Jump to content
Rhaenys_Targaryen

Small Questions v. 10105

Recommended Posts

He sure was, having built Winterfell and the magical structures of the Wall and Storm's End and also the Hightower.

eta: and he was named Brandon...

Edited by Jon Weirgaryen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, winterfellbeyondthewall said:

This was kind of what I had in mind but I can't seem to find any source that claims this.

Here's the relevant part of the tale of the construction of Storm's End...

Quote

Some said the children of the forest helped him build it, shaping the stones with magic; others claimed that a small boy told him what he must do, a boy who would grow to be Bran the Builder.

Catelyn III, Clash 31

Does this suggest there could have been a collaboration? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Here's the relevant part of the tale of the construction of Storm's End...

Catelyn III, Clash 31

Does this suggest there could have been a collaboration? 

I would read that specific quote as two possible scenario's, not a collaboration between the two. However, from TWOIAF:

Maester Childer's Winter's Kings, or the Legends and Lineages of the Starks of Winterfell contains a part of a ballad alleged to tell of the time Brandon the Builder sought the aid of the children while raising the Wall. 

So while it doesn't appear to be the case for the building of Storm's End, for the Wall, Brandon did seek the aid of the Children, according to song, to build the Wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I would read that specific quote as two possible scenario's, not a collaboration between the two. However, from TWOIAF:

Maester Childer's Winter's Kings, or the Legends and Lineages of the Starks of Winterfell contains a part of a ballad alleged to tell of the time Brandon the Builder sought the aid of the children while raising the Wall. 

So while it doesn't appear to be the case for the building of Storm's End, for the Wall, Brandon did seek the aid of the Children, according to song, to build the Wall.

I know it's worded as two alternatives, but in context, I read it to suggest that both legends had a kernel of truth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I know it's worded as two alternatives, but in context, I read it to suggest that both legends had a kernel of truth. 

I agree with you that both legends may have some truth to them.

I've often wondered if Brandon the Builder is a nod to Merlin from the King Arthur stories. Various tales have Merlin solving the engineering challenges of raising Vortigern's Tower and creating Stonehenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I know it's worded as two alternatives, but in context, I read it to suggest that both legends had a kernel of truth. 

Possible, especially combined with the quote regarding the building of the Wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2016 at 8:55 AM, The Fattest Leech said:

So, clearly we need a Handbook for the Recently Warged. I guess it depends on the warger/skinchanger and their own abilities? I wonder why Bran just lays there (lies there?) in the snow? Oh well. My idea bubble has been popped regardless.

The difference might be that Bran is skin changing a human while all other examples involve animals.  Taking over a human host might require the skin changer's whole attention.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the beginning of the books they say this has been a very long summer, does it say anywhere how long it's been? I believe they say Bran has only ever known summer so it atleast like 7 or 8 years right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Dames do Moan said:

At the beginning of the books they say this has been a very long summer, does it say anywhere how long it's been? I believe they say Bran has only ever known summer so it atleast like 7 or 8 years right?

During Bran I:

It was the ninth year of summer, and the seventh of Bran's life.

About a year later, (Prologue, ACOK), the summer comes to an end having lasted exactly ten years, two months, and sixteen days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

During Bran I:

It was the ninth year of summer, and the seventh of Bran's life.

About a year later, (Prologue, ACOK), the summer comes to an end having lasted exactly ten years, two months, and sixteen days. 

Thanks much, so that white raven in aCoK meant autumn right? And then the white raven in the epilogue of aDwD means winter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three questions concerning the Martells and Mellario.

What year did Doran attempt to have Arianne brought to Tyrosh to meet Viserys? 

What year did Mellario return to Norvos?  (This is the same year that Doran attempted to have Arianne meet with Viserys in Tyrosh, correct?)

What year did Doran visit Mellario in Norvos?  (It's mentioned in one of Arianne's chapters, but I forget which one.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not so much a question about the book, as about the fandom on this forum:

Who is this Preston Jacobs who people keep mentioning, and why is he universally hated? I really don't know anything about this guy, so I need someone to fill me in on why he's so unpopular. Did he dare to say the show was better or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Maester of Valyria said:

Not so much a question about the book, as about the fandom on this forum:

Who is this Preston Jacobs who people keep mentioning, and why is he universally hated? I really don't know anything about this guy, so I need someone to fill me in on why he's so unpopular. Did he dare to say the show was better or something?

Basically he's just some youtube comentator whose crime it is to state theories that oft are a little too farfetched.

Edited by The Snow Bear
typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Snow Bear said:

Basically he's just some youtube comentator whose crime it is to state theories that oft are a little too farfetched.

I haven't really followed the situation, but my understanding was that his crime was using other people's art and stuff (maybe theories also?) without permission or credit in his videos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×