Acrophilia #11: ... and the winner is ...

Julia H.

6 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Did you expect anything more?  :P

not really but a man can hope... :idea:

5 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I might have two or three right now. Real Ser's don't buy clues.

well man i wasn't proud i bought hints for every one and 2 for most...

...all y'all were drinking from the sick, twisted cup...

:smoking:

I ended up buying a second hint to the 5th clue. I didn't buy one for the 9th. Other than the 9th, only one other clue did I not buy a hint to.

A few of them I accept I was either lazy in buying a clue when I could have researched and figured it out or silly for not seeing it.

I think sometimes having the purchasable hint makes me lazy, but it is also sometimes useful if I simply don't have the time to do the necessary research.

4 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I think you have about 6 hours to join me in the den of tranquility  :D

make that the dungeon of debauchery and it might be worth the trip.... 

and now for the final theme guess.....

the theme is an illusion...it exists only in the 5th dimension

when the moon is in the house of tarth...and jupiter aligns with freys...then chaos will guide planetos...and death will guide the starks ...

On 3/7/2016 at 9:43 PM, Ser Not Appearing said:

I might have two or three right now. Real Ser's don't buy clues.

I bought about 20 hints (not sure), even for clues I was sure of. 

Because it was something to do and because if you would give me a house, I tear it down, just to see how the piping works :ninja: 

The host had a mountain of patience. It must have been terrible for them.

Good luck.

ROUND THREE CLUES AND ANSWERS

1. About titans wildling impassioned sang.

Answer: Ygritte.

Explanation: She started singing the song The Last of the Giants. Some other wildlings joined (but not Mance), and Ygritte also wept for the giants (impassioned). Later giants remind Jon Snow of Ygritte.

2. Ever readily begins. Reply makes ends arise.

Answer: Arthur Dayne

Explanation: The Sword of the Morning, wielding Dawn, has the following dialogue with Ned Stark:

"And now it begins," said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

"No," Ned said with sadness in his voice. "Now it ends." 

3. Erstwhile running boy, royal moron. Egregious assassination.

Answer: Viserys Targaryen (Third of his Name)

Explanation: Running boy refers to Viserys being a refugee as a child. Royal because of his descent, and moron because of his behaviour. We all know how he died.

4. Earnest, resolute, blue. Really...murderer??? Error, actually.

Answer: Brienne the Blue

Explanation: A description of Brienne’s personality (and “favourite” colour) as well as allusion to the fact that she was falsely accused of having killed Renly, when in fact the shadow baby did it.

5. Announces title wearing icy shield.

Answer: Jon Snow

My clue *ducks to avoid arrows*, don’t be tempted to vote for it.

Explanation: The night before the Passage of the Wildlings, Jon Snow has a dream where he is alone atop the Wall, abandoned by all except the scarecrow brothers. He is armoured in black ice, wielding a burning sword. The attackers are trying to climb the Wall, and Jon Snow suddenly notices that he is fighting dead loved ones. He shouts “I am the Lord of Winterfell!” (a title) just before Robb appears.

6. Enmity aroused, being 'rapist, monster', egregious affair.

Answer: Rhaegar Targaryen

Explanation: Enmity between Rhaegar and Robert, who refers to Rhaegar with those words (hence the quotation marks). The result is war and death.

7.  Extra "rope" borne round, manifesting earned authority.

Answer: Khal Drogo

Explanation: The “rope” is his long braid that is never cut because Drogo is never defeated in battle, which makes him a leader.

8. Elected 'Rex'. Baseborn relative. Mangled, evilly assassinated.

Answer: Robb Stark

Explanation: Robb was elected king. He has a bastard half-brother. Red Wedding.

9. “Abomination, troll!” Warden. Intelligent. Sneaky.

Answer: Tywin Lannister

Explanation: Tywin’s attitude to his younger son, his office and personality.

