The positive (gasp!) GoT discussion thread (Spoilers)

Joe Pesci

Hi, I'm new to the forum and glad to see a positive thread about the series....I made the mistake of looking through a bit of the R & R thread and it just made me annoyed!

I enjoy both the show and the books and I'm happy to separate the showverse from the bookverse.  I think the acting is excellent on the show, and I love how grey most of the characters are.  There are no absolute good or bad characters (although some come very close to full evil) it gives them more realism and as a viewer you find yourself momentarily feeling empathy towards even the most hateful character.  I think with a TV budget they have done some incredible set pieces, which are just getting better each year.

The show isn't perfect, nothing ever is, but it's one of my favourite current TV shows so I can't wait for season 6!

16 minutes ago, MrsStocksey said:

Hi, I'm new to the forum and glad to see a positive thread about the series....I made the mistake of looking through a bit of the R & R thread and it just made me annoyed!

I enjoy both the show and the books and I'm happy to separate the showverse from the bookverse.  I think the acting is excellent on the show, and I love how grey most of the characters are.  There are no absolute good or bad characters (although some come very close to full evil) it gives them more realism and as a viewer you find yourself momentarily feeling empathy towards even the most hateful character.  I think with a TV budget they have done some incredible set pieces, which are just getting better each year.

The show isn't perfect, nothing ever is, but it's one of my favourite current TV shows so I can't wait for season 6!

Nice to have you on board! Look forward to more sensible posts from you! :)

17 minutes ago, MrsStocksey said:

You are so very welcome, MrsStocksey!

I've also been re-watching the show recently, just started season 5 again. 

I definitely think it's much better if you can watch all the episodes close together (ideally in a marathon weekend session!) as you really get a better idea of the story arcs and the direction the show has taken.  Looking forward to watching Hardhome again...mind blown first time!

Something else that I count as a positive aspect of the show in a broader sense and that I am really thankful for is the merchandise (both official and 3rd party) and additional source material it's success helped to produce.

The World oIaF, the Lands oIaF, the Dunk & Egg graphic novels and the cookbook are all absolutely great and without question were produced largely due to the shows populatity.

58 minutes ago, Rhollo said:

Something else that I count as a positive aspect of the show in a broader sense and that I am really thankful for is the merchandise (both official and 3rd party) and additional source material it's success helped to produce.

The World oIaF, the Lands oIaF, the Dunk & Egg graphic novels and the cookbook are all absolutely great and without question were produced largely due to the shows populatity.

The Worldbook is awesome! And I'm not just saying that to suck up to site management ;)

It's like the Silmarillion for ASOIAF lovers, and it answered some questions I had after reading TPatQ. 

Acting overall is great. Sets overall are great. Cinematic shots are great. And after not reading new fantasy material since 2000 the first two seasons convinced me to read the books for which I'm very grateful.

A few early reviews for the premiere claim that the first episode is pretty good, obviously they don't have a lot of information on plot details, but the crux of the review is that the show may not have hit new heights but its definitely as good as it's ever been. So I'm hoping that it goes back to the excellent heights it reached at the peak of its powers, somewhere I'd say along the lines of season 3 and 4. 

I love the music in GOT. The best use of it was in the opening and closing scenes of season 4. We started the season with the slowly building "Reynes of Castamere" as Tywin reforges Ice. A perfect demonstration of Lannister power and the use of "his" music to inform the audience of his authority. 

But in one of the closing scenes of season 4, Tywin is dead and the Reynes of Castamere slowly transitions into the main theme showing how in spite of his best efforts he still lost the game, as anyone can, and the era of Lannister is over.   

• 2 weeks later...

Quick note: I am all for this thread, but have it be about the show, please, just as the original poster asked. Commentary on other threads is not what the thread is about.

16 minutes ago, Rhollo said:

Killing the Dorne plotline asap this season was a good decision.

What makes you think it's killed?  Ellaria and the horrible sand snakes are alive and two of them are in king's landing.  Since they chose to kill Doran and not the Sand snakes, it stands to reason we are seeing them again.

Archived