NBA 2016 Playoffs Edition: Farewell, Kobe!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

48 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Interesting finish to Thunder vs Spurs in game 2. Couple of big no calls on the last possessions lead to the Thunder eking out a one point win. 

Everything went wrong at the end of the game. Still, it was a lot of fun to watch.

Are you having fun scouting your teams future free agent, ME?

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Interesting finish to Thunder vs Spurs in game 2. Couple of big no calls on the last possessions lead to the Thunder eking out a one point win. 

This is the result of all the "Let them play, refs!" whining. That last possession looked more like rugby than basketball. They let players blatantly push, shove and hold each other. Hell, Adams' arm was even held by a fan when he went into first row after his block attempt and tried to get back into court.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25575595

7 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I truly hope they don't go that route. If it ain't broke, and all that.

KD would be a significant upgrade over Barnes, but it would be bad for the league. 

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

KD would be a significant upgrade over Barnes, but it would be bad for the league. 

Eh, I'm convinced it would be bad for team chemistry. Durant demands touches. I don't really feel like there is a player on the Warriors that comes with this requirement. 

11 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Eh, I'm convinced it would be bad for team chemistry. Durant demands touches. I don't really feel like there is a player on the Warriors that comes with this requirement. 

Idk. He's shown he doesn't always have to get the most touches. And how could any team guard Curry, Klay, KD and Green as your 1-4?

Durant isn't going to the Warriors. It doesn't make sense for either side.

He's also not going anywhere this year, because he'll sign the deal that allows him to opt out wiht OKC after one year. When the dust settles basically everywhere except the most random teams will be in play. It also depends on what Russ wants to do.

The national media has never had anything close to the pulse of the OKC situation, because KD and Russ don't play the game of leaking them stuff, and because the national media cannot wrap their heads around the idea that someone might be okay with living in Oklahoma City.

22 minutes ago, sperry said:

Durant isn't going to the Warriors. It doesn't make sense for either side.

He's also not going anywhere this year, because he'll sign the deal that allows him to opt out wiht OKC after one year. When the dust settles basically everywhere except the most random teams will be in play. It also depends on what Russ wants to do.

The national media has never had anything close to the pulse of the OKC situation, because KD and Russ don't play the game of leaking them stuff, and because the national media cannot wrap their heads around the idea that someone might be okay with living in Oklahoma City.

I would also be very surprised if Durant left OKC this year.  I think the smart move is to stay one more year, make the decision with Westbrook about what to do.  The two of them together could make even the most helpless team a contender, and they aren't going to sign up anywhere that isn't a good fit. 

39 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I would also be very surprised if Durant left OKC this year.  I think the smart move is to stay one more year, make the decision with Westbrook about what to do.  The two of them together could make even the most helpless team a contender, and they aren't going to sign up anywhere that isn't a good fit. 

That would just be changing the location without changing the situation. And it would be difficult for them to join a decent-to-good team. If KD leaves this year he can join a top tier team while getting a max deal. It's the best move for him.

Why should he stay one more year and hurt his possible feature opportunities on a team that's likely already peaked?

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That would just be changing the location without changing the situation. And it would be difficult for them to join a decent-to-good team. If KD leaves this year he can join a top tier team while getting a max deal. It's the best move for him.

Why should he stay one more year and hurt his possible feature opportunities on a team that's likely already peaked?

He is not signing a max deal this year.  0% chance. The salary cap goes up by like 40% after next season.  He will sign the same deal that LeBron signed last year, which will allow him to opt out after one year, which he will do.  He will most likely sign that one year deal with OKC because he can then make the decision with Russell, while also not creating the awkward situation of going somewhere random for one year and then leaving for a third team.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk. He's shown he doesn't always have to get the most touches. And how could any team guard Curry, Klay, KD and Green as your 1-4?

But I'm not sure you need to add a 4th to that equation. The Warriors already have that luxury in spades. Barnes is no Durant, but he doesn't have to be. He can do enough damage when there are 3 guys on the floor that can't be ignored, plus he does the little things that I'm not sure Durant is going to do, and he already knows the system and accepts his role in it. This team doesn't need Durant, and I don't see why they'd break the bank to get something they don't need. It doesn't make any sense. 

12 minutes ago, sperry said:

He is not signing a max deal this year.  0% chance. The salary cap goes up by like 40% after next season.  He will sign the same deal that LeBron signed last year, which will allow him to opt out after one year, which he will do.  He will most likely sign that one year deal with OKC because he can then make the decision with Russell, while also not creating the awkward situation of going somewhere random for one year and then leaving for a third team.

The salary cap is going up a lot this offseason too. And the key thing is the luxury tax is going up an insane amount. The max  luxury tax amount is the same as the base cap will be the following season, so many believe teams will overspend this year to lock up as much talent as possible and eat a one time max luxury tax.

What does KD gain by staying one more year, besides possibly setting up a situation where he and Westbrook leave together for one destination? OKC will likely not win a championship this year or next, so it's just a waste of one of his prime years. Signing a short term deal with foot issues is also a risk that has to be considered. All things considered, I think KD is better off leaving this year and signing with Miami or GS.

18 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

But I'm not sure you need to add a 4th to that equation. The Warriors already have that luxury in spades. Barnes is no Durant, but he doesn't have to be. He can do enough damage when there are 3 guys on the floor that can't be ignored, plus he does the little things that I'm not sure Durant is going to do, and he already knows the system and accepts his role in it. This team doesn't need Durant, and I don't see why they'd break the bank to get something they don't need. It doesn't make any sense. 

And if Barnes wants a max deal, as many analysts have projected?

50 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The salary cap is going up a lot this offseason too. And the key thing is the luxury tax is going up an insane amount. The max  luxury tax amount is the same as the base cap will be the following season, so many believe teams will overspend this year to lock up as much talent as possible and eat a one time max luxury tax.

What does KD gain by staying one more year, besides possibly setting up a situation where he and Westbrook leave together for one destination? OKC will likely not win a championship this year or next, so it's just a waste of one of his prime years. Signing a short term deal with foot issues is also a risk that has to be considered. All things considered, I think KD is better off leaving this year and signing with Miami or GS.

Yes, the cap goes up a lot next year, but then takes a similar jump the following year. He loses tens of millions of dollars if he signs a max deal after this year, it's not going to happen. He could still leave after this year, but it just doesn't make a ton of sense unless he knows 100% he wants to leave and knows 100% what destination he wants to end up long term. Both of those factors have to be there for him to leave after this season.  Again, signing the one year deal and staying makes the most sense and is likely what he's going to do. All bets are off after next year.

Archived