Acrophilia #11: ... and the winner is ...

Julia H.

I love the music video. :)

I was too tired last night to count and now I must run, but I'll reveal the authors so you can start discussing your clues without restrictions. :D

ROUND THREE AUTHORS 

1. About titans wildling impassioned sang.

Answer: Ygritte.

Explanation: She started singing the song The Last of the Giants. Some other wildlings joined (but not Mance), and Ygritte also wept for the giants (impassioned). Later giants remind Jon Snow of Ygritte.

Author: a shadow

Other guesses: Bael, Dareon

2. Ever readily begins. Reply makes ends arise.

Answer: Arthur Dayne

Explanation: The Sword of the Morning, wielding Dawn, has the following dialogue with Ned Stark:

"And now it begins," said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

"No," Ned said with sadness in his voice. "Now it ends." 

Author: Dolorous Gabe

Other guesses: Sansa, Gared

3. Erstwhile running boy, royal moron. Egregious assassination.

Answer: Viserys Targaryen (Third of his Name)

Explanation: Running boy refers to Viserys being a refugee as a child. Royal because of his descent, and moron because of his behaviour. We all know how he died.

Author: Lady Blizzardborn

Other guesses: Lancel

4. Earnest, resolute, blue. Really...murderer??? Error, actually.

Answer: Brienne the Blue

Explanation: A description of Brienne’s personality (and “favourite” colour) as well as allusion to the fact that she was falsely accused of having killed Renly, when in fact the shadow baby did it.

Author: She Who Must Be Obeyed

Other guesses: Theon

5. Announces title wearing icy shield.

Answer: Jon Snow

My clue *ducks to avoid arrows*, don’t be tempted to vote for it.

Explanation: The night before the Passage of the Wildlings, Jon Snow has a dream where he is alone atop the Wall, abandoned by all except the scarecrow brothers. He is armoured in black ice, wielding a burning sword. The attackers are trying to climb the Wall, and Jon Snow suddenly notices that he is fighting dead loved ones. He shouts “I am the Lord of Winterfell!” (a title) just before Robb appears.

Author: Julia H.

Other guesses: Stannis, Benjen Stark, Cersei

6. Enmity aroused, being 'rapist, monster', egregious affair.

Answer: Rhaegar Targaryen

Explanation: Enmity between Rhaegar and Robert, who refers to Rhaegar with those words (hence the quotation marks). The result is war and death.

Author: Fragile Bird

Other guesses: Tyion, The Hound, Jaime

7.  Extra "rope" borne round, manifesting earned authority.

Answer: Khal Drogo

Explanation: The “rope” is his long braid that is never cut because Drogo is never defeated in battle, which makes him a leader.

Author: Ser Not Appearing

Other guesses: Pycelle

8. Elected 'Rex'. Baseborn relative. Mangled, evilly assassinated.

Answer: Robb Stark

Explanation: Robb was elected king. He has a bastard half-brother. Red Wedding.

Author: rocksniffer

Other guesses: Robert, Robb Snow

9. “Abomination, troll!” Warden. Intelligent. Sneaky.

Answer: Tywin Lannister

Explanation: Tywin’s attitude to his younger son, his office and personality.

Troll means ‘Tyrion’ here, which really fits, because trolls are sometimes “dwarfs” and sometimes giants. Tyrion is a dwarf but is called a giant repeatedly.

Author: lil’ ghost

Other guesses: Wyman Manderly, Tyrion

Theme: Characters that have appeared in other characters’ dreams.

I had another option for Arthur Dayne and struggled to decide between them. The other one was:

A Tower's Woe In Sunrise

I felt like it adequately directed to ToJ but perhaps not quite adequately pinpointed who at the ToJ (I liked Sunrise but it was quite vague).

I also felt later that I maybe should have left "begins" and "ends" either italicised or in quotation marks, which I removed thinking it might make it too easy.

