Star Wars VII - The Spoiler Menace

Jon AS

Oh, hey, we need a new thread.

From the last one:

Also, could anyone still planning to see it again keep an eye out: right at the start, where she first goes into her room on Jakku, the camera briefly focuses on a doll. It might just be a crude mock-up of an X-Wing pilot, which would also go with her putting on the helmet moments later (both childlike affectations, too) but I wasn't sure... it might be (dun dun DUN) a clue.

I tried to pay attention the second time around and I'm about 99% sure it's indeed an X-Wing pilot. If it's related to Rey's background I'm not sure I'd call it a clue, as it doesn't help us figure out anything about her and its significance will probably only be clear once we already have the answers.

In any case, it clearly shows that Rey's biggest flaw is inferior taste when it comes to starfighters.

Oh, hey, we need a new thread.

From the last one:

I tried to pay attention the second time around and I'm about 99% sure it's indeed an X-Wing pilot. If it's related to Rey's background I'm not sure I'd call it a clue, as it doesn't help us figure out anything about her and its significance will probably only be clear once we already have the answers.

In any case, it clearly shows that Rey's biggest flaw is inferior taste when it comes to starfighters.

It's one of many clues tying her to Luke. 

Wow, look at these idiots. This makes me want to see it again.

Sprung some cash today for a discounted Kylo Ren electronic lightsaber. For my daughter, actually, who wanted a 'red one' rather than be content with the Obi & Luke versions she got under the tree. As she's five, she still has a malleable sense of 'good' and 'evil' and was a little confused why Luke didn't want to hang out with dad at the end of Empire (I mean, Vader looks so cool to her, why wouldn't Luke do it?). I had to explain that Vader was 'bad.' Didn't change her mind about getting a red lightsaber, though.

Saw it by my self on Tuesday.  Taking my 5yo and wife tomorrow.   I expect to play 20 questions all throughout;  from both parties.  My wife is hardly a fan, only enjoying ANH.  But I think the humor and pace should work for her.  

Still going through the old threads and already sock of reading arguments against Ren.  

Seems like this happens far too often. Why do these people sell the rights in the first place if they can't deal with the inevitable product that is made. Lucas could have written his own ticket in regard to creative control, but he decided to sell it wholesale. Not sure that he has a leg to stand on here. 

That link gave me cancer.

Jay-zus...warn a guy before posting something like that. Why the hell did I read any of that?   Bunch damned fools and idiots.   Who also apparently do not understand math as well as how society actually works. 

And Disney's reaction to that "lost $4.2m"

Putting this in a separate post so as not to associate it with the above content.

This is from the George Lucas interview where he called Disney "white slavers":

"The other thing that got abused — naturally in a capitalist society, especially in American point of view — the studios said, ‘Wow, we can make a lot of money. This is a license to kill.’ And they did it. And of course the only way you can do that is to not take chances. Only do something that proven.”

I'm mostly not surprised to see this from Lucas these days, but the sheer hypocrisy is astounding. He oversaw the $20-30bn merchandising franchise around Star Wars. He put characters such as the Ewoks and Jar-Jar in the films to appeal to young children and sell more merchandise. He kept remastering and editing the movies and re-releasing them every few years.

If anything, Disney have showed more restraint than he ever did, cancelling the 3D re-releases of the entire franchise, and even the TFA marketing campaign wasn't as intense as the Phantom Menace one.

This was Gary Kurtz on Lucas and Lucasfilm (in 2010):

“The emphasis on the toys, it’s like the cart driving the horse,” Kurtz said. “If it wasn’t for that the films would be done for their own merits. The creative team wouldn’t be looking over their shoulder all the time.”

That article is worth a read btw - among other things, Kurtz talks about how Lucas never had a plan to make this epic tale across generations that he often talks about - Lucas wanted to make a Flash Gordon adaption, and the below, about changing the story for the benefit of toy sales:

“We had an outline and George changed everything in it,” Kurtz said. “Instead of bittersweet and poignant he wanted a euphoric ending with everybody happy. The original idea was that they would recover [the kidnapped] Han Solo in the early part of the story and that he would then die in the middle part of the film in a raid on an Imperial base. George then decided he didn’t want any of the principals killed. By that time there were really big toy sales and that was a reason.”

I'm grateful for Lucas' contributions towards cinema, but fuck his whining over predatory business practices. Remember, George Lucas was the guy who started that no-compete, wage-suppressing conspiracy that various tech and entertainment companies in California got sued over a while back. 

Sprung some cash today for a discounted Kylo Ren electronic lightsaber. For my daughter, actually, who wanted a 'red one' rather than be content with the Obi & Luke versions she got under the tree. As she's five, she still has a malleable sense of 'good' and 'evil' and was a little confused why Luke didn't want to hang out with dad at the end of Empire (I mean, Vader looks so cool to her, why wouldn't Luke do it?). I had to explain that Vader was 'bad.' Didn't change her mind about getting a red lightsaber, though.

Sounds like you've got a good kid under your roof. Dark Side For Life!!!

Archived