Troll means ‘Tyrion’ here, which really fits, because trolls are sometimes “dwarfs” and sometimes giants. Tyrion is a dwarf but is called a giant repeatedly.

Theme: Characters that have appeared in other characters’ dreams.

Ygritte: Appears in Jon Snow’s dreams. Once they bathe in the hot pools of Winterfell with Eddard watching through the weirwood, and Ygritte also appears in Jon’s “Lord of Winterfell” dream described above.

Arthur Dayne: Appears in Eddard’s fever dream and in Jaime’s weirwood dream.

Viserys: Appears to Dany in a dream at the end of Dance. They chat.

Brienne: Appears in Jaime’s weirwood dream.

Jon Snow: Appears in Bran’s coma dream. Also shows up in a dream that Sam has.

Rhaegar: Appears in Jaime’s weirwood dream.

Drogo: Appears in Dany’s dream. Together they ride dragons instead of horses.

Robb Stark: Appears in Theon’s “Feast of the Dead” dream and Jon’s “Lord of Winterfell” dream.

Tywin Lannister: Also appears in Jaime’s weirwood dream.

The special theme hint was that my clue (Jon Snow) described a dream scene. Technically, the Arthur Dayne clue did the same, but there the choice was limited. In the case of Jon, the use of a dream scene might have seemed a bit more peculiar.

Don’t forget to vote!

Deadline for voting: 10 p.m. Central European Time Wednesday 9th March

Damn it.  I see where I screwed up.

In my first set of prelims, I had Jon Snow for the answer, and when filling in the rest of the names I accidentally put in Robb Snow instead of Robb Stark.  The weird thing when you do something like that is that you can look at it and not see it, so when Julia told me I had 4 right, I actually had 5 right.  I was absolutely positive about Robb Stark, so I thought Jon Snow must be another member of the Night's Watch, and I went with Benjen because it had to be a Stark.

Julia said to me, I don't know what to say about your guess to #8, and I thought she was yanking my chain because it had to be Robb Stark.  I mean, when I looked at it, I was reading Robb Stark even though Robb Snow was there.

I shoulda had a complete set of right answers.  :(

well i also had benjen for my nightswatch member ...with the rest right <_<

cause he was the only one of the night'swatch who i read as alone....he rode off on a ranging and was presumably left alone....

and i was sure clue 2 was the hint within a hint.... so i never considered dayne as a part of the theme....

ah well shit does happen congrats Gabe old chum...and who ever else pulled dreams out of their ass....

oh and yeah they all have some eye color that contains blue

blue grey - ygritte

blue - dayne

purple - viserys (blue + red)

blue - brienne

blue - benjen

indigo - rhaegar

black - drogo (all colors including blue)

blue - robb

green - tywin (blue + yellow)

now read that shit and weep....

and hey darling host...i thought your clue was not part of the theme just a hint to the theme

30 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

and hey darling host...i thought your clue was not part of the theme just a hint to the theme

No, I didn't say that (it was only last round). I only said there is a theme hint in it if you solve it.

58 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Damn it.  I see where I screwed up.

In my first set of prelims, I had Jon Snow for the answer, and when filling in the rest of the names I accidentally put in Robb Snow instead of Robb Stark.  The weird thing when you do something like that is that you can look at it and not see it, so when Julia told me I had 4 right, I actually had 5 right.  I was absolutely positive about Robb Stark, so I thought Jon Snow must be another member of the Night's Watch, and I went with Benjen because it had to be a Stark.

Julia said to me, I don't know what to say about your guess to #8, and I thought she was yanking my chain because it had to be Robb Stark.  I mean, when I looked at it, I was reading Robb Stark even though Robb Snow was there.

I shoulda had a complete set of right answers.  :(

I really thought you were joking at first, and only later became suspicious that you might not be. 

10 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I think I got two... but I should get at least partial points on my theme guess and potentially full points, depending on leniency.

:unsure: Leniency? :unsure:

Archived