20 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I had another option for Arthur Dayne and struggled to decide between them. The other one was:

A Tower's Woe In Sunrise

I felt like it adequately directed to ToJ but perhaps not quite adequately pinpointed who at the ToJ (I liked Sunrise but it was quite vague).

I also felt later that I maybe should have left "begins" and "ends" either italicised or in quotation marks, which I removed thinking it might make it too easy.

After i decided that "ends" didn't refer to houses, I kept reading your clue as a creative way to say someone's hair stood on end based on another's reply. That ultimately led me nowhere.

24 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

After i decided that "ends" didn't refer to houses, I kept reading your clue as a creative way to say someone's hair stood on end based on another's reply. That ultimately led me nowhere.

Would you have preferred my other option or is it too difficult to say knowing the answer?

The other option was obvious in terms of subject but I may not have gotten the sunrise reference to Dawn or maybe I would have but if have had trouble deciding whether it was a direct reference to Dayne or Ned who was in sunrise's presence and more directly associates it all with woe.

I prefer your chosen clue. I just didn't get it.

I did not solve the fifth. I misinterpreted what Julia said, thinking she was saying that I definitely solved it, so I left it alone. But to be fair, I not only do not remember the dream Jon had, I am not sure I read it. My reading of the books.. is... shaky :blush: 

And I did badly with the second. Reading it first I thought it might refer to Valar Doheris/Valar Morghulis, but it only took a few moments to remember that it is Valar Dohaeris that is the reply. Then I thought the second part could refer to Others raising wights, and (like Ser) that it doubles as scary (hair-rising).  So I considered Wymar Royce (He was a prologue character (ever readily begins), and then all the other stuff). After I took a hint "Reply is given by a northern lord", I thought that it must be Gared (his are the first word in the series, and his unsatisfying replies to questions after got Eddard Stark raisin a sword, which was the end of him). And then I took another hint... :blush: That the character is "All about beginnings", and I thought it must be Azor Ahai :laugh: Because I wanted the Great Other to be the "Northern lord" who gives the reply.

I solved it when I stopped asking for clues and really thought about it. 

I thought Khal Drogo clue was Obara Sand clue at first, and that Viserys clue was Dontos, who first was a squire and then royal fool. 

2 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Pycelle is a fair guess, I suppose.

i had pycelle in my prelims...rope = chain in my mind for a long time...longer chain more authority...but after i knew how many i had wrong and the ones i was certain of i had to rethink... and of course the bell hint was key...

2 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

A Tower's Woe In Sunrise

i liked this clue...i had no guess in prelims for it but as i kept searching the words the quote kept coming up but i ignored it...

i focused on end as death but beginning as birth... hints fixed that

and i was convinced this was julia's clue so i was not trying to make dayne fit (since i assumed her character would not be part of the theme, my mistake) and i went through every thing about dayne looking for hints, everyone had been to a castle or palace, been in or near a tower, did/or took a shit in the morning.... aaarrrrggggghhhhhhhh

i must say this round was the most difficult i have played...but i now see how cool the clues were...

but the theme was just too illusive for me...

and any points i earned i spent...such is life

:smoking:

7 minutes ago, a shadow said:

<snip>

I thought Khal Drogo clue was Obara Sand clue at first, and that Viserys clue was Dontos, who first was a squire and then royal fool. 

exactly so did i and the first hint was "silver turns gold?" i think it was, and this made it even more dontos as the silver necklace was going to turn into gold for him but didn't when he was killed...i considered renly, first, who is identified in the text and wiki as always running through the castle, is royal but is foolish in trying to take crown from stannis....also in the wiki it describes him as depending on his charisma vs book learning...but the silver to gold put me on dontos....until the mark twain hint of hints, two characters in one from a mark twain novel...the prince and the pauper...viserys all day long

without the hints i would have stayed in the weeds with my 3 right prelim answers and not much else...

I'm sorry for making you wait for so long. The wolf pups at the school were especially wolfish today (wolf blood and all), and then I had other things to do.

