Captain America 3 - Discussion and reviews (SPOILERS in tags until May 14th!)

denstorebog

On 5/18/2016 at 1:53 PM, Fez said:

Plenty of non-blockbusters are still well under 2 hours. The last movie I saw in theaters was Eye in the Sky last month, and it was 102 minutes. It was also fantastic.

Its certainly very rare among blockbusters though. Only 1 of the top-50 box office films of all time (not inflation-adjusted, so almost all are post-2000 releases) is under 2 hours, excluding animated films which are usually much shorter, and that's the Tim Burton-directed Alice in Wonderland at 108 minutes.

Yeah true. To be fair, the prices of movies in theatres these days makes people more selective of what they go to watch, even me personally I generally save the cinema for the big screen extravaganzas. Sad to say that, but thats just the way it is. I mean Civil war cost me £13.. to watch it in a crappy smelly room... that wasn't my own!

• 2 weeks later...

So...late to the party...FINALLY saw this.  I loved it, but until I can see it a second time I'm not certain I can put it ahead of Winter Soldier as the best Marvel U film yet...

Captain America is still my favorite hero.  Always has been. So I was predisposed to take his side, especially in his own movie.  That things were presented in a manner that still makes you question who is right was brilliant. 

Whomever mentioned up thread that this movie is rooted within the concept of loyalty and what that means, be it to an individual, a country, and ideal,  was absolutely correct. The Accords was as much of a MacGuffin in the film as the five super soldiers were.  

Every character had a moment to shine.  Spider-Man didn't feel as tacked on as he could have, though his introduction, how Stark knew to look for gim, was just about the clunkiest thing in the film. But I'm old school Avengers enough to think he doesn't actually belong on the Avengers in general.  I'm open to his next film, even if I kept hearing Tobey McGuire's voice coming from Holland's mouth...

I had a discussion with a friend the other day, and he brought up a point that I hadn't thought about. He equated The Avengers to drone strikes, and then wondered about the ramifications of individual responsibility vs government oversight.  With that conversation, I became a little more Team Iron Man.

My point is that several weeks after this movie came out, we can still have conversations about it. That is very solid writing.

I also saw this quite recently. The action was extremely good, all the characters were well-handled and Spiderman was fucking great. I'm going to go ahead and say it's the best MCU film to date (which is incredible, considering we're now 13 movies in). Definitely better than the Winter Soldier; never really understood all the love for that film.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2016 at 6:44 AM, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Certainly, I can't remember the last movie I saw that was under 2 hours and managed to tell a satisfying story. These days movies need 3+ hours to get to the end, and seemingly every single time there is a massive lull in the middle. 

Sorry to interrupt the bar stool,"Back in my day a farthing got you a seat in the cinema and a fizzy drink!" going on. But I just had to tell you if you're in the market for a minimalist cinematic experience then you should really see The Witch by writer/director Robert Eggers. Granted, it's not of the superhero genre, but it's got everything you're aching for. And someone else already mentioned Edge of Tomorrow / Live, Die, Repeat which I also recommend for a self contained sci-fi/action film that won't make yer arse numb.

12 minutes ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Sorry to interrupt the bar stool,"Back in my day a farthing got you a seat in the cinema and a fizzy drink!" going on. But I just had to tell you if you're in the market for a minimalist cinematic experience then you should really see The Witch by writer/director Robert Eggers. Granted, it's not of the superhero genre, but it's got everything you're aching for. And someone else already mentioned Edge of Tomorrow / Live, Die, Repeat which I also recommend for a self contained sci-fi/action film that won't make yer arse numb.

Actually, having said that, I did see the Witch and it was awesome. I forgot. Really its just about the big blockbusters out there, which all seem to have lost control of their running time.

25 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Actually, having said that, I did see the Witch and it was awesome. I forgot. Really its just about the big blockbusters out there, which all seem to have lost control of their running time.

See, some film makers out there do feel your pain.

What was your take on CAP 2? I thought that was a pretty great blockbuster that was very well paced. However, I can't really relate to your pain about the sprawling times of blockbusters in general. I personally like well paced blockbusters that go the 2-2.5 hr mark. Civil War I thought could've actually been longer (if it was edited differently to help with pacing) and included more about the status of SHIELD in relation to the TV show and T'Challa specifically. Another Tony/Peter scene could've worked too as the recruitment scene was probably the best non-action bit of the whole film. 

Cap 2 you mean Winter Soldier? I think I rate it the same as Civil War, probably the two best superhero movies out there. Winter Soldier's one flaw was that it was a really good spy drama / thriller up until they threw in the evil bad guy computer element which kind of shook me out of enjoying it as much.

But in terms of pacing, story, action those movies are well ahead of all the others.

I'd put Cap2 WS as my favorite in the Cap franchise, slightly above the first film which i really liked. Cap3 CW was good but I'd really put it on par with Batman v Superman in the pantheon of superhero films. Both CW & BvS suffered from pacing issues and too many plots & characters. 

Archived