What is the most popular theory about Coldhands identity?

Many many years ago there was something called the raven's teeth, a company of longbow men, who were commanded by Bloodraven.

When Bloodraven was sent to the Wall, many of these raven teeth followed and took the black like him.  I believe Coldhands to be one of them.

Well not to blow my own horn, but I rather like my own theory that he's former Lord Commander Hoare.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/134918-coldhands-is-former-lord-commander-hoare/

Yes I "fill in the gaps" a bit because we only ever hear one sentence about Hoare, and most of that gap filling is really just extra stuff that could be evidence only if certain other things need to be explained (like does Coldhands have a neck wound, who resurrected Coldhands, etc.) But otherwise there's solid connections IMO that are really the core pieces of the theory:

• One of the few descriptive features we get about Coldhands is that he has black eyes. Members of House Hoare have black eyes
  • Coldhands is a former brother, and Hoare was obviously in the Night's Watch
  • Coldhands knows secrets of the Nightfort that modern day brothers don't know about. The Nightfort was abandoned 200 years ago, so Coldhands should be a brother pre-100AC and not a modern brother. Hoare was Lord Commander in 0AC and therefore fits that.
  • Expanding on the above, the Nightfort was the largest and oldest castle, so it makes sense that prior to its abandonment that it would have been the seat of the Lord Commander. Hoare was Lord Commander so he would have ruled out of the Nightfort and is therefore one of the best possible people to know that there's a secret door in the well of the kitchen over some random brother.

I think the most popular theory is that he's a random NW corpse that's being animated by BR.  I suppose his body could be from someone in particular from the history of the watch but I don't think it will be relevant going forward.  just a a fun Easter egg if anything.

to me, the real relevance of him being "wighted" by 3ER/BR is to cause us to question whether he really has Brans (or mankinds) interests at heart.  Even if he does, it's still damn creepy and suggests a darker turn to Bran than simply "level up and beat the bad guys".

2 hours ago, A spoon of knife and fork said:

I think the most popular theory is that he's a random NW corpse that's being animated by BR.  I suppose his body could be from someone in particular from the history of the watch but I don't think it will be relevant going forward.  just a a fun Easter egg if anything.

to me, the real relevance of him being "wighted" by 3ER/BR is to cause us to question whether he really has Brans (or mankinds) interests at heart.  Even if he does, it's still damn creepy and suggests a darker turn to Bran than simply "level up and beat the bad guys".

This is the theory I subscribe to, and the reason why. Having learned more about GRRM's other writings, particularly those where he deals with blended consciousness and nature worshipers, there's a strong chace what Bran has been told thus far is missing some key details. It's also not that hard to believe the Children of the Forest don't have humanity's best interests at heart, and BR having spent his whole life getting scorned and hated by his fellow humans may not have left him in the happiest of places.

When the forum suffered it's update last year there was a really interesting topic on Coldhands being a warg who was warged.    I realize this doesn't answer the question,of identity, but it's a damned spooky idea.   Coldhands himself states that he's "your monster Brandon Stark" which could be taken at least 2 ways, that he is Bran's monster or that he is a monster named Brandon Stark.   I listen to the books so all I can offer is the way Roy Dotrice reads it, which could also be taken either way.    A lot of help I am.  Sorry. 

2 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

When the forum suffered it's update last year there was a really interesting topic on Coldhands being a warg who was warged.    I realize this doesn't answer the question,of identity, but it's a damned spooky idea.   Coldhands himself states that he's "your monster Brandon Stark" which could be taken at least 2 ways, that he is Bran's monster or that he is a monster named Brandon Stark.   I listen to the books so all I can offer is the way Roy Dotrice reads it, which could also be taken either way.    A lot of help I am.  Sorry. 

Yeah, I like this. My own theory is that he's the Night's King (who Old Nan hinted was named Brandon, if I remember correctly) trying to atone for his crimes. 

5 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Yeah, I like this. My own theory is that he's the Night's King (who Old Nan hinted was named Brandon, if I remember correctly) trying to atone for his crimes. 

Coldhands is still wearing his NW's cloak. That seems to be old and brittle and rotten, but not some thousend years old. So I don't think he is the nights king. One of Bloodraven's archers seems to be the better choice.

