U.S. Politics: The Summer of Trump is Lasting Longer Than a Season in Westeros

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Here's Hillary directing a subordinate to remove classified markings and send info over an unsecure line. This is super illegal and shocking behavior to those of us with a security clearance. Now we know why she is under FBI investigation. 

As usual, Bernstein's got the GOP's number when it comes to "replacing Obamacare."

I remember arguing this with someone on this board back in 2012, when I pointed out that it had been a year since Republicans took the House with no replacement plan on the horizon. I was told, "Give it some time." Well, it's going on five years now--just how much time has to pass before we all concede that there will be no ACA replacement? None. Ever.

Voting in America has never been an inclusive affair, magnified by the fact that one of the two major parties actively wants fewer people to vote.

Fascinating indeed.

I have literally no idea what point you are trying to make, or what this random talking point is supposed to have to do with the topic at hand

Getting out and voting on issues you care about is not 'gaming the system'.  Period.

I have literally no idea what point you are trying to make, or what this random talking point is supposed to have to do with the topic at hand

Getting out and voting on issues you care about is not 'gaming the system'.  Period.

There it is. The famous Sworfish cop out.

"I have no idea what you are saying therefore you are wrong" is not a valid argument.

Lol BloodRider.

So we have our first poll since Obama announced his executive actions on gun control:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/07/politics/poll-obama-gun-action/

Major take aways:

67% support his plan of action

65% of independents support his plan of action

51% of Republicans support his plan of action

57% of gun owners support his plan of action

56% of rural residents support his plan of action

also:

Those who strongly favor the changes outnumber those who are strongly opposed by about a 2-to-1 margin: 43% say they are strongly in favor, 21% strongly opposed.

A Quinnipiac University poll in December found that 89% of Americans favored "a law requiring background checks on people buying guns at gun shows or online."

"I have no idea what you are saying therefore you are wrong" is not a valid argument.

All Swordfish did was point out that Tywin's response was a COMPLETE non-sequitur - which it was. The whole thread of the argument was supposedly about the NRA's outsize power to convince legislators to oppose laws that the people who voted for them actually want implemented. And Tywin's last statement was a non-sequitur about Republicans wanting fewer people to vote which, even if true (and for what it's worth, I agree that it's true) has nothing to do with the argument presented thus far. 

All Swordfish did was point out that Tywin's response was a COMPLETE non-sequitur - which it was. The whole thread of the argument was supposedly about the NRA's outsize power to convince legislators to oppose laws that the people who voted for them actually want implemented. And Tywin's last statement was a non-sequitur about Republicans wanting fewer people to vote which, even if true (and for what it's worth, I agree that it's true) has nothing to do with the argument presented thus far. 

You may not like the style, but is anything I've said wrong?

You may not like the style, but is anything I've said wrong?

It has nothing to do with "style." It's about what you are saying making sense in the context of the argument that you are making. Your comment had nothing to do with the argument you were supposedly making. It was just a jab at Republicans. Which, I totally get it. As I've already said, I don't even necessarily disagree with it as a factual matter. It just had nothing to do with what you were arguing about. 

Good thing, then, that that isn't the argument I made, isn't it?

I am delighted to hear that I'm famous though.  it's always been a dream of mine.

Here's Hillary directing a subordinate to remove classified markings and send info over an unsecure line. This is super illegal and shocking behavior to those of us with a security clearance. Now we know why she is under FBI investigation. 

Or, you know, she's saying to scrub it and send an unclass version.

I'm not saying what happened either way, but I'm just pointing out there is more than one way to look at things than just jumping to your most damning conclusion.

Classified data? Are we using the same language? Being Canadian and all maybe I am missing something.

The markings aren't data. They are there to indicate that the attached data is classified.

So in commodore's scenario you are required to store and transport classified data according to rigid protocols, and simply removing the markings to avoid the appearance of circumventing security is pretty fucking heinous in our (people with clearances) world.

NPR is reporting this:

http://www.npr.org/2016/01/08/462432787/clinton-emails-raise-questions-over-secure-faxes-and-an-old-friends-influence

One particular email drew scrutiny Friday — a June 17, 2011, exchange between Clinton and adviser Jake Sullivan. In that email string, she tells Sullivan she did not receive the evening's talking points — typically specifics used to speak to the press and for briefings.

"They say they've had issues sending secure fax. They're working on it," he writes to Clinton. She responds, "If they can't, turn into nonpaper w no identifying heading and send nonsecure."

Much of the email, including its subject line, were redacted, making it difficult to discern the topic and full context of the document.

At Friday's briefing, State Department spokesman John Kirby declined to talk about Clinton's email practices specifically but said the State Department searched the system and "could find no evidence and no indication that the talking points, the documents in question in that email was emailed to Secretary Clinton."

He also pointed out that it is not uncommon for unclassified documents to be created, edited and shared on a classified system. In other words, just because something is on a classified system doesn't mean it was classified.

White House press secretary Josh Earnest was also asked about the document, but he said he wasn't familiar with the particulars and referred reporters to Clinton's campaign. An NPR request to the Clinton campaign for comment has not yet been returned.

Still not enough info to know wtf is actually going on, but the here reported context of "talking points" suggests against it being actual classified information to me. In that talking points are disseminated to the public. Basically by definition. But maybe it's for a meeting about classified information? Who the heck knows at this stage.

Archived