The positive (gasp!) GoT discussion thread (Spoilers)

Joe Pesci

Ep4, absolutely fantastic!  We're starting to see some real progress in the plot once more.  The only thing I really didn't like is that after being out of the series for so long it was a bit of a waste of Osha.  The Ironborn scene irked me too, but they always do (book and show).  I find it highly unlikely that Theon could've made his way back like that.  Instantly recognisable, winter etc.  No way he could just make his own way back.  They should have had him go to Castle Black instead and had him make his way home from there.

And it finally looks like Dany is on the move.  I think it will go down similar in the books but instead of her burning the temple it will be a Drogon who swoops in to rescue her and she'll probably burn it riding him.  That will unite all the Dothraki under her.

The Pink Letter is an interesting one.  The show intentionally trolling the book readers and doing it completely differently?  Or after all the speculation maybe it was Ramsey who sent it and the show has remained more true to the books than us book readers realise (or maybe that is why GRRM is now taking so long to write the book, because he is changing it to ensure it isn't the same as his original intentions that the show have used).

Loving Sansa being back with Jon, her plot in the show is currently so much superior to that in the books and the rape scene is also starting to fit in with the context of what is to come.  And as predicted we finally get to see that Davos doesn't know what happened to Stannis or Shireen yet.

I just wish they'd dispense with the Sparrow nonsense and get on with it already.......

I have watched inside the episode videos and there are spoilers in those. In "stay strong" video Loras has cut his hair like Cersei in the last season. Also Marg has a dress and look like seh choose to be a nun of Faith. Loras will admit the accusations and make his walk of shame? I think we will say good by to Loras.Tyrell siblings can not stand to HS anymore.

18 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Couldn't be more serious considering the thread I posted this in. The show has done mostly everything better. I've pretty much given up on George and look forward to Beinoff and Weiss closing this series out. I have more confidence in them providing us with an ending. I was not satisfied with the last 2 books. Martin has lost control of his story.

The entitlement is real with you isn't it? Still I can't disagree with the books becoming water logged since we all know Jon snow will be King in the end, and no amount of writing will ever make it feel earned. The show has one bit I am looking forward to, and that's daenerys death. I am not so cheering much for it, but wondering if she will die much like lyanna stark, or if she and drogon go out together. I can make cases for both based on book and show. 

Finally I have something positive to say about this show :D Ep 4 was better than the three previous combined. I will just say Stark reunion:wub: I'm not asking for anything else. Finally something nice to happen in between all the horror:rolleyes: Also, after 5,4 seasons Dany is not borringB) Yaaay:smoking:

Loved the Jon/Sansa reunion. To see her finally connect with someone she can trust and who is family was heart-warming and a long time coming. She could finally relax, and breathe and even smile again. 

LIKED:

(not many things because no Bran and no Arya in this episode)

1. Theon and Asha reunited
  2. -Grew Worm and Missandei don't like Tyrion as their boss:lmao:
  3. Jon's new haircut and two Starks (Jon and Sansa) reunited
  4. -Jorah finds Dany
  5. -Jorah sees Dany again and bows because she is his khalessi
  6. -Marg doesn't like THS 
  7. -Tormund may find Brienne attractive :mellow:
  8. Brienne doesn't like The Red Woman= Bye bye Melisandre
  9. Sansa cares about Rickon. Jon may care about Rickon
  10. -Dany turns Aerys mode , she is crazy, or either extremely bad written. Let's hope the former.

I keep forgetting about this thread.

Anyhoo, I would have been disappointed at the Dany situation were it not for the fact that I've already decided her story sucks in both novels and show, and that we're doomed to watch her be glorious in either genre until she dies a glorious death. I might use her show bits for bathroom breaks in the future.

Other than that, much better than the last episode which imo sucked. Loved all the sister-brother meetings here:

• Sansa-Jon meeting warmed my cold heart and justified the decision to send Sansa north. They are cute together.
  • Loved the scene between Marg and Loras. Happy that Marg is resisting the HS, and plotting to save her brother.
  • Theon and Yara Asha are brilliant. Great acting, great chemistry between them.

Brienne and Tormund make a cute couple. May they work the Alys Karstark-wildling plot between them.

Most of all, though, I appreciate the show's concentration on the wildlings. From a northern pov, the wildlings are THE enemies. Again from a northern pov, Jon is a lord commander who deserted his post, allowed wildlings past the Wall, and is now leading these barbarians further into the north. That is enough to draw northern support for the Boltons. I've also believed that the novel Pink Letter was written by Ramsay, and would be followed by Ramsay's decision to send an army against Castle Black. It's nice to see the show working that angle.

16 minutes ago, kimim said:

I keep forgetting about this thread.

Anyhoo, I would have been disappointed at the Dany situation were it not for the fact that I've already decided her story sucks in both novels and show, and that we're doomed to watch her be glorious in either genre until she dies a glorious death. I might use her show bits for bathroom breaks in the future.