13 hours ago, King of the Narrow Sea said:

Well not to blow my own horn, but I rather like my own theory that he's former Lord Commander Hoare.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/134918-coldhands-is-former-lord-commander-hoare/

Yes I "fill in the gaps" a bit because we only ever hear one sentence about Hoare, and most of that gap filling is really just extra stuff that could be evidence only if certain other things need to be explained (like does Coldhands have a neck wound, who resurrected Coldhands, etc.) But otherwise there's solid connections IMO that are really the core pieces of the theory:

• One of the few descriptive features we get about Coldhands is that he has black eyes. Members of House Hoare have black eyes
  • Coldhands knows secrets of the Nightfort that modern day brothers don't know about. The Nightfort was abandoned 200 years ago, so Coldhands should be a brother pre-100AC and not a modern brother. Hoare was Lord Commander in 0AC and therefore fits that.
  • Expanding on the above, the Nightfort was the largest and oldest castle, so it makes sense that prior to its abandonment that it would have been the seat of the Lord Commander. Hoare was Lord Commander so he would have ruled out of the Nightfort and is therefore one of the best possible people to know that there's a secret door in the well of the kitchen over some random brother.

That would finally answer the question "Where do Hoares go?"

6 hours ago, Hodor's Aunt said:

Coldhands is still wearing his NW's cloak. That seems to be old and brittle and rotten, but not some thousend years old. So I don't think he is the nights king. One of Bloodraven's archers seems to be the better choice.

He could've gotten a new cloak, in a parallel with Mance. Plus, Leaf said they killed him long ago, and "long ago" could very well be thousands of years for near-immortal beings like the Children. 

I'm being semi serious. I have often wondered if Coldhands is the deceased LC Mormont.The only reason it keeps creeping into my mind is:

"Yours," the raven echoed, from his shoulder. Outside the door, the ravens in the trees took up the cry, until the night wood echoed to the murderer's song of "Yours, yours, yours." DwD Bran I

I have been looking into the idea but I can't really come up with a pattern that splices it together. :smoking:

• 2 weeks later...
On 22.2.2016 at 7:48 PM, Good Guy Garlan said:

He could've gotten a new cloak, in a parallel with Mance. Plus, Leaf said they killed him long ago, and "long ago" could very well be thousands of years for near-immortal beings like the Children. 

But the CoF knows that he adresses a kid. And long ago for a human child is "two years ago".

On 2/21/2016 at 6:56 PM, King of the Narrow Sea said:

I have always liked this theory.

On 22/2/2016 at 9:58 AM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

The real question about Coldhands, which some have alluded to in this thread, is whether or not BR is warging him, or he is himself conscious.

This should be answer before we try to add an identity to Coldhands. If he is being warged by Bloodraven then it could be any death Night's Watch brother, maybe the one who hidden the dragonglass near the Fist of the First Men. He could be some random brother and his identity when living might not be important at all.

If he is self-consciuos, he should be related (in his life) to the Children and/or the White Walkers. I don't think he is related to Bloodraven (one of the Raven's teeth, beacuse:

On 22/2/2016 at 10:48 AM, Good Guy Garlan said:

Leaf said they killed him long ago, and "long ago" could very well be thousands of years for near-immortal beings like the Children. 

I like the theory of him being Lord Commander Hoare (it explain nicely the Nightfort secrets) or even the Night's King (who could be a Brandon Stark, hence:

On 22/2/2016 at 8:02 PM, Curled Finger said:

Coldhands himself states that he's "your monster Brandon Stark" which could be taken at least 2 ways, that he is Bran's monster or that he is a monster named Brandon Stark. 

The only thing that I'm certain is that, unless we see him again, we will never know who he was. (And even if he appear again, we might not have a definite answer). And even if we have answer, people will theorize that is a red herring or to obvious and he is secretely someone else.

On 21/02/2016 at 11:44 PM, Falcon2908 said:

Many many years ago there was something called the raven's teeth, a company of longbow men, who were commanded by Bloodraven.

When Bloodraven was sent to the Wall, many of these raven teeth followed and took the black like him.  I believe Coldhands to be one of them.

I always thought this was the case. 

I'm hoping that because he sort of swears his allegiance to Bran (I am your monster) Coldhands may show up again in the story.    I'm not so certain that what he was is as important as what he has become.  

He's one of the 79\69 sentinels, and Its obvious of you look back.

1. He would have been a ranger long ago as per description and also gives an answer to who "them" is

2. The story's mentioned just before he's introduced

The most key piece of evidence however:

3. The sentinels were bound to serve the watch IN DEATH for having deserted in life. 

Its his origin story, identity, and explains the magic behind being so different from the other sights all in one to. Once you get it, it's pretty obvious. Any other theory will have some trumped up reason for why CH is bound to service, while this is simple and laid out in the text, as there is no other reason for this story. Occam's razor

Archived