Dayne dual wielding

1 hour ago, chambraigne said:

All these people talking about "realistic" dual-wielding and 4-on-1 sword fights who have never been in or seen a sword fight that wasn't cinematic. 

Exactly lol, guns and knives overtook swords long, long ago. I can't believe people actually pretend to know. Even if they really do waste their time studying sword fighting, they haven't been in one. It's Laughable, and this is coming from a person with 2oyrs of MA training who has studied knife fighting, so I have an appreciation for edged weapons.

Good choreography YES... realistic? not so much

Selmy at his old age fought multiple harpys with more realistic equipment for the kill count... dual swords that size should be a death sentence to anyone, dayne included unless the enemy soldiers are idiots...

But good fight to see, specially Oswell (woe to the guy who would kill me in 2 seconds if we had been) Whent gettin killed by THE NED (who himself might last 2 seconds with the usurper in sparring)

20 hours ago, Forlong the Fat said:

Was Dayne supposed to let Ned pick up his sword to avoid killing an unarmed man?  It didn't look like he was going to do it.

I'm not sure this hasn't been brought up before (haven't read the whole thread yet), but actually, that's exactly the thing Ser Arthur Dayne would do, and he had done so on at least one occasion: his fight with the Smiling Knight. The outlaw's blade broke, and Ser Arthur paused the fight to give his opponent an opportunity to pick a fresh sword.

15 hours ago, RoamingRonin said:

I used to think this as well but apparently it's not true. See this: https://49.media.tumblr.com/042a2d5c85843b4b7c3040fc45540f90/tumblr_o47hqvAleG1rbgia9o1_500.gif

It seems it was indeed possible for Ned to wield Ice in combat especially since Valyrian steel is lighter than common steel.

Yes, but this is not based on reality. We are told by the author within the story that Ned's sword is too unwieldy and is used strictly for ceremonial purposes.

4 hours ago, Noveson said:

You realize he had Dawn right?  You guys will complain about anything.  They literally show him stick it in the ground with a clear picture of the sun on the pommel. Also you will realize when Ned grabbed it he used two hands, not quite a two handed greatsword but it was still a decent size. 

Agree. The pommel is even clearly designed for a two-handed grip. Just happens that Arthur Dayne is able to swing it with one hand effortlessly. 

I don't understand why the dual blade shortswords of pirates and rogues is the blade of a distinguished honorable knight? A honorable knight dressed in plate, uses two swords for chopping at plate, instead of a Great Sword or a Bastard sword? In other legends is there a different between Lightbringer and Dawn?

I find it funny that the show was called realistic when it came to the Sansa rape, but when something completely unrealistic like dual-wielding happens most people praise it anyway. Unbelievable. 

Anyway, Dayne dual-wielding sucked. But that was the least of my problems. The main problem was that the show completely missed the feel of one of the most iconic scenes of the books. 

22 hours ago, Misnthropia said:

In the same very scene Bran says over and over about how Ned told stories about defeating Ser Arthur Dayne. For it to end with Reed stabbing him in the back is a pretty big discredit to Ned and his honor.

Here's what I suspect your problem is.  You believe that Ned's fever dream reflects the actual feel of the scene.  Ned's fever dream, including the stylized, poem-like dialogue, does not represent a realistic depiction of the historic event.

10 hours ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

Ice was a ceremonial sword. It wasnt used in battlle for the obvious reason that it was too big.

........................ He used it in the book................ the original source material....................... seriously?

EDIT!: I thought he used it in the book, and I still (like other fans as well) like to think he did. Still my bad. Swords that big were used in history though, and Ice is a Valyrian blade, meaning it probably could have been used by a strong Northman like Ned. Honestly seeing those two swords (Dawn in the book also being a greatsword) clash together would have been awesome! Plus we've never scene two Valyrian steel blades clash in the show, and also (save the Mountain who used it like a normal sword) haven't seen fighting with actual swords that require two hands.

I just think it would have looked cool.