Other than that, much better than the last episode which imo sucked. Loved all the sister-brother meetings here:

• Sansa-Jon meeting warmed my cold heart and justified the decision to send Sansa north. They are cute together.
  • Loved the scene between Marg and Loras. Happy that Marg is resisting the HS, and plotting to save her brother.
  • Theon and Yara Asha are brilliant. Great acting, great chemistry between them.

Brienne and Tormund make a cute couple. May they work the Alys Karstark-wildling plot between them.

Most of all, though, I appreciate the show's concentration on the wildlings. From a northern pov, the wildlings are THE enemies. Again from a northern pov, Jon is a lord commander who deserted his post, allowed wildlings past the Wall, and is now leading these barbarians further into the north. That is enough to draw northern support for the Boltons. I've also believed that the novel Pink Letter was written by Ramsay, and would be followed by Ramsay's decision to send an army against Castle Black. It's nice to see the show working that angle.

Daniel Sackheim (the director for the last two episodes) said that the Tormund/Brienne thing was just a one off. Nothing will come of it. There will be no budding relationship here. Brienne is leaving for the Riverlands. Tormund is going to war against the Boltons/Umbers/Karstarks. There is no future romantic chemistry here. This really isn't hard to understand.

1 minute ago, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

I really wonder if Dany is going down the Mad Queen "burn them all" route..

I think she will. However, she won't now she is mad until it will be too late and she will regret that; because she is not bad, she is just "empowered".

That's the tragedy. I suspect Jorah and Daario will be involved too. 

33 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Daniel Sackheim (the director for the last two episodes) said that the Tormund/Brienne thing was just a one off. Nothing will come of it. There will be no budding relationship here. Brienne is leaving for the Riverlands. Tormund is going to war against the Boltons/Umbers/Karstarks. There is no future romantic chemistry here...

Thank you :) I don't listen to director interviews, and was going with what I saw on the show. It'd be possible to recreate the Karstark-wildling alliance with Brienne and Tormund, as she is a northerner, and the northerners need to realize what Mormont got: Wildlings are human. The Walkers are not. It's time to stop bickering and unite against the zombies...which sounds trite, but I think that's where both the novels and show are going.

32 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I think she will. However, she won't now she is mad until it will be too late and she will regret that; because she is not bad, she is just "empowered".

That's the tragedy. I suspect Jorah and Daario will be involved too. 

She's not going mad in either books or show (imo). Her mistakes in Meereen were her learning experience, capped with her epiphany in the desert. The Dothraki will bow before her, as they do in the show. I suspect the Volantenes are about to revolt, and their slave-sailors will bow before her, too, giving her that navy. Since Clash, Dany has been the weak link in both novels and show. In both, she'll smug her way to glory.

1 hour ago, kimim said:

She's not going mad in either books or show (imo). Her mistakes in Meereen were her learning experience, capped with her epiphany in the desert. The Dothraki will bow before her, as they do in the show. I suspect the Volantenes are about to revolt, and their slave-sailors will bow before her, too, giving her that navy. Since Clash, Dany has been the weak link in both novels and show. In both, she'll smug her way to glory.

I don't know what will Dany's destiny be. It may be these as you say, or either she going mad.

Anyway, I don't expect she just reconquering Westeros without not having to do any difficult situation or something. She'll probably have to face difficult decisions, involving executions, and I think fire will be involved. She has the temper. And it has been settled.

24 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I don't know what will Dany's destiny be. It may be these as you say, or either she going mad.

Anyway, I don't expect she just reconquering Westeros without not having to do any difficult situation or something. She'll probably have to face difficult decisions, involving executions, and I think fire will be involved. She has the temper. And it has been settled.

I don't think she's going mad.  D&D felt they needed to put Dany in a situation where she saves herself without the need of her Dragons and that's what they came up with.  The music in the show is indicative of how they want us to perceive the scene; and to me it seemed like the soundtrack is uplifting and triumphant. To me it's no different to how Arya took out Meryn Trant, it was an uncomfortable scene but we are supposed to root for Arya.  Now maybe this is my bias kicking in as I really like her book character and wouldn't wish for her to succumb to madness.

2 hours ago, Darksky said:

Season 6 has been killing it. And we're still in for so much more.

Killing what exactly ? The plot? The suspension of disbelief? The story that GRRM has been telling, I definitely agree that season 6 has been killing a lot of things! 

Things and people.....

2 hours ago, Neds Secret said:

Killing what exactly ? The plot? The suspension of disbelief? The story that GRRM has been telling, I definitely agree that season 6 has been killing a lot of things! 

well, maybe killing the traitors was something amazing for some people.....

I liked Roose being killed red wedding style btw :) 

4 hours ago, Neds Secret said:

The story Martin stopped telling you mean? This is the positive thread btw. Land of Always Ranting is the other thread.

Archived