College Basketball 2016: Wide Open on the Way to March

Rhom

As a Murray State alum, I have been an unabashed supporter of Steve Prohm at ISU.  Ordinarily, seeing his team play well and upset Kansas at home would be something I would laud.  However... as primarily a fan of the next team up on Kansas' schedule, I will readily admit that I was rooting for Kansas to win the game by 40 and return to Allen Fieldhouse fatted and content.

This game Saturday is really something different than I expected.  Both teams spent good chunks of the offseason worrying about the eligibility of the big guys Skal and Diallo; and now it looks like combined the two of them may play less than 10 minutes.

13 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Shaq has such a way about him, that you can play it off as if he were just kidding... but at the same time, we know he isn't.  :lol: 

On 1/26/2016 at 4:28 PM, Rhom said:

Shaq has such a way about him, that you can play it off as if he were just kidding... but at the same time, we know he isn't.  :lol: 

That's pretty much how I read it.  When I randomly ran into Joe Crawford once upon a time at a Speedway (local gas station chain) in Lexington and he was driving a shiny black Escalade with spinners, I certainly thought, "yep, his parents bought that for him as a college gift." ;)

Otherwise, I know I've been on hiatus.  The new forum is such a chore.  But I had to make a presence with the upcoming game at Allen Fieldhouse coming up Saturday.  GO CATS!  (don't overlook Mizzou tonight!)

[edited for my crappy grammar]

4 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

You do know that Missouri is probably the worst power 5 basketball team this year don't you?  Your guys could have "overlooked" Missouri and still won by 20.

Yeah for sure, but Missouri beat Auburn by 15. Auburn beat us by 5.  I expected us to win, but not like that.  I'm worried we wasted all our good karma tonight.  :/ 

Any thoughts on the Florida Gators?  I know we have a handful of Gator fans around but I don't think I've seen them in the bball threads this season.  Or maybe I haven't been playing close enough attention.

either way the Mountaineers drew the Gators for the Big 12 / SEC challenge this weekend.  It's on the road which is always tough and with WVU ranked in the top 10 it's a good opportunity for a team like Florida to log a quality win for their March resume.  I haven't seen Florida play so i don't know how nervous I should be.

I'm gonna watch the game later on DVR because it's at the same time as another Big 12 / SEC matchup that I am going to attend in Vanderbilt @ Texas.  Will be my first live college game in a while so I'm looking forward to it.  My girlfriend is going as well and as she is a UT alumnus, thus I'll be doing myself a favor by cheering on the Longhorns... even though I am still pissed that they beat WVU the other week.  Hoping to catch WVU when they come to Austin in Feb so I can return to the Erwin Center and, that time, cheer against the Horns.

I really should go to more games, the Frank Erwin center is literally just a mile and a half from my house.  Its only like a 30 minute walk!  I just tend to travel a lot during bball season so it's hard to plan.

Listening to Cal's Postgame comments, he's giving Allen Fieldhouse the radio equivalent of a good felating.  Going on and on about Naismith, Phog, Rupp, and how he (Cal) met his wife when coaching at Kansas.  Says The Phog is the loudest arena in the country.

He told the crowd, "Now listen.  You gotta understand.  Kansas has lost three times at home... In the last ten years.":lol: 

9 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

Yeah for sure, but Missouri beat Auburn by 15. Auburn beat us by 5.  I expected us to win, but not like that.  I'm worried we wasted all our good karma tonight.  :/ 

Not a great comparison. Auburn lives and dies by the three more than any team in the country. If they're hitting them, they have a chance to beat anyone (as they proved against UK). If not, they can lose to a horrible Mizzou or by 17 to mediocre/injury-hobbled Ole Miss (like happened last night :p).  

9 hours ago, S John said:

Any thoughts on the Florida Gators?  I know we have a handful of Gator fans around but I don't think I've seen them in the bball threads this season.  Or maybe I haven't been playing close enough attention.

either way the Mountaineers drew the Gators for the Big 12 / SEC challenge this weekend.  It's on the road which is always tough and with WVU ranked in the top 10 it's a good opportunity for a team like Florida to log a quality win for their March resume.  I haven't seen Florida play so i don't know how nervous I should be.

Switchback has piped in about them a couple of times in the thread. They're pretty solid, certainly better than last year and projected as a fringe tournament team by most bracket experts. If y'all had them at home I'd call it a comfortable WVU win, but Gainesville is a tough gym to play in so I think it'll be close.

13 hours ago, Rhom said:

Listening to Cal's Postgame comments, he's giving Allen Fieldhouse the radio equivalent of a good felating.  Going on and on about Naismith, Phog, Rupp, and how he (Cal) met his wife when coaching at Kansas.  Says The Phog is the loudest arena in the country.

He told the crowd, "Now listen.  You gotta understand.  Kansas has lost three times at home... In the last ten years.":lol: 

I've had an ominous feeling about this game since I first found out it was at the Phog.  I still don't feel any better about it.  Especially after, um, last year.  :leaving:

ETA:  Best Worst Free Throw of the Year!

4 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Switchback has piped in about them a couple of times in the thread. They're pretty solid, certainly better than last year and projected as a fringe tournament team by most bracket experts. If y'all had them at home I'd call it a comfortable WVU win, but Gainesville is a tough gym to play in so I think it'll be close.

Yea I figured as much.  WVU really needs the win also, though.  Following the Florida game up with @ Iowa State, Baylor, and @ Kansas.  I don't expect us to win out or anything but I really want to avoid going into a tailspin at any point where we lose more than a couple in a row.  Losing @ Florida is just a bad start to the next 2 weeks of challenging games.

Big match for VCU tomorrow night at Davidson. I think we're a better team but it's always tough to win there with Jack Gibbs. This is one of three games we must win if we want to make the tournament. Given our terrible OOC record, wins like these are huge. It's on ESPN2 if anyone is interested in watching.

Archived