But now... Stay tuned! :cool4:

Finally, the scores. Please, double-check the calculation.

ROUND THREE SCORES

a shadow

Guessing points: 21    

Theme points: 0   

Points spent: 9  

Author points: 4   

Favourite clue points: 1

Voting points: 1                              

Bonus points: -                               

Total: 18

Dolorous Gabe

Guessing points: 24   

Theme points: 4   

Points spent: 4 

Favourite clue points: 3

Bonus points: 5   

Total: 37

Lady Blizzardborn 

Guessing points: 24    

Points spent: 10 

Favourite clue points: 1

Total: 20

She Who Must Be Obeyed

Guessing points:  24   

Points spent: 3   

Favourite clue points: 3

Bonus points: 0    

Total: 29

Fragile Bird

Points spent: 6 

Favourite clue points: 0

Total: 20

Ser Not Appearing 

Guessing points: 6     

Theme points: 2

Points spent: 0 

Author points:  4 

Total: 13

rocksniffer

Points spent: 7 

Total: 19

lil’ ghost

Points spent: 3 

Total: 8

Castellan

Theme points: 4     

Points spent: 0 

Author points: 0 

Voting points: 0                              

Total: 10

The round was won by the inventor of this fantastic game, Dolorous Gabe, who correctly guessed all the clues as well as the theme and is the author of one of the most puzzling and at the same time most popular clues. He was the only player to discover the theme until – in the very last hours of the round – a new player joined, submitted a list of clue guesses and guessed the theme correctly! (Welcome back, Castellan!) The runner-up is She Who Must Be Obeyed, who guessed all the clues while spending very few points on hints. Her Brienne clue is the other most popular clue of the round. Other players who achieved maximum or near maximum guessing points in this very exciting round were Lady Blizzardborn, Fragile Bird, rocksniffer and a shadow.  

FINAL SCORE

a shadow: 71 + 18 = 89

Dolorous Gabe: 50 + 37 = 87

Fragile Bird: 58 + 20 = 78

rocksniffer: 56 + 19 = 75

She Who Must Be Obeyed: 28 + 29 = 57

Ser Not Appearing: 40 + 13 = 53

lil’ ghost: 26 + 8 = 34

Lady Blizzardborn.: 10 + 20 = 30

Castellan: 10

And the winner is … a mysterious and elusive shadow :ninja:, who took the lead in the first two rounds and stayed ahead of the chasing pack despite the excellent performance of other players. Dolorous Gabe wins the silver medal finishing only two points behind the winner after a very strong performance in the last round. The bronze medal goes to Fragile Bird, who flies three points ahead of the chasing rocksniffer – both of them are previous round winners.  

Congratulations to a shadow:cheers:

Finally, let me take the opportunity to thank you all for joining this game and for turning it into such a pleasure for me with your dedication, wit and sportsmanship. If you enjoyed this game at least half as much as I did, then I can hope that you will forget whatever blunders I made and remember only the good things. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Wow that was closer than I expected.

I blame Ser for stumping me with 2 stupid clues :P

Congrats, oh shadowy one :ninja:

Good game, everyone. It's nice to have the game back up and running.

And thank you so much for hosting Julia. You were are wonderful! :cheers:

thanks for hosting Julia! that last round was super tough. good game everyone!

I dunno if I can muster up the courage to play another game, but I guess I'll see what happens. I should just get with rocksniffer and just know that I'm going to be at the bottom. :lol:

yes a big high five to julia for keeping me up nights, and for saving me the cost of a haircut...since i have pulled it all out trying to get the theme...:bang:

i have decided i better reread dance with dragons all 5 books 'cause my dream knowledge is painfully weak... :read:

congrats to you who bested me :cheers:

...and to those who blocked me from my stated goal by scoring fewer points than i...only one thing left to say...

...get off my lawn 

41 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Julia, I think you forgot to give me all the favorite clue points I must have earned this game...

Not at all. Actually, I multiplied their number by five before adding it to your score. 

Archived