8 hours ago, Noveson said:

They DID include Dawn in the show.  Are you all blind?  He stuck it in the ground right in front of the camera.  Huge sun on the pommel and that weird damascus steel pattern on the blade(which probably looks much better on screen than white..).  No it wasn't a massive greatsword, but since you're all complaining about how unrealistic dual wielding is, how unrealistic is it to duel with a 6 foot long sword!?

They used swords that large in history, and were taught dueling with them........... they weren't the best dueling weapons, but they used them if they had too, and a knight in full plate could totally rock a greatsword seeing as how the others longsword couldn't easily get through his armor.

5 hours ago, NSR or FD said:

Exactly lol, guns and knives overtook swords long, long ago. I can't believe people actually pretend to know. Even if they really do waste their time studying sword fighting, they haven't been in one. It's Laughable, and this is coming from a person with 2oyrs of MA training who has studied knife fighting, so I have an appreciation for edged weapons.

Please explain why studying it would be a waste.

Also there are many manuals showing how to properly wield historic blades, and are written in the time of the corresponding blades use. Even if nobody has been in an actual duel with swords, those who study it still have an idea of how one would properly go. If you look at sword fighting in movies you'll find that usually the most well known ones are the ones considered the most realistic, even to those who aren't into historical fencing.

Also it hasn't even been a century since swords stopped being used in the military. Do you think the second someone made a black powder rifle, that all of Europe suddenly went "well guys we may as well just start wearing coats, and use these things as paper weights"?

This being said, showing a completely realistic fight wouldn't be that entertaining as it would be pretty quick. "clash" "clang" "dead". But putting in a balance with a fight allows you to please everybody. I actually liked this fight, I simply object to this comment. There are other fights in the series though that could be better. Hound and Brienne fight had way too many spin moves for example...

22 minutes ago, TheKnightOfJests said:

Please explain why studying it would be a waste.

Also there are many manuals showing how to properly wield historic blades, and are written in the time of the corresponding blades use. Even if nobody has been in an actual duel with swords, those who study it still have an idea of how one would properly go. If you look at sword fighting in movies you'll find that usually the most well known ones are the ones considered the most realistic, even to those who aren't into historical fencing.

Also it hasn't even been a century since swords stopped being used in the military. Do you think the second someone made a black powder rifle, that all of Europe suddenly went "well guys we may as well just start wearing coats, and use these things as paper weights"?

This being said, showing a completely realistic fight wouldn't be that entertaining as it would be pretty quick. "clash" "clang" "dead". But putting in a balance with a fight allows you to please everybody. I actually liked this fight, I simply object to this comment. There are other fights in the series though that could be better. Hound and Brienne fight had way too many spin moves for example...

It's odd to me that people assume that a person universally acknowledged to be a peerless prodigy would be constrained by the training and techniques recommended for every schlub who happens to pick up a sword. 

7 hours ago, Faint said:

Yes, but this is not based on reality. We are told by the author within the story that Ned's sword is too unwieldy and is used strictly for ceremonial purposes.

Oh, I missed that. Did GRRM say it or its mentioned in the books?

15 hours ago, Nami said:

Honestly, not having Dawn or having it differently than the book description is such a nitpick, and pointless
Look at this show, are you really worried about a god damn sword being innacurate?

My thoughts exactly. Come on, guys.

The fight sequence was excellent, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Bran said he had heard the story a "thousand" times. Presumably from Old Nan etc and it will have grown arms and legs over the years. Ned certainly didn't seem the type to be boastful.

8 minutes ago, YoungGriff89 said:

I wasn't crazy about Ser Arthur dual wielding but damned if that wasn't the best fight sequence we've seen on this show in some time.

I agree! (But i also liked the duel wielding because it was awesome). I just loved how Dayne was organising the opponents, walking backwards to draw them in & not stupidly just standing in the middle. Why they weren't on higher ground, using the tower to their advantage we don't know but hey ho, awesome fight scene!

Did anyone see where Howland Reed was during the fight? I'm sure we were privy to a long-shot of Ned & Dayne & I couldn't see Howland anywhere? Where was he hiding? He came from nowhere...

Archived