time around and loved it. Rey's theme works so well. I also loved how it transitioned into the Jedi Steps at the end of the film with the culmination sounding like a battle between the light and dark sides of the Force when we finally see Luke.

Han's death was also better (gasp!) this time around. My recollection of it was foggier after the first viewing, but this second viewing raised my opinion of it. I still didn't like Chewie walking past Leia and standing with the other Resistance members celebrating, but there were short little shots after the battle of both Chewie and Leia mourning.

I also caught some of the cameos this time around: Jojen Reed, Odder the Younger, Daniel Craig, Warwick Davis, Carrie Fisher's daughter.

I was dwelling a little bit on how exactly Unkar Platt got the Millenium Falcon. It's too big of a coincidence that it's there with Unkar and Rey. I was brainstorming and thinking maybe it was the payment for Unkar watching over Rey. For that to be the case, Han's line about it being stolen several times would have to be fabricated. Still I'm very interested in who exactly dropped Rey on Jakku.

Also reading through the credits, there was an Indonesian translator. I was wondering when Indonesian was spoken and thought it might be the Kanjiklub.

After watching TFA again, Han's knowledge of Rey's identity was at least hinted at several times throughout the film. Her being Obi Wan's kin would be great, but let's not fool ourselves; Star Wars was always the story of one family, the Skywalkers. I would be shocked were she not Luke's daughter. That being my assumption, I am still not certain Luke knows he has a daughter. I thought he sensed it at the end of the film. Rey not knowing Luke is her father is still not certain either. She thinks Luke is a myth, but that doesn't mean if she had known him, she knew her father was THE Luke Skywalker. I am still uncertain whether Kylo Ren knows her actual identity.

The script at least says that Luke knows who Rey is, so I think it's probably unlikely that she's his daughter but he doesn't know it.

The script at least says that Luke knows who Rey is, so I think it's probably unlikely that she's his daughter but he doesn't know it.

Interesting. Color me shocked! We need to get them on Maury for a paternity test!

Interesting. Color me shocked! We need to get them on Maury for a paternity test!

Maybe. All it tells me is that what we figured was true (her being a Padawan of Luke's and escaping the massacre) is likely sound. Doesn't tell us anything about her parentage. 

Maybe. All it tells me is that what we figured was true (her being a Padawan of Luke's and escaping the massacre) is likely sound. Doesn't tell us anything about her parentage. 

Agreed, although I do think it probably indicates that if she is his daughter, that's not a secret from him.

Maybe she was a virgin birth like Anakin. ;)

Maybe she was a virgin birth like Anakin. ;)

or non-birthed but assembled from pure midichlorians.

Maury:  Midichlorians... the results are back... and you ARE Rey's father!!!!

Audience:  Awwwwww snap!!!!

Rey's mother:  See!  See!  I told you I wasn't no ho!

Midichlorian cluster:  ***Hangs it head in shame***

Total respect if that's true.

But on the humorous side:

Colin McGregor while being shot at by the enemy: "Ahh, flying is for drones!"

Colin McGregor and wingman while facing against enemy planes:

Wingman: "Bandits incoming!"

McGregor: "Let them pass between us."

Wingman: "What? They're 3 miles away, shoot your damn missiles!"

I was dwelling a little bit on how exactly Unkar Platt got the Millenium Falcon. It's too big of a coincidence that it's there with Unkar and Rey. I was brainstorming and thinking maybe it was the payment for Unkar watching over Rey. For that to be the case, Han's line about it being stolen several times would have to be fabricated. Still I'm very interested in who exactly dropped Rey on Jakku.

I think it was actually Rey who delineated the stealing of the Falcon. Han asked where she got it, she said she stole it from Platt, who stole it from etc etc. Then Han said to tell them that he was stealing it back. So it doesn't require Han to lie, just Rey to buy the cover story.

I think it was actually Rey who delineated the stealing of the Falcon. Han asked where she got it, she said she stole it from Platt, who stole it from etc etc. Then Han said to tell them that he was stealing it back. So it doesn't require Han to lie, just Rey to buy the cover story.

Yeah, I don't remember the exact line or the names she used, but that's how it went. Han asks Rey who had it, and she answers Unker Platt, who got it from X who got it from Y.

Yeah, I don't remember the exact line or the names she used, but that's how it went. Han asks Rey who had it, and she answers Unker Platt, who got it from X who got it from Y.

No, Han dropped a name first, and then Rey went down another name and then got to Platt. He said "

Who had it, Duplane?" She then said

"I got it from Platt, who stole it from the Harnden boys, who stole it from Duplane".

Archived