The positive (gasp!) GoT discussion thread (Spoilers)

Joe Pesci

12 minutes ago, Khione said:

That's another positive thing about GOT. It elicits strong emotions, can't look at it with indifference. Fans and haters alike are obsessed with it. The latter maybe even more than the former.

I rant and rave quite a bit, but I wouldn't call myself a hater. More a fan that's just disappointed by the decay in quality compared to earlier seasons (that made me a fan), the wasted potential and lack of attention to detail.

Eliciting that kind of emotion from a viewer is hardly positive.

22 minutes ago, Khione said:

That's another positive thing about GOT. It elicits strong emotions, can't look at it with indifference. Fans and haters alike are obsessed with it. The latter maybe even more than the former.

The hatred is unlike nothing I have experienced anywhere else, even when other adaptations have been made which don't fit into readers perceptions of what it should be. It amazes me sometimes, especially the purposeful misunderstanding, exaggeration and outright deception as to what was depicted on screen. I don't get why people would continue to do that.

Either way, I still think GoT is one of the most miraculous shows on tv. You can't imagine that a fantasy show like this would have ever gotten made. I remember reading about it a couple of years before it appeared on tv, and was highly uninterested. The idea of a large fantasy series filled me with dread, how could anyone pull it off without it being ridiculous. And the show has done it. Its managed to pull in great actors, directors, writers and production houses to create possibly the biggest show in the world, unexpectedly. The work on it cannot be appreciated enough. 

When the season starts, I think I'd like to start a "Praise and Positivity without repercussion" thread for each episode to counter the other one. They can do their thing without interruption, and I hope they'll let us do ours. 

@Rhollo Do you actually consider seasons 2 and 3 to be better? 

I'd rate seasons 1 and 4 above 5, but not those two, in which the arcs of the two most important characters (besides Tyrion) were a mess. Talking about Jon and Dany of course. Both characters  and their stories have evolved greatly.

Never cared much about Stannis and his downfall was fitting, quite Macbeth-esque. It also broke the great military general going out in a blaze of glory trope. Sansa in Winterfell didn't bother me at all. At least we didn't get the mess that is fArya/Jeyne Poole arc. And Dorne took up what? 20-30 minutes at most? Too small a subplot for me to judge the entire season on it.

The rest was good to great to fucking awesome. The production value also increased immensely.

2 hours ago, dsug said:

When the season starts, I think I'd like to start a "Praise and Positivity without repercussion" thread for each episode to counter the other one. They can do their thing without interruption, and I hope they'll let us do ours. 

There were threads like that called "positive nitpicks" if I remember correctly last season, it's just that the number of posts in these threads were very low.

Nina Gold's casting is almost always to the point. She really deserved that Emmy. I am really amazed how good al lot of those younger actors turned to be (even Art who plays Rickon - he was really good in his last scene). 

And I personally really liked Natalia Tena's Osha. She is just so amazing. Her relationship with Bran feels so more fleshed out in the show than in the books. 

Best scene of the show is of course when Osha, Rickon and Bran say goodbye :crying:. It is so sad and beautiful written.  

Casting has always been one of the show's strong points. I am really  looking forward to the Kingsmoot and all the new characters. I hope DD have taken some of the writing criticism to heart for season 5 and try to use GRRMs words as much as possible for season 6, esp in the storylines that have been written in the books.

21 hours ago, dsug said:

There has always been such a thread for each episode, at least in my recollection.

On March 26, 2016 at 8:10 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Soundtrack of seasons 1-4. Season 5 wasn't a bad soundtrack exactly, it just had nothing especially memorable for me, and it all sounded it a bit same-old-same old. But 1-4 was brilliant (I really enjoy soundtracks of films and tv so this is always a huge + for me).

Others people have already said, like casting (Harry Lloyd :wub: ). The last three episodes of Season 1 are probably some of the best work the show has done too.

Agreed the back half of season one is far and away the best run of eps in the shows history imo. Season 1 is nearly a perfect season and one of my favorites from any show. 

The casting is pretty much unanimously spot on and the music is awesome as everyone has said. 

On April 1, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Woman of War said:

Read Sharon Penman, The Sunne in Splendour

Such a great book. All Penmans Plantagenet books are top notch.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

There has always been such a thread for each episode, at least in my recollection.

Yeah but I remember towards the end of last year, some people just made it sarcastic and sucked the fun out. We need to give it another shot this year haha. 

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 1:56 AM, A Ghost of Someone said:

He was perfect as Viserys.

I agree. And that minute just before he was killed, when he thought Drogo had agreed to his demands, it was so well acted - that sudden naïve smile - made you almost feel sorry for him - which is no mean feat when the character has just threatened to rip his sister's unborn child from her womb.

24 minutes ago, Nymeria's pack said:

I agree. And that minute just before he was killed, when he thought Drogo had agreed to his demands, it was so well acted - that sudden naïve smile - made you almost feel sorry for him - which is no mean feat when the character has just threatened to rip his sister's unborn child from her womb.

"That is all I ever wanted", makes me pause every time I remember him saying that.

4 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

"That is all I ever wanted", makes me pause every time I remember him saying that.

That feel... The actor nailed Viserys' character. As much as how much of an asshole Viserys, the actor was spot on with Viserys suffering.

7 hours ago, The Arthur Smith said:

That feel... The actor nailed Viserys' character. As much as how much of an asshole Viserys, the actor was spot on with Viserys suffering.

Viserys, for all of his faults, did raise dany as best he could but seemingly the inbreeding Targaryen practice afflicted him and the stress of his and dany being who they were made him snap at one point. In the books, dany thinks it was when he had to sell their mother's crown to feed them both. That is what they were reduced to.

On 2/4/2016 at 6:40 PM, Rhollo said:

I rant and rave quite a bit, but I wouldn't call myself a hater. More a fan that's just disappointed by the decay in quality compared to earlier seasons (that made me a fan), the wasted potential and lack of attention to detail.

Eliciting that kind of emotion from a viewer is hardly positive.

same here!! I have a big problem with last season, but I liked the others.

On 2/4/2016 at 8:45 PM, dsug said:

It would be a nice idea.

Having seen the trailer, I think there will be some things I won't like (for instance Cersei and Jaime's relationship if it doesn't change) but others that I will like, because I've come to the conclusion that I can't compare it to the books.

So IMHO it would be perfect to have these two different kind of threads to express both the positive amazement but also the concerns.

Both are not incompatible.